“Great meal and great service”
Review of Brasserie L'ecole

Brasserie L'ecole
Ranked #36 of 1,204 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
Toronto
“Great meal and great service”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had one night for a dinner in Victoria and this was one of a few options we had considered. We were not disappointed! The place does not take reservations so when we showed up with a party of three at 9:30 we were told there would be a 1 hour wait. We were prepared for it so we headed to the nearby Rialto for a drink to kill that hour. We got back to the restaurant in time and found it surprisingly small inside. The food was great - my steak and frites were delicious. Our friend ordered the tagliatelle with rabbit meat and the other dish was rockfish. Recommendable as long as you're willing to stand the long wait to get a table.

• Visited September 2013

Seattle, Washington
“Delicious and unpretentious”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were in Victoria for a quick 2 day trip and stopped in for dinner at Brasserie L'Ecole. Even though they don't take reservations, they do take your phone number to call when you're table is ready. We took a walk and browsed some stores in the neighborhood. The service was friendly, but not overbearing. The food was wonderful.

We started with the chicken liver mousse and moules (sans frites), which were both fantastic! They give you a few options for mussel preparation. We got the mussels with pancetta/tomato. It was so good, we kept the sauce afterwards and dipped frites that came with the entrees and bread into it all night and actually just enjoyed the broth with a spoon like it was soup. I've had mussels in Belgium, Quebec City, LA, NY, etc and these were probably the best I've had. They mussels were incredibly fresh. No strange tinny flavor that some mussels have. My father in law got the french onion soup. I would say to skip the french onion soup. The gruyere was delicious and stinky, but the broth lacked flavor.

Our four entrees (bavette steak, burger, fish, chicken legs) were delicious. I had the chicken leg entree, but tried everyone else's as well. I rarely order chicken at restaurants because they tend to serve dry and over cooked chicken. This chicken was perfect. Crispy skin and juicy meat. The mushroom sauce with dumplings was wonderful. The dumplings were light, yet had a good chew and were nicely seared to add another level of texture. I could have eaten a plate of dumplings and sauce!

I will definitely be back for everything except the soup.

• Visited September 2013
Victoria, Canada
“Consistant quality”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have eatten at Brasserie several times and everytime the food and service is excellent . As much as steak frites seems to be the most popular here , I really find fish and foul and Pork to be my favs as they are always cooked perfectly and personally more interesting. From the front door to the kitchen everything is seemless and consistant high quality. Love it.

• Visited August 2013
Vancouver
“A little bit of the Parisien feel outside of Paris”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

What a wonderful experience for the palette. The food is like an explosion of taste in your mouth. I started with the stuffed almonds and wished I had ordered 4 instead of 2. I then moved onto the hamburger which defies description. This is not your regular run of the mill hamburger but a true taste experience. It just melts in your mouth. The restaurant has a true Parisien feel to it, great menu, and wonderful servers. Highly recommend a trip to Brasserie L'ecole next time you're in Victoria.

Visited September 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely Restaurant”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We ate hear in August having read some reviews on Trip Advisor. It's true you can't book ahead but we popped in early evening and despite them being busy they booked us a table for a little later in the evening and we went and had a nice drink at a recommended nearby hotel bar.The service was friendly and the staff new the menu and were able to describe the different dishes to us. You won't go hungry here, the portions were a good size and tasted lovely. The onion soup was amazing and my steak was cooked perfectly. While the restaurant is small you don't feel squashed in and it has a lovely atmosphere perfect for a romantic meal for two.

• Visited August 2013