“This is a Bistro”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a nice little bistro in an intimate long, thin room with nice bar seating and about 12 (?) small tables. They dont take reservations, and on our last weekday visit the line up just before opening at 5.30 pm pretty much filled the place for the first hour. It is very popular with locals and the service is good. We had raw oysters, trout and braised beef. The dishes were all good quality, fresh, and nice sauces. We ordered an extra chard side dish to make up for the lack of vegetables included in the mains. The steak and frites (from previous visits) is very bare bones. They purchase from local producers on some of their items. This is an OK place for casual French style dining but nothing spectacular. Selection of good French wines by the glass is a strength (but no local choices) I prefer Cafe Brio which is comparable, has a bit more imagination in the kitchen, and takes reservations.

4  Thank Ruperto

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Can't fault the ambience, or the service. The wine was good, and we had a great evening. But the food really fell short. We went for broke: appetizers, wine, main, dessert, coffee. My tuna appetizer ended up being blobs of food nicely arranged on a plate, but that didn't really speak to each other. Pear, tuna, some crispy thing: all just ended up on my fork tasting like tuna, pear, some crispy thing. Nothing melded, there was no flavour explosion, none of the flavours enhanced the others. Then the main, the beef robelon was very well-cooked and the pea puree was excellent. The plate looked great! But the glaze/gravy on the meat was sooo salty. And there was no real substance to it. It's easy when slow cooking meat to add nuance and subtlety to the gravy, but I swear the sauce was mostly a reduction of HP sauce and salt, and 24 hours later it's the salty flavour I remember the most. Dessert was just OK. My friend's fries with her moules + frites were soggy and so so. So I can't figure out why a restaurant that is so popular and has such a great reputation doesn't try and fix the things that can so easily be fixed. I remember my father saying you should judge a restaurant by its sauces, and on that criteria, the restaurant fails. Too bad, it could so easily be great. Charge a bit more, and fix the food. Everyone in Victoria will still come in droves.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

My Fiance and I went here on our first night in Victoria. It was a Friday night and there was two hour wait but we got lucky as some folks left the bar so the owner came outside as we were leaving and told us the good news. The bartender was very helpful with recommendations. We had the mussels, trout, olives, and one of the figs. It was one of our favorite meals while on our honeymoon. The bartender was also helpful in tips on other restaurants to try in town. We went to Camilles and to Jam Cafe based on his recommendations and were very glad we did. Great first impression of Victoria! thanks Mike and Jess

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I was recently in Victoria for business and my spouse came along with me. We used tripadvisor and yelp to find.places to eat. The best meal we had all week was at Brassiere L'ecole. we also ate at Camille's, Ferris's and at the Noodle House in Chinatown.
Right from the start we were greeted by a happy, excited host who made us feel welcome. Our server had a big smile for us, happily answered questions about the menu and Belgian beer list and then left us to enjoy our meal once our food arrived.
The feel of the place was great, wonderful French music was playing. It is the kind of place that was not upright at all and everone appeared to be having a great time.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Hostess was really nice as well as our waitress. They were very attentive to our table. The reason for the not so good review is solely due to the food. It really was not anything special. Mind you - we didn't try any of the meat items so maybe they were good!

3  Thank Underground2000