“My Favorite Restaurant of ALL time”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Brasserie L'ecole

Brasserie L'ecole
Ranked #35 of 1,180 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Seattle, Washington
“My Favorite Restaurant of ALL time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I visited Brasserie L'ecole the last time I was in Victoria, about 5 years ago. When I got home I couldn't stop telling everyone about how great this place is; the atmosphere, staff, food, drinks, etc, etc. So when I made it up there again this last weekend it was a not to be missed stop on the agenda. Again, I was not dissappointed! Had the French 75 champagne cocktail to start. The menu changes every night, so it is always a surprise as to what you will be offered, I stuck with the reliable 8 oz sirloin, med rare, cooked absolutely perfect! Mom had the pork chop with fruit relish and squash, the chop was cooked perfectly. Since coming home, can't stop talking about my favorite French restaraunt, cannot wait to visit again!

There are no reservations accepted, make sure to arrive before the restaurant opens, there will be a line out front. If you do not make the first seating, you can be added to the "wait list" and come back later in the evening at a specific time.

• Visited November 2012

Toronto, Canada
“Great steak frites and bistro atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great food and attentive staff. Were a little concerned about the line-up at opening time - but we both got in, and were seated at a table for 4 (I REALLY appreciated they did not split this table in 2 to seat 4, even with a few people waiting by the time we finished and left. Menu changes daily, but the famous steak frites seem to be a fixture (although I think the cuts and sizes change daily).

Visited October 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Definitely not Paris, definitely Victoria, BC, definitely really good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Always concerned about the pretentiousness factor when visiting any "French" restaurants in North America, but not an issue here. I could blather on about how good everything was, because it was, but I will just say it was one of the best French restaurants on this side of the Pacific. I would add I am confused by people that expect this place to taste like Paris because it is French, do you also expect Chinese food to taste like it does in China?

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Pathcontrolmonk
Oakville, Canada
“So fabulous, went back again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our dining experience here was fantastic. The food was so good, we could hardly wait to go back. The wine list was superb and very reasonable. The endive salad, French onion soup and strip steak were delicious. A definite must on a visit to Victoria. Will definitely return!

• Visited October 2012
glassviolin
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

This place came highly recommended for our anniversary. Being our first time out without the baby in almost a year we took full advantage and got all dressed up. We were, perhaps, the most overdressed in the place but luckily it's one of those places where one fits in equally well in jeans as they do in a tux.
They don't take reservations so when we arrived (on a tuesday night around 6:15) they were full. We put our names down on a list (they call when a table's ready) and ventured off to Hotel Rialto for a pre-dinner drink (which was also fabulous btw...but that's another review).
Our server was danielle, who was delightfully pleasant. Her knowledge of wines was quite good. She also had just the right balance of being professional yet relatable (not pretentious).
For appetizers we had the french onion soup and the charcuterie. While the soup was probably one of the best french onion's I've ever had, it was the charcuterie that really won me over. Being the highlight of the whole meal for me, it had several interesting meats (I'm cursing myself for not scribbling them down as to remember) and one wedge of cabra (butter-like cheese).
For entrees, my partner had the steak and I had the duck. Presentation is simple yet dramatic. Both meats were cooked perfectly. Both, also, were quite rich so don't be put off by the portion size (it's far more filling than at first glance).
For dessert we had the creme brulee and the cookie plate. They were good, but not as good as I was hoping. (I have often lamented this city's great lack of great desserts).
Overall, brasserie l'ecole was devine. Will definitely be back and would definitely recommend.
What I would like to see: A chef's meal...a set price for a 3-4 course dinner (a couple choices for each course) and wine pairings to go with each course. So much of the menu looked interesting...I'd love to know how the chef/staff would put together the various flavours for one culinary-masterful-evening.

• Visited October 2012