“One of my favorite places in Victoria!”

The Flying Otter Grill
Ranked #27 of 1,235 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Opened in 2009, the Flying Otter Grill brings to Victoria's beautiful Inner Harbour a one-of-a-kind dockside dining experience. Located on the Harbour Air Seaplane docks, the Flying Otter offers diners amazing west-coast food, a relaxed atmosphere and incredible views - all with an eye to customer value! We're a great place for lunch or dinner & are open seven days a week from 11am on. Come check out our great food features and incredible daily specials! Visit us today to see why we're a Victoria Favourite!
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I just can't rave enough about this place! I love it! Every time my husband asks where I want to go I say the otter! Marvelous food, great drinks and right on the water beside the float planes... just fantastic! We went right before Christmas after checking out the festival of trees at the empress ( not my most recent visit but a memorable one) and we sat down and on the other side of the glass from us was what us locals call " The Inner harbor Christmas Swan" He only hangs out in the harbor around Christmas, so it was really magical to see him sitting there as we sat down for dinner. Just a fantastic place! If you can go, do it.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Last night (Feb 21st) my group of 8 had the worst food and the worst service I have ever had in my life! As a local I have eaten lunch here before many times and the pub food was always good, and the service was always fine for a table of 2.

I called to complain this morning and the manager Laura was not very concerned, just repeated that sorry but they were busy last night and thank you for the feedback. No attempt to get us back or that she would follow up with the cooks or the server and call me back or even to take my name, very unprofessional I thought. Our table was around $400, but with their awesome location I guess they can count on tourists to keep coming back, just like Wharfside Grill does.

A lot of us ordered their 3 course "Dine around" menu which looked good but was poorly executed. For example, the risotto on both lamb dishes was undercooked and crunchy, and the 3-4 oz tiny steak was too tough to cut with a steak knife, while the accompanied frites were oversalted to the point of being inedible, even to me and I love salt. My friends deep fried prawns were soggy, flavourless and undercooked. I asked for ketchup when the food came and it took 20 minutes for the servers "assistant" to bring it and run. All 4 dishes (out of 8)would have gone back had our server bothered to come back and ask, but 30-40 min later when the assistant finally showed up to clear plates, I told her some things we didn't eat cuz they were inedible and she said "ok" and cleared the plates!!

We waited 20-30 min between the tiny salad(beware NOT the same salads as the regular menu) appetizer and the main course then over 40 minutes for dessert. We had actually asked for our bills and when she brought them somebody asked if the dessert would be very much longer and she said "no I'll get the cook to drop them right away". Wtf we had FINISHED our mains 20 min before, and asked for our bills, and they haven't even started our dessert?? Busy or not by this point it was 10 pm and we were one of only 4 tables left, yet it still took another 20 minutes for the desserts to arrive which were good, especially the trio of creme brulee.

The worst thing was the people facing out could see she was giving tables for 2 a perfect service, they were seated, fed and left within an hour while we waited 2.5 hours!

With a large group there is a mandatory 15% tip and not one of us tipped extra, little did she know that we are actually 20-30% tippers, maybe she thought she was already getting tipped so no need to give us any service at all,?? We only saw her maybe 4-5 times total, when she took our order and brought beer refills. Her assistant and a busser brought all the food and cleared all the plates.

I wish I had stopped at the wings we had for appetizers, they were awesome so if it's beer and wings and hot young waitresses then this place is still worthwhile. But they should stick to pub food and not try to make things they don't know how to cook!

2  Thank BCTamra
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The food is good here. What puts it over the top, is the location. Really neat to sit down on the water and look out. Never would of found this place if had not been recommended to us. Hotel staff told folks, who passed it on to us. Fish has a lot of batter, which was good. From the states, so not sure if that is how fish and chips are in Canada, just be ready for it. If you are trying to be healthy, maybe go for something else. Really nice dinner in Feb, can only imagine how nice it would be when it is warmer.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

This funky, pub/cafe is by the water's edge in the city's Inner Harbor offers wonderful fresh, creative seafood dishes plus other options in significant creative portions. A great place during the day, it's extra special at twilight as the Inner Harbor lights up to become truly beautiful. sit outside on the protected, heated deck for maximum effect.

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Hey, cool place to stop by and have a couple. Floatplanes coming and going, Seals popping out of the water and friendly staff. C'mon now let's go! Enjoy!