“Fabulous Everything !!!1”

Cross street: Wharf Street
Victoria, Canada
“Fabulous Everything !!!1”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We just had a valentine dinner one day late at this wonderful restaurant. The food is superb and the service is very good. The atmosphere is very quiet and romantic. The restaurant does change it's menu so you always have something new to try. I tried the pheasant and it was great. My husband had the bass which he loved. The salads and bisque were also great. Lots of wonderful wines in half bottles even which I like. Good choices for the desserts as well. Don't hesitate to visit this great place. You will enjoy it and I plan to do so again.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Carmelle N

Seattle, Washington
“Best food I ever had in North America!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

No kidding guys, this is a fantastic place if you like fine french cuisine. We went here for our anniversary and were pleasantly surprised by the exquisite menu and the great wine list. The atmosphere is intimate and sweet, service is impeccable and the food was...well, just amazing! I have dined in several Michelin star restaurants and this cooking is up to par with any of them. I had a creme of foie gras which was heavenly, only to be surpassed by the unbelievably smooth and almost creamy sauce with truffle that came with the perfect filet.
We decided for the wine arrangement which had some surprisingly good wines for an extreme reasonable price.

I know a couple of highly recommended Seattle restaurant that can learn a trick or two from these guys! Go try it!

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Rob_de_Jong
Victoria, Canada
“Artful Taste Treat Delights”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Excellent French cuisine!! The teaser was the Amuse Bouche of marinated cherry tomatoes with avocado oil and balsamic pearls. The roasted celeriac & caraway bisque was delectable followed by a crisp baby romaine caesar salad with a creamy parmesan dressing. Freshened with a palate cleanser of pear & black pepper sorbet. The seafood crepe with lobster saffron broth, fennel and tomato was a classic treat to be savoured. Dessert of brandied croissant bread pudding with pistachio ice cream was surprisingly scrumptious. Chocolate-coated orange peel to finish. Saint Bris sauvignon blanc, 2011 and Chateau La Gorce Medoc, 2009 well paired with the appetizers and main course. 39 people in group served well and all satisfied.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank Patrick K
Victoria, BC
“My new favorite!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I see Brasserie L'ecole is rated number 1 in Victoria but it was not nearly as stellar as my recent dinner at Matisse... which has now trumped The Mark as my previous #1 choice.

I admit it was our first time, for my boyfriends birthday in Aug 2012, and I was not as impressed with the inside as I had expected, it is very small and cozy with big bold artwork on the bare brick walls. I really liked how they gave us wine menus and waited until we had selected and received our wine before even giving us the dinner menus, which helped stretch out the experience from 8pm til almost 11pm, which is good because we didn't have any plans for afterwards. A lot of restaurants in Victoria are all about table turnover, (which Brasserie L'ecole is btw) and don't know how or care to make it a drawn out affair. i think that's partly what makes this french fine dining!

The lobster bisque was amazing, done perfectly, and was followed by a "goat cheese salad with a crustini" which was misnamed really as it was toasted goat cheese ON a crustini with a few sprigs of salad on top but was really really tasty, if small. Our 3rd appy (LOL) was a meat pate, not a liver pate, which was quite tasty with meat and sausage and wonderful spread on bread! I have always been scared of pate, as my one experience smelling liver cooking was a bad one! Their bread is amazing btw, we (I) somehow ate 3 baskets of it so the main course the duck breast took awhile, which was good as it was cooked perfectly medium rare with a crispy skin on top. Delightful!

I think we were too full for dessert so settled on tea, which I think came with some little bisquits or truffles, I can't quite remember what. The entire time the owner John was charming, explaining the menu and announcing each course as it arrived "here we have the duck with.. bla bla reduction." just like the cooking shows I watch lol.

Restaurant Matisse should be listed as the number 1 restaurant in Victoria!!!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank BCTamra
Virginia beach, va
“Fantastic!!”
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Holy moly where to start, everything was fantastic. Our waiter was engaging and thoughtful. Our food was fantastic, we got the grans prix. We started off with drinks. hubby got the famous gin& tonic, i ordered the wine we would drink withDinner. A red wine, bold and paired wonderfully with most of our grans prix. We both got the onion soup, i got the pâté (not palatable for me, just not my taste) hubby got the trout crepe, we both got the rabbit du jor (fantastic!!!) and truffles. Holy mess it was so good. Value was good for all we received.