“Great food and wonderful service”

Golden City Restaurant
Ranked #304 of 1,226 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

This is a great choice for food. We asked for some ideas and we modified them and the food was great! It was tasty and was great.

This was a place we look forward coming back to.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have had the best luck asking a Chinese merchant in China town as to where is a good place to eat. Some might think he would send you to his brothers place but that has never been the case. I was referred here and it was great advice. It wasn't terribly full on a Tuesday night downtown with a Canucks game being played on TV but the guests that were there were Chinese. The service was prompt and I ordered the Emperor's platter which was a lot of authentic Chinese food. Wood I go again? You bet. The place was spotless.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

No over-battered, over-fried Chinese cuisine here. One of Victoria's best for genuine Chinese cooking and witness the number of Chinese customers at the tables around you. Busy yet relaxed atmosphere. Good value for money and great Dim Sum.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

My family tried this restaurant for the first time in 20 years tonight and we were pleasantly surprised, it was excellent. Was probably the best Chinese meal we have had in many years!

We received our tea immediately and when we had not decided what to order, we were able to order our traditional appy of lettuce wraps so that they were on their way.

The service is outstanding - there are enough waitstaff for anything you might need at a moments notice. They are more than happy to allow you to order things that are not on the menu or suggest something that might interest you once you give them what you are looking for. Which is what we did and were extremely happy with what we were served.

The lettuce wraps were the best that we have ever had and there was plenty to go around for 2nds and 3rds for our group of 4. It is not cheap $ wise, but for what you get, it is worth it, the servings are very generous. All the vegetables were very fresh and had great taste. I noticed every table upon leaving the restaurant had take away bags, which they were more than happy to provide.

The only thing that I would have to say that might be considered a negative would be that they do use a lot of oil in cooking, this did not take away from the taste though and it was not such that I could not eat it as I have had in the past.

Would we go here again - most definately!

1  Thank Janisinbc
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Not directly in the center of Chinatown, but filled with locals. Ate lunch with five friends and had the emperor's lunch. Everything tasted very fresh. Waitstaff was friendly and helpful

1  Thank Kat&John