“Best Food”

Q at The Empress
Ranked #80 of 1,180 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Q represents Queen and country, a nod to Queen Victoria, with a modern twist on royalty. A singular letter, for a very singular space. Q at the Empress, located in the most storied room in Victoria, is a must-visit culinary experience. This atmospheric space has a fresh contemporary feel, all the while staying true to the building's unique iconic heritage. Rich cherry wood ceilings and spectacularly detailed moldings honor the past, while the finishes bring a modern twist to the room. The Pacific Northwest cuisine is based on regional ingredients, partnerships with local farmers and artisans, and utilizes our own chef's herb and vegetable garden to ensure a fresh and unique meal. Our carefully curated menu, prepared skillfully by Chef Morgan Wilson and his culinary team, features sustainably sourced seafood, traditionally raised meats and a wide variety of artisanal offerings. The wine list celebrates an excellent selection of the best of the Pacific Northwest and top vintages from around the globe. Take in the best views in the city on our harbour facing outdoor Veranda. From a romantic dinner to a vibrant social event all you need to do is just sit back, relax and enjoy the ambience of Q at the Empress, the place to be on Vancouver Island.
Turner Valley, Canada
“Best Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Everything was worth the wait and price. The service was excellent, they know the menu well and what wines go with the food. The French onion soup had flavor that was real, not out of a package. Old world charm and a place to fall in love all over again.

Visited March 2013

• Korean first
Widnes, England, United Kingdom
“A bygone time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

The Fairmont has pure class and again we are not disappointed.
Having had lunch on the verandah we decided to have a quiet dinner in the Empress Room.
The menu was a little limited but the quality was there.
Attention of the staff was flawless and it was clear that they took great pride in where they worked.
Leroy was our waiter and a clear eccentric in the nicest way.
The food was well presented and beautiful.
Whilst we did not order extensively, good wine and a wonderful ambience, reminiscent of the Raja and stunning decor, very memorable.

Visited June 2013
ManagerEmpress, Manager at Q at The Empress, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from Widnes, England

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Empress Room. I will certainly pass on your feedback to our team!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review into Trip Advisor. We truly value your feedback and we look forward to hosting you when your travels bring you back to Victoria.

Sincerely, Nathan Pearce Food & Beverage Director
New Westminster, Canada
“Ambience and service par excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Before I left Victoria, I wanted to experience a taste of the famed Fairmont Empress Hotel, the grand old lady facing Victoria's Inner Harbour, so I had breakfast in The Empress Room. While my food was good, the coffee cup was refilled when it got low, it was the ambience and the service I will always remember. It is a world away from this tourist city's hustle and bustle outside. I could have eaten elsewhere with less impact on my wallet. But that wasn't the point. It was dining at The Empress and seeing other patrons wanting to do the same thing. Mario, my waiter was polite and friendly, engaging yet professional. After I returned home I wrote an email to the general manager commending his employee of the fine service offered me on this morning. It was a respite before I had to leave and cover a conference in town as a journalist. But know this: I will be back!

• Visited May 2013
ManagerEmpress, Manager at Q at The Empress, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Mr. Larsen, our Valued Guest from New Westminster

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your feedback about the Empress Room in to Trip Advisor. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! I will personally e sharing you comments with Mario, our service, and culinary team. We certainly hope that your travels bring you our way again soon.
Sincerely, Nathan Pearce, Food & Beverage Director
Victoria, Canada
“A Posh Night with Posh prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

My chair had losts its stuffing. It was too low for the table. I didn`t get my potaoes, and it was rather stuffy and hot. I thought it could be better, the room was elegant, but too many busy doors. The staff were attentive, but more so to the larger parties. Over priced wines, well cooked food but not much of it.

1 Thank oceanspray726
ManagerEmpress, Manager at Q at The Empress, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from Victoria
Thank you so much for taking the time to write in your feedback regarding your recent dining experience at The Empress Room! We greatly appreciate it! I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize that your experience was not as memorable as we would have liked. I would like you to know that I have personally followed up with the service and culinary team regarding your meals, as well as with our maintenance team regarding the chairs and table heights! I hope that you join us for a meal again soon and we can show you what we are really all about. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further should you with. I can be reached anytime at nathan.pearce@fairmont.com. Thank you very much again.
Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
“reminiscent of by-gone era”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

The decor was reminiscent of India during British rule with the dark wood and lions and the blue chairs and dim lighting. I, for one, prefer the ambience to the food anyway. The food was delicious. My ill husband had the lamb which he couldn't taste because of his cold but I loved it. I had the scallops appetizer which they made into entre' size. The flavoring was outstanding. We could have had fabulous desserts but were too full to try them. Instead they gave us complimentary chocolates which were also very good.

Visited April 2013