“Best Dim Sum I Have Ever Had”

Don Mee Chinese Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #355 of 1,196 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Victoria, Canada
“Best Dim Sum I Have Ever Had”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

If you are looking for a great place to take a group of friends or family and you want something different than "North Americanized Chinese Food" then I strongly recommend Don Mee's. Dozens of tasty morsels wheeled to your table by efficient and friendly staff. Their selection of seafood items is second to none. Don't miss the 2 types of sticky rice and make sure you have Don Mee's take on calimari, even if you have to ask for it.

I could eat here every week.

Visited January 2013

Victoria, Canada
“always good”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Over the years I have taken many people to Don Mee for DimSum. It is always busy but the staff is friendly (usually) and as others have said very efficient. Depending on when you get there you may find some of your fav DimSum dishes missing but if you ask politely for it and are willing to wait for it almost any dish can be got. Most of the time it's either just on it's way out or they just ran out as it popular and waiting for a favorite dish isn't so bad. What I like is they have never made me feel rushed in order to accommodate the lineup. What I don't like is the bathroom and the stairs. But nothing they can do about the stairs. I can not speak to any other meal time there as I have only been for Dim Sum. I have found it to affordable for what you get.

• Visited October 2012
Nanaimo, Canada
“Don Mee: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My family & I have eaten dim sum lunches/brunches many times. I always find the dishes to be fresh & tasty. Service during dim sum is very efficient. If, I was rating this restaurant only for dim sum, it would earn a very good.

But, I find that the food quality & service during dinner to be lacking.

If, you have a weak stomach, don't go to their bathrooms. They are truly disgusting!

• Visited July 2012
Cobble Hill, Canada
“Annual Dim Sum”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This restaurant is located upstairs in an old building in the center of “China Town”. I think the entrance was designed to be a grand and impressive approach to the stairs; now it is just old and grungy, as is everything about the place. However, once seated, the food is tasty and the price is reasonable ( $150 for 8 without drinks, tax and tip included) the hot and sour soup was very good, the steamed pork buns were fabulous, the leaf-wrapped sticky rice is a “must have” and every one of the dim sum offerings was hot and tasty. For taste alone, I still find Don Mee one of the top locations in Victoria (Victoria does not have many good Chinese restaurants). I just don't go often because the atmosphere is not wonderful and the washrooms are disgusting.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank CorkVictoria
Southfield, Michigan
“interesting; but not to our taste”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We are vacationing from out of town and walked into this location in Chinatown, thinking that it looked more "upscale" than several of the other restaurants in the area. We arrived about 1:45 pm, and they were serving dim sum.

This was a dissapointment, because we were looking for a lunch combo place, but we decided to go with it. This place is very authentic, and some servers speak little English. Many Asians dine here. Every dish was very fresh. The bamboo wrapped rice/pork/chicken dish was interesting (no vegetables and very bland taste, but fresh); spring rolls and shrimp rolls were above average; the vegetable dumplings were very tasty but not spicy. Overall the food was bland to our taste.

Note: the servers approched asking about an item (i.e. "shrimp roll?") and when you nodded, they quickly placed 3 on a plate to serve them. This is fine with a group, but not so much for just 2 people. Very easy to spend too much here.

We had to ask for forks, but they were provided graciously. Chinese tea comes with the meal (and you will be charged for it, so speak up if you don't want it). Soy sauce on the table is very pungent.

The restaurant is upstairs, and there is no elevator. There is a sturdy rail to hold onto, but it is a steep staircase. Restrooms were clean and servicable. Pricier than we would like, but we are from the USA, so I don't know how it compares to similar restaurants in the area.

• Visited December 2012