“Great atmosphere”

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: The Black Olive is an exquisite jewel of a restaurant nestled off the beaten tourist track just half a block from Victoria City Hall. It features a casual fine dining experience in an unpretentious environment. Friendly service and an ambient room make it a favorite haunt for locals and tourists alike. One never goes to the Black Olive only once. Internationally known for its Rack of Lamb and Mediterranean West Coast Cuisine, the menu features locally grown, wild and organic fare whenever possible. Everything is made in house and to order, welcoming celiac and people with allergies. The wine list features an extensive collection of BC, West Coast and International wines. Come in and enjoy our lamb, rabbit, pasta or seafood dishes. We serve three course Prix Fixe dinners every day of the week, starting at $25. Our 60 seat restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, seven days/week.
San Francisco, California
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Fantastic owner who when he is there, makes this to be a spectacular experience, and we had a waitress who was intelligent, knowledgeable and kind. But the food is an unusual mix of Greek and non-Greek. The Greek dishes are done well. The rest you could get anywhere else. Highlight for me was the lamb. Didn't have dessert. 5/5 for atmosphere, 3/5 for food.

• Visited February 2013

Victoria, Canada
“Well appointed and central”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Being average is not all bad. After all, it is reliable and relaxing and everything is emminently edible. Just a bit expensive and nothing extraordinary. No surprises either way.

2 Thank Valerie S
Victoria, Canada
“Delicious food and speedy service”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Four of us had only an hour for dinner before our concert. We each ordered a different entrée and we each thoroughly enjoyed our choices. We told our server that we were in a hurry and she was very accommodating right down to quickly delivering our delicious cheesecake dessert. Having a coupon to help cover the cost really made this a delightful choice for a delicious dinner.

• Visited February 2013
kelowna
“5 visits, 5 excellent meals..”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I usually go for their 3 course meals for about $35. Lamb and Halibut are my favourites, but salmon, pork chops and risoto are delicious. Service was uniformly prompt and courteous throughout my visits. In other reviews I see that some people are put off by the owner's style. He often sits down at your table and tells stories. For me this is a highlight of the visit and seems to be common in the Greek restaurants in Vancouver as well. All in all, two thumbs up. I will always stop in at the Black Olive when I am in Victoria. You should try it.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Ross B
Victoria, Canada
“Fishcakes full of bones”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I ordered two appies as I often do instead of a full dinner. The warm spinach salad was very good, but then I got onto the seafood cakes . . . . The first cake had four small bones in it, one of which was rigid and needle-sharp and stuck me in the gum. I took these to the owner standing at the back and he just tried to joke it off. When I made it plain that I didn't think it was funny, he offered me a free glass of wine, which I accepted. He brought it to the table and made more patronizing and silly jokes (e.g. "That's how you know it's fresh"--oh, really?). Then I started the next cake and bit down on a flat bone bigger than my thumbnail and wicked sharp. The waitress (who was sweet but didn't understand what to do in situations like this) and manager gave us different stories about why this had occurred. We didn't care why it happened--that's their department. I refused to pay for the seafood cakes, but a more intelligently run establishment (one that cares more about its patrons and p.r.) would've given me the whole meal free. I could have choked. Neither my friends nor I will be going there again.

• Visited January 2013