“This place is terrible!”
Review of Turtle Hostel

Turtle Hostel
Turtle Hostel
Calgary
“This place is terrible!”
Reviewed September 10, 2009

This place is terrible, where do I begin? It all started when we got there, or tried to get there. It seemed the door was locked, and nobody would open the door for us?

When we got in, the next hurdle was the elderly Asian couple that operates the place. They have such terrible english, that at most times I was left just nodding and saying yes, becuiase I was too polite to ask them to repeat themselves a forth time (Silver Mug = Super Market?!?).

Next, they were ready to give our room away, even though we booked online with Credit Card. They moved the other peoples bags out of our rooms, and then told us we had to pay more than the advertized price? (okay, only $2, but why was it more?). Bonus: they wouldn't take credit cards, so we had to give them all the cash we had.

Then came the $10 cash deposit for a key to our room, and the front door? Why was that never mentioned before?

After that was the tutorial on how to open the door.... key in, half out, lift knob up, turn key left, reverse all step to extract key?!?

Then there was the room itself. We reserved the private 1 bed 2 person room. It was much smaller than the pictures (did they use a fish eye lens?), the bed was uncomfortable, and the sheets were dirty. there were little hairs all over the sheets (unwashed?) and my girlfriend got bit by something in the night?
The room was right beside the main door, with an annoying coconut door chime. It was well within the radius of annying voices from the kitchen/common area, as I beleive all the rooms in this hostel are : ( Bonus: the old Asian man who run the place coughed all night, keeping us awake.

In summary, "worst hostel ever", and I've stayed in a lot.
I would have rather gave my $30 to a homeless guy and spooned him while sharing his blanket.

Do NOT stay here, and please spread the word.
Don't do what we did, and spread the word.

Thanks.

P.S. Victoria is a lovely town!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank joe_ohnson32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Delhi
Reviewed September 2, 2009

Average place...Managed by an elederly couple it took me sometime to get in as the main door is locked and one has to ring the bell about 33 dollars it was very small had a T.v but again not much was expected from the place. It had kitchen which was the common area as well.Free wifi and they have a common computer for those who dont have laptops. No problem faced as such.Congested and small place..The owners are helpfull I asked them about the discount to the Nat geo Imax theatre and they gave me some coupons for it. Not highly recommened take it as a last option as the HI din't have any beds left so I had to settle for this.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Manaus
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Stay here if you like:
-bickering horrible onsite owner/operator staff (including loud morning ablutions and evacuations)
-mice
-dirty kitchens, bathrooms
-byzantine rules and regulations
-curfews, pseudo-mother/landlady-types
-overcrowded rooms, non-existent common areas
-oh....and marathon check-in requirements/times

Horrible place.....

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank bryanbgap

Travelers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I've been trying to book a room with the Turtle Hostel but haven't been able to get it confirmed so have decided to cancel it. I booked it through their website (I should have booked it here) but didn't get a confirmation from them after two weeks (their website said they would respond within 48hours). So I emailed them. No response from that so I rang and was told that it should be fine and that I'd receive confirmation via email. So I emailed my details again, but still no response 5 days later, so have decided to book elsewhere.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nathandmez
London
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Stayed at this hostel for one night while in Victoria (beautiful city). It seemed a bit disorganised when we were checking in. The manager's English is not great - she seemed confused that there was another girl checking in around the same time as us who was a totally different booking.

The actual hostel is fairly nice. An effort has been made with the decor. The bedrooms could do with a bit of an airing and the bathroom could be cleaner.

However, everyone was really friendly and seemed to be enjoying their stay.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Manager
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
vancouver
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We had booked this hostel online and confirmed by phone. When we arrived at the hostel (5pm) they had rented our room and appeared amused that we had nowhere to stay. They tried to tell us that we had not confirmed. There are multiple websites from which you can book this hostel and they do not seem to take this into account.

Stayed July 2008
2 Thank marieantoinette2
Everywhere
Reviewed May 6, 2008

What I really liked about the Turtle Hostel was that it was a clean and quite place to stay. The rates were extremely reasonable and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The location was great within walking distance of everything, but just enough off the beaten track, so that you discover exciting things.

An excellent coffee shop across the road and a lovely market a block away.

I would definitely recommend this to Budget travelers.

• Liked — Clean and Quiet
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)