“NO GO!”
Review of Turtle Hostel

Turtle Hostel
Turtle Hostel
Reviewed August 5, 2011

The bath and the kitchen are very dirty in this Hostel - nasty!! The cabinets in the kitchen are full of dirt and dust, so we didnt want to use them. There is no one, who makes clean regular.
The owners are very curious and the beds need to be changed!!!!!!
Better you search for another Hostel in Victoria!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank smp147
There are newer reviews for Turtle Hostel

Reviewed July 21, 2011

Stayed here with 2 male friends for one night. Was originally told they had no room for a female but was then given a bunk in the room with my friends which was no problem for any of us. Check in was a nightmare with much confusion about key deposit and money. The common area was crammped and occupied by a lot of degenerate looking sorts. Fortunately we didn't really spend much time here as we got to the room late after hitting the pubs, but there was no sleep to be had. The smell in the room was unbearable even with the windows open. Everything was filthy. We all opted to skip bathing the next day and I ended up using the restroom in McDonalds because it was far cleaner. Would have been better off sleeping on the street for a night.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank galangal
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I took the ferry through the San Juans from Bellingham over to Victoria for a weekend trip and this was the only hostel I could find that had a vacancy. What a dump. I've stayed in hundreds of hostels on 4 different continents and this is the 2nd worst I've ever encountered. It's tiny, filthy, crammed, staff is rude, there is a 20$ key deposit, and it's in a dirty/bad part of Victoria. The beds are seriously old prison beds, so uncomfortable and vinyl wrapped.
I was to stay there 3 nights, after the first night I decided to pack up and leave first thing in the morning. They wouldn't refund any money for the next two nights since I'd already paid. Lame.

My advice is to stay anywhere in Victoria but here.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank YellowBeetleWA
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I should have known better from the moment I made the reservation: I booked online, thinking that I was securing the booking with my credit card. But upon calling Shu (the owner) a few days before my trip, she said she had no reservations under my name. Shu's lack of English skills made it extremely difficult to communicate with her (it took over a minute for her to copy down my credit card number!). Then once on the phone with her it took another 10 minutes and 4 phone calls to confirm that we had a private 5-bed dorm for the 4 of us. When we got there, she tried to stick us with another traveller whom we didn't know, just because we arrived at the same time. It took her another while to understand that we actually wanted our private dorm! The hostel is small, which is fine, but most of all it is extremely dirty. The room was cramped, 3 bunk beds, 7' tall lockers (locks not provided) one table and two chairs for lack of more space. Even then it was super hard to fit two carry-on sized pieces of luggage for the 4 of us, in a -bed dorm! The mattresses were about 5'8" long (which I would know because I am 6'2"). Shu keeps separate sheets for men and women (?!?) and those were actually clean even though they most likely predated WWII. The floors were not clean and there were quite a few dust bunnies fighting all over the place.
The bathrooms were plain gross. I mean seeing silverfishes is never pleasant but the toilets were disgusting (seat, bowl, around the bowl, the tile on the wall...). We stayed 2 days and for sure the bathrooms were NOT cleaned while we were there. Shu has the audacity to post a few signs to invite you to clean after you take a shower (else "the turtles will get you!!") when she does not even do any cleaning!!!! Oh and the showers had barely any flow.
We just avoided the kitchen for our own health and safety.

In a few words, AVOID UNLESS EVERYTHING ELSE IS PACKED!

Room Tip: Avoid this gross hostel
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Vantraveler007
Reviewed March 9, 2011

this place is is horrible the owners are terrible if you want to stay with drunks and crack heads its dirty i mean really dirty the owners pay people to write good reviews on there website dont stay there please its not a good place there is serious electrical problems here it could burst in flames at any moment do yourself a favor dont stay here.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank myster_e780
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Do you like small stuffy rooms and plastic mattresses?
Filthy co-ed bathrooms, that are always wet but never clean?
Disgusting eating area/common room covered in crumbs and someone elses latest meal?
Perhaps a pushy owner, who will send you to bed at midnight and has no problem going through your things because she's "tidying up"?
Do you want a horror story to laugh about with friends?

Well then - this is the hostel for you!

Seriously...it's a dive. The homeless people staying in tents across the road where probably more comfortable then we were.
There is a definite undefined funk in this place, it's tiny and cramped and unclean. Plus, you have little privacy (meaning, even less than a regular hostel). It's not really a hostel, just a small house that has been turned into one. For about $2.00 more you can stay at the HI which is right by the water OR there's another hostel on Pandora, which is right downtown. Please avoid.

Whoever wrote the "The Truth" review...I highly suspect they're on the payroll. Hi Sue.

Bonus - there ARE actual turtles in the hallway of the hostel! And yes....they smell too.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank kyee
Reviewed December 5, 2010

My Fiance was away from me for a week working in Victoria. He missed me so he called me to visit. It was unplanned and we weren't able to find a decent hotel that would take cash without a massive deposit. We stayed here as an emergency last resort. Now I am covered in bed bug bites and filled with revulsion. The room smelled, the shared bathroom was vile. All my clothing and bags are in the deep freeze hopefully killing any leftover bugs and preventing an infestation in our home. These people deserve to be shut down. This is sick.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business