“Captain Ron is the Man!”

Sea King Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Best Prices Best Tour We have always the ones to beat We are the original Whale Watching experts with awesome 11 passenger high speed 24 foot fiberglass vessel with walk around capability since 1995 with the one boat we have been the leaders in Quality tours because we are passionate about the Whales and customer service other companies take hundreds of people a day Me and Holly have saved whales with the help of Sea-Shepard with Paul Watson Our tour is the most informative in town we are the PRO'S Deadliest Catch NEW 42 Foot Sports Fishing Vessel for trips like the Deadliest Catch Show We are going to be fishing for Crabs & Prawns with traps on the Ocean Floor and while we wait for them to soak in the water for about 2 to 3 hours we will be fishing for Halibut or Salmon Tours will be 6 to 7 hours long We can take 17 passenger so it will be like Commercial Fishing with 100 traps onboard
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I were told to choose this tour by a local friend. We were not disappointed. Captain Ron is a real professional, from his wife's help with the suits to his history of Whale watching, it was a great trip. We saw 4 Orcas and the first one almost hit our boat off lighthouse island! See the attached shots and o with Captain Ron.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were very excited to go whale-watching and chose Sea King based on the fact that is was a smaller company and promised a more intimate experience with the wildlife. While the rate was cheap, I believe cheaper than most other companies, I would gladly have paid the additional money to have gone out with anyone else.

The trip started off fine, but as we got to some seals to watch, Captain Ron made several comments about believing there should be a cull of the seals and laughed about the idea of using a "seal bomb", which we found somewhat odd (to say the least) considering this was supposed to be wildlife tour. I've never been on a wildlife tour with a guide who wanted to kill the wildlife.

As we moved on and made our way to see some Killer Whales, Captain Ron began what would turn out to be an hour long speech about the local whale-watching industry and how terrible all of his competitors were, which again I found to be quite unprofessional. A large killer whale appeared in front of our boat, but Captain Ron didn't really seem interested, as he continued to make fun of his competitors. Eventually he did give us some cursory information about the whales, but overall we left feeling like we had learned very little about the whales and far too much about Captain Ron.

On the way home, my son had to use the washroom and as he attempted to unzip the floatation suit he was wearing, the Captain chided him for apparently doing so incorrectly and then proceeded to sit my son down and take the suit off himself. Considering the fact that my son is 10 and fully capable of dressing and undressing himself, this was quite unnecessary.

Overall, we found the experience to be a disappointment. The wildlife in the area was spectacular as promised, and my family and I are glad that we got to see the whales, but Captain Ron made the experience uncomfortable. I would not recommend Sea King to anyone who actually wants to learn about the wildlife they are viewing, or anyone who appreciates being spoken to like an adult rather than condesended to like a child (After asking the captain about what we could expect to see when we reached the whales, he informed my wife that the whales swim underwater and when they need to breathe they come to the surface, and so we would see them when they came to the surface to breathe...)

7  Thank 1_Unhappy_Camper528
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I was overwhelmed by the choices for whale watching in Victoria (boat, company, time etc) but I must say I got the best deal so if you are ever confused don't hesitate in booking with Captain Ron. Ron and the crew are extremely friendly, the tour is personable & they want to give you the best time. And they delivered! We had a resident pod of Orcas that we followed all afternoon. He always ensured we were as close as possible and followed smaller pods that we could be the get photos or videos. All in all a fantastic day and one I wouldn't hesitate in doing again with Captain Ron.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I went whale watching before with Sea King Adventures. I wrote a review on the killer whales. This time we had the chance to see Dolls porpoises I had never even heard of them before. A school of them went bow riding playfully with Ron King's boat. I was able to get video footage of a pod of killer whales, seals sunbathing, and this school of Doll's porpoises (in the dolphin family). The dock is in Fisherman's Warf where there is food available and peoples private dock for their boats. You can also catch a catamaran that taxi's around the harbour.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Captain Ron has my highest recommendation for Whale Watching. He is incredibly knowledgeable, experienced and passionate about what he does. Having been a commercial fisherman, growing up on the West Coast all his life with his father who is also an experienced fisherman, he is the best Guy to go with here in Victoria when it comes to Whale Watching.
We had a fantastic Tour going over to the San Juan Islands, seeing Orcas. It was amazing!He explained the rules to us, that in Canadian Waters you have to stay away from the Whales 100 feet, in American Waters 200 feet. He also explained the different Whales, their way of life, and what they feed on. On the way back, a school of porpoises followed us for at least 30 minutes, racing ahead of the bow of the boat, surfacing and jumping - a truly joyous experience to ride with the porpoises :) Captain Ron went out of his way to show us other wild life, a variety of birds and seals. He taught us about kelp and we even got to taste this delicacy. - Captain Ron is a legend around here and if one decided to go with him in order to "support the little guy" or "small business", as it is often put - they are in for a big surprise. The reality is, that it is a privilege to go with him and experience his wonderful world of Whales, Sea life and hear the stories about the different Islands. A big thank you to Ron!!!!!

1  Thank bistrita6