“This was not a B&B”

Ranked #26 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“This was not a B&B”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Having booked a Suite in this B&B through EasyRez for a Christmas visit to Victoria. I called a few days in advance to change my checkin time. When I was speaking with the woman she informed me that this was not run as a b&b during the winter and there would be no breakfast. There was no mentioned of this anywhether on the Easyrez website that I found. I wasn't pleased but it was a little late to try and find another place that close to Christmas. When we arrived on Christmas Eve I we were shown to a room, I beleive one of the "Beacon Hill Suites" that did not have the amenities I had booked, including no jet tub. When I questioned the woman who let us in she claimed it was an ungrade. I told her it was not and that I wanted the suite that I booked. She advised that it was the only room available because all the other suites were rented out by the month. I asked to speak to the owner and was given her phone number. When I was speaking to her all she said was that they had changed how they ran the facility and forgot to tell me. She did offer me a 15% discount which I took because it was all that I was going to get. However, this was not about money! I was booked a beautiful suite to spend Christmas with my husband in and did not get it!
After I returned home I wrote to Robert Porter House to let them know how unhappy I was and copied the letter to EasyRez and BC B&B association. I also advised EasyRez when they emailed me to ask about my stay at Robert Porter House. I had absolutely no response from EasyRez and they continue to advertise the Robert Porter House as a B&B on their website. I also noticed that my review was not posted with the other reviews even thought they go back to 2006. I did get a response from the BC B&B who advised that Robert Porter House was no longer a member and had been advised to take down the Association's signage. I will never use EasyRez again or stay at the Robert Porter House.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mhoggan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Hebrew first
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We arrived just before dinner and were greeted by Ann, our "hostess with the mostest", who ushered us in and made us feel instantly at home. Our room was wonderfully comfortable and had a private patio. Ann's hospitality, friendliness and meal preparation add tremendously to our rating of 5 stars. We enjoyed our stay and when we left were a bit sad - we arrived as strangers and left as family. We highly recommend the Robert Porter House with its lovely Ann.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jojogil
Peace River, Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We so look forward to staying at Robert Porter House again for another 7 nights this June / July 2011 and seeing one of our favourite people, Anne Schlichter. September 2010 was our 4th trip back to Robert Porter House since 2006. Originally we had stayed there based on the close proximity to the many events Victoria has to offer. We have continued going back due to the fantastic service, great breakfasts and Anne's always very personable and helpful ways.
We have stayed in several B&B's across Canada and a few others in Victoia over the years and met many nice owner / operators, but have not found another person that's makes you feel as welcome as Anne.

2 Thank Travel182181
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our stay at the Robert Porter House.
From the moment I first spoke to Ann on the phone to book our stay, I realized that I made the right decision and I hadn't even been there yet.
Upon arrival, a warm welcome by a very genuine hostess, in a cozy friendly home, quickly confirms that you have made the right decision.
We felt relaxed, comfortable, and cared for by someone who is very special and professional. Breakfasts were awesome.
The location, the home, and the room is all perfect but it is the attention to detail by Ann that gives you the feeling ( and not just in your tummy) that, wow I love this place and I am in very good hands.
We will be back!

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Colinbcraw
Reviewed October 19, 2010

We stayed here for our first night arriving from Seattle on the Clipper. We walked up to the Porter House in about 10 minutes. Ann is an exceptional hostess and our room was very comfortable and immaculate. The breakfast was delicious and you could choose from several selections. I liked having choices and any dietary needs are respected. We walked to the downtown Victoria area and had dinner at the Irish Times Pub and walked back easily. Ann gave great suggestions for stops along the way as we drove up the island.
We look forward to seeing you next year.
Ann, thank you for your wonderful hospitality.
Rich & Janet Deutsch
Denver, CO

1 Thank findjoy
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2010

came for the marathon weekend and was extremely happy that I got a chance to stay at this b&b. Location is phenomenal, the hostess Ann was extremely warm and inviting. She prepared a beautiful post marathon brunch for all participating runners who were staying at the b&b. The rooms are very cozy, clean and the bed was super comfortable!
I highly recommend this b&b.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank karinek30
Toronto
Reviewed September 30, 2010

This B&B is one of the best we have ever stayed at. The hostess Ann was warm and caring and made us feel very comfortable. She made an excellent recommendation to us for dinner. Our room was very clean, well furnished and decorated and we loved the private entrance. Breakfast was a real highlight with a customized menu for each person which is highly unusual. We will certainly return the next time we are in Victoria.