“In a word, " Flawless"”
Review of The Oswego Hotel

The Oswego Hotel
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I enjoy reading reviews on this website and although I have enjoyed staying in quite a few hotels world wide I only take time to review ones that have truly stood out or have been truly very poor! The Oswego hotel in my view is Flawless along with a perfect staff. I only had one night there on a recent business trip and couldn’t have been more impressed with the over all style of the hotel, the spacious chic westcoast style of the rooms and also the ease of getting around this boutique hotel. If you’re a business or family person who hates standing in line for elevators or wasting time walking in boring hallways you will appreciate the perfect size of this building. From the moment I walked into my one bedroom suite I felt at home as if I could live here for weeks or months on end! Everything was were it should be. The view from my massive wall to wall windows was welcomed as was the easy to control blinds when I choose to close them.

The small bar is a pleasure to relax in, the service is perfect, attentive, friendly but professional. The food was excellent and I thought reasonably priced. Come to think of it, the price of the rooms is also a bargain when considering how fresh new and high end feeling they are. If you’re looking for a business hotel or a family hotel that welcomes your pet, this is my top recommendation in Victoria ( I have stayed at 12 of them). They are just steps from the beautiful inner harbour and legislature buildings. Wonderful location set back just far enough to keep the noise level down. If this review sounds to gushing, that is just how I felt after staying here a night. I can’t imagine how much I would enjoy it if I had a week or two stay planned. Great place to live, really!
This has to be a hotel well run from the top down as it was perfect in all ways. It’s my new Go To hotel when I visit Victoria

Room Tip: Pay a few bucks more for the one bedroom, it's worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank langleyroseman
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thank you so very much for your lovely review. We are so glad that you found us and that the Oswego will now be your hotel of choice whilst staying in Victoria.

Our guest experience is really important to the team - we want to go above and beyond for our guests for them to be happy and enjoy their stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed everything that the hotel and team offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.

Thank you!

Suzanne Gatrell

There are newer reviews for The Oswego Hotel

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Found this hotel when using TripAdvisor for 2 day visit to Victoria. Had studio suite with pull down queen bed/kitchen area. Our off season rate was $89.C/night - very inexpensive for value received. Good sized room, and if we'd spent more time in it, could have fold bed into wall for additional living space. Even comes with dishwasher. Bathroom large (even had ocean view). Very well kept/clean. Staff excellent and helpful, easily arranged for late departure. Received 20% discount at hotel's O Bistro, so had dinner on a Wed. (jazz night), and was so impressed had brunch the next day. Very good meals, with prices similar to 'average' pubs - so good value for the money. Will definitely stay/dine at this hotel again. Their advertising says 'they are voted one of the Top 25 Trendiest Hotels in Canada' - could be right!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased that you enjoyed the Oswego hotel and O'Bistro.

Throughout our slow season we do offer last minute specials and the rate that you received was for one of Studio suites. We also have One and Two Bedroom Suites. All guests received 20% discount for room service or at the O'Bistro.

Thank you for your positive words that we will share with the team.

Come back and visit us again soon.

Regards

Suzanne Gatrell

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I spent 6 great days at the Oswego while visiting our son and his family in Victoria. The suite was spacious, well furnished and clean. We both love to cook and were very surprised at the quality of the appliances, cookware and table ware. Although not chef grade it was very serviceable and far better than typically supplied in "kitchenettes". It allowed us to host a couple of dinners for our family. The staff were friendly and accommodating in adjusting the cleaning schedule to suit us. The only negative was the lack of a chair for the desk, there was a foot stool that sufficed for short periods checking email. We hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Oswego - we appreciate your business. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and staff.

Come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I should have read the other negative reviews more closely. Nothing has improved since they were written. The carpet in our 'upgraded' room was stained and dirty; the floor in the kitchen and bathroom was the worst I have ever seen. I wish I had taken a picture of the paper towel my husband used to mop up the water he spilled moving the kettle from one counter to the other. Disgusting. Since it was late and we had medical app'ts we did not complain that evening, but, even though we had booked for two days, we checked out the next morning. The pullout couch, as mentioned in other reviews, is impossible to sleep on. I, like a previous reviewer, had to put the mattress on the floor and sleep on the narrow couch cushions, which I covered with a sheet because they were not clean. My husband said that when he complained the next morning the young woman sounded confused, and said that we both should have used the bed instead of one of us using the couch. Wow! If that was an option I don't know how I could have missed it!? We will not stay at the Oswego again. Read this carefully: Don't you stay there either!!

Room Tip: My tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Firstly, my sincere apologies for the sub standard levels of cleanliness and comfort that you encountered at the hotel.

As you can see from the many other previous positive reviews, cleanliness is always very positive. I will ensure that the Executive Housekeeper and her team work diligently to find out what occurred here, what we can do better and that it it dosent continue.

I am perturbed to hear that you felt the carpet was dirty. Our carpets our cleaned on a regular rotation. We are currently in our yearly deep cleaning, re-painting and carpet cleaning of all units. However, all suites carpets are cleaned on a regular basis throughout the year also.

The sofa beds can be a little uncomfortable - last year we starting working through each suite with replacement of these mattresses.

I will be following up further but, I would like to bring you back to stay at the hotel at a less stressful time for yourself when your husband isnt at the hospital. We would like to re-instill with you the high standards that so many of our guests have written reviews about and encountered whilst staying at our hotel.

On behalf of the team we wish a speedy recovery for your husband

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed here twice for business trips. The first time my sister came with me and brought her dog. The hotel were very accommodating! Once we checked in and got to the room they had set up a little dog bed, food and water dishes and even supplied treats and poo bags! Very thoughtful!

Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Beautiful full kitchen with everything you could think of (even a blender). Nice bathroom with separate shower and bath tub.

Perfect location, just a short walk into town but far enough away for it to be quiet.

Underground parking and bike lock up were great too!

I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be staying here on my next trip to Victoria!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lucy R
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for being a loyal Oswego guest - we appreciate it.

Many of our guests like yourselves stay at the Oswego whilst they are travelling on business. We are glad that you enjoyed the Oswego's amenities and location.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

A lovely hotel made for a wonderful stay in Victoria. We hadn't visited Victoria since 2000 and the Oswego was the perfect place for us - two adults and two little doggie girls! The location of the Oswego is perfect - close to downtown and lovely walks along the inner harbor. The decor is excellent and the amenities were great. The staff was helpful and friendly. I loved the French Press for our morning coffee and the kitchen was perfect for preparing a light meal when we tired of eating in restaurants. The apples were a healthy touch! Mai Lei and Tian Tian loved having two doggie beds - one in the bedroom and the other in the living room. On our next trip to Victoria we will definitely stay at the lovely, boutique Hotel Oswego.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NanEdKirkland

Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing the Oswego to stay at whilst you are in Victoria.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, our amenities and location.

Next time yourselves, Mai Lei and Tian Tian return to Victoria we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Oswego.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Needed a pet friendly hotel in Victoria over Christmas. This hotel had all the amenities we wanted, in the area we wanted to be in and they allowed pets. Sounded too good to be true, but we booked anyway. From check in to check out it really was too good to be true. We had a lovely one bedroom suite, fresh apples, a very well appointed full kitchen and amazingly friendly staff. Completely pet friendly and very quiet. We stayed for 5 days over Christmas and have not one single complaint. If this hotel has any down side at all it is that the beds were a little firm, so if you like a soft bed, this would be an issue, but for us it was perfect.

Room Tip: The single rooms apparently have murphy beds, can't confirm this as we had a 1 bedroom suite, bu...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Carolyn O
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a positive review about your stay with us recently. I will definately forward your comments to the hardworking team.

We are glad that we met and exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you and your pet back to the Oswego in the very near future.

Happy New Year!