“Great service, food and accomodations made our Victoria stay a highlight!”
Review of The Oswego Hotel

The Oswego Hotel
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Dayton, Virginia
“Great service, food and accomodations made our Victoria stay a highlight!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at the Oswego in September 2012 for two nights while visiting Victoria. We took the Victoria Clipper from Seattle and were glad the hotel was only a couple of blocks from the landing point in the harbor. The staff was friendly and helpful and our one-bedroom suite was comfortable and well-appointed. I am picky about cleanliness but did not have any issues with the Oswego. The bed was a queen size with a comfortable mattress - no murphy bed! Our one bedroom condo had a full mini-kitchen with all the necessiites. We just made coffee in the french press and ate in the dining room, which I must say was scrumptious. Guests get a 20% discount and the prices seemed very reasonable. We had dinner and breakfast and enjoyed both. There is no air conditioning and it did get a little warm. We opened the windows but at night that attracted moths, etc. We loved Victoria, strolling the harbor area, taking a water taxi tour, a trip to Bouchart Gardens (don't miss it!) and soaking up the atmosphere at a local pub, it's a great place to visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We booked a 1 night stay in a 2 bedroom premium suite and on arrival were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a boutique suite on the 10th floor (Suite 1001) with a large deck facing the harbour. The views were spectacular, especially in the evening with the lights of the inner harbour...very relaxing and enjoyable! We will definitely return for a more extended stay in the future! Thank you!

The location of the hotel is very convenient to the ferry docks and in a quiet neighborhood away from but yet in easy walking distance to the shops and attractions.

The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating providing us with an early check-in and great dining suggestions. We had an excellent dinner withh our friends in the O Bistro restaurant on the 1st floor of the hotel. Lauren and Jessica (wait staff) were very friendly and attentive and we appreciated the discount coupon provided in our room.

The suite was quite spacious with an island kitchen. We flipped a coin for the larger bedroom with private bath...we lost, but the 2nd smaller bedroom had a great view of the city, including the lights on the government bldg. and its own small balcony. The suite was nicely furnished but a friendly recommendation would be to provide more clothes hangers in the bdrm. closets and towel hooks in the bathrooms.

As owners of a small Inn on the Olympic Pennisula, we know how much work and effort is required to provide quality lodging on a consistent basis and do appreciate the hospitality and amenities provided by the Oswego Hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Powell River, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights and we had a wonderful time. our room was lovely and we really enjoyed the kitchenette. The only negative was that there is no view of the harbour but it is only a short walk away so a small price to pay for such a peaceful room.

1 Thank GrannySharon
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for your review and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the Oswego.

Please let us know directly when you will be returning and we will ensure that you are placed on a higher floor with beautiful views.

Thank you again!
Emeryville, California
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We recently stayed here while on a 3,000 mile round-trip that took us from the SF Bay Area up the coast to Seattle, then to Victoria (and back). During our previous visit to Victoria we stayed at the Empress. This time we decided to stay at the Oswego. My decision was based on what I saw on their website, and probably even more-so because of a phone call I made to the hotel LATE one night when i was planning the trip. The gentleman that I spoke to couldn't have been nicer, answering any and all the questions that I had about the hotel and the parking (important since we were traveling on the motorcycles you see in my profile picture). I later found that he and the younger gentleman out front would be the highlight of the staff (go figure....the nightwatchman and the parking attendant were the nicest people there). The hotel has a great location within walking distance of the harbor and has the aforementioned GREAT parking. Unfortunately this hotel has other issues that good parking can't cure.

We arrived and found the hotel to be as nice as it seemed in the pictures. Always a good sign. The young lady that checked us in was kind of stand-off-ish at first but seemed to warm up a bit after a few minutes. She might have realized this because she ended up upgrading our room. The room was great, although the hallway could use some work. Nothing wrong with the hallway, it just really doesn't stack-up to the rest of the hotel in appearance (lobby, restaurant, etc). But again, the room was great and it's size was more that of an apartment than a hotel room. It was clean and had the usual amenities (except AC). It also had a nice sized balcony. So ashtetically, the Oswego fit the bill.
My reasoning for giving the Oswego an average rating is based on how UN-friendly the staff was. I've stayed at everything from Ritz Carlton's to Springhill Suites (We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Seattle the night prior to here) and never have I been to a hotel with such indifferent and borderline snobby employees. It was hard to explain. We were there for 2 nights and not once (other than the guy on night-shift whom I'm pretty sure was the same guy I spoke to that night on the phone) did someone say hello to us when we walked into the lobby and past the front desk. At one point we walked downstairs to the front desk and asked which way the gym was. The gentleman told us to walk thru the restaurant, etc. etc. We followed his instructions and as we approached the restaurant one of the waitresses practically stood in our way with a "where the hell are you going" look on her face. I asked again if that was the way to the gym and she directed us to a different door that led to the same hallway. I have no problem with her telling me about a different way, but it was blatantly obvious that she was frowning at us for even thinking of walking through the restaurant (and yes we were very decently dressed).
A hotel should be inviting. I didn't feel that here. It's a shame because it's a nice place. The restaurant, on the surface, looked very nice but we didn't bother going. After the experience with whom we saw would likely would be our server, why would I spend a penny in there. (We ate that night at "The Keg Steakhouse & Bar" which seems to be Canada's version of Ruth's Chris or Capital Grille. Our food and the service from our waitress was VERY good btw).

It takes a lot for me to take the time to write anything but a good review. As a matter of fact, of the THIRTEEN hotels we stayed at during this trip, THIS was the only one that gave us anything less than a great experience. And that includes a Best Western in John Day, OR where the lady at the front desk was one of the most capable front desk attendants I've ever come across (in JOHN DAY, OR!!!!). Or even the tech that came to fix the broken AC in our room in Crescent CIty. These people were NICE, friendly people that went out of their way to be hospitable no matter what (even the place with a broken AC will get a positive review....stuff happens. they were very accommodating about it). Makes sense since they work in the "hospitality business", right? Rarely will I bother with a bad review, but in this case I really think it's necessary. A hotel may not have a concierge, valet parking or a restaurant but it HAS to have good, friendly service.

One last thing I should mention: They really should have their laundry delivery service either come in via a back entrance or make less noise. They showed up at like 7 AM and couldn't have made more noise if they crashed the truck through the lobby doors. We were on I believe the 6th floor and with the windows open (no AC), it was impossible to sleep through it.

Anyway, we'll be back to Victoria very soon. We really like it there. The people are not all like the employees we found here. Everyone we came across was incredibly nice. Next time we'll just have to find another place to stay.

In summary, this is a nice hotel whose service and hospitality falls short of it's appearance. Kind of like the hallway vs. the lobby I guess. If friendliness isn't an issue for you then you'll have no problem here. It is a nice place after all.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Firstly, let me apologize on behalf of my team for any sub standard lack of friendly service levels that you encountered. The team are extremely perturbed by your comments - your comments are so different than the majority of other reviews that rave about the high level of customer service and warm staff at the Oswego.

We are glad that you did encounter some staff members that were very welcoming and friendly as noted on your review.

The entire team at the Oswego prides itself on its level of service and standards. We will discuss with all the teams to ensure that great customer service standards are maintained at all times for our guests.

It is hard if our guests leave and dissatisfaction was not brought to our attention earlier during your stay or that we were not given the opportunity to rectify these areas of concern. We will work with all staff members to ensure this dosen't occur again.

Please let me know if you would consider giving us another chance next time you visit Victoria and for you to experience the wonderful staff and service that so many of our guests write abour and keep returning back to the Oswego.

We hope to be able to change your view of the Oswego - please let me know directly if that is an option.

Suzanne Gatrell
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed in a top floor penthouse suite a few weeks ago on our trip to Victoria, we were certainly not disappointed! The view from the very large patio were amazing! The inner harbour was an amazing sight to see at night. The room was beautifully furnished...the french press in the morning for our coffee was a thoughtful bonus. Great location, easy walk to many sights downtown, friendly staff, this will be the only hotel for us next time we're on Vancouver Island! Loved it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 15, 2012

At the last minute, we decided to add a couple of days to our B.C. trip by going to Victoria. We went to Trip Advisor and found The Oswego Hotel. We chose by price, availability and neighborhood, but had no idea that we were about to stay in our new favorite hotel! The room - they only had a Junior Suite at the last minute - was very nicely furnished, very calming (walls were a light sage/celery with dark wood furniture), and had amenities that I really appreciated (being a foodie who likes to cook). Each room basically has a full kitchen - small 4-burner stove-top, mini dishwasher, microwave - and all the utensils, pots, pans and cutlery one might need. We entered to room to music playing on the personal sound system and, although not our style of music, it was a nice touch. Each room came with a discount coupon for meals in the restaurant, and parking underneath was very reasonable. The staff was outstanding and friendly, and saw to our every need. The only minor - and I mean minor - glitch was we thought there was an express checkout where we could leave the keys and flee to the airport. In the end, we had to get our receipt printed. If only life was always this hard! All in all, we give this hotel an A+++ and are considering a week-long stay there in the future.

Room Tip: Most suites have balconies which would be delightful - ours didn't. I would ask for a suite with...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us recently.

I noted in your review the room you mentioned you stayed in was a junior suite - we do not have that room type but, from your description it was a studio suite you stayed in with us.

Next time you return please let me know directly so that I ensure you stay and experience our One Bedroom suites which are alot more spacious with balcony and full kitchen etc. Still the same furnishings that you enjoyed previously.

Thank you for your kind and positive comments - I will definately pass onto the wonderful hardworking Oswego team.

Come back and visit us again soon.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Booked my family into the Oswego for our wedding, hoping it would be a good place to lay their heads between activities. With 2 toddlers and 3 adults, the 2bdrm suite seemed a perfect choice.

And was it ever! Their suite was a top floor penthouse with HUGE patio and sweeping views of the inner harbour, east towards the West shore and across James bay to the Juan de fuca mtns. We actually thought it was a communal balcony for a while because of the size, but it was all ours. Absolutely awesome!

The suite was immaculate (with one exception, see below) and fresh, modern, breezy (which was needed with the beautiful sunshine and all those windows!) and spacious. The kitchen was a dream with marble and beautiful appliances. Great to have for our little get together and to feed the kids.

The only downsides were a surprisingly over-used chair in the livingroom (I know, such a minor detail - it was surprising because the rest of the suite was perfect!) and check in was very very busy.

Not only would I book friends and families into this hotel in a second, I'd book it to have a nice night away myself. Beautiful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Colorado1234015
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
We are so glad that you chose the Oswego hotel to stay at during your visit to Victoria. We are also thrilled that you had a fantastic stay with us.

The Boutique suites do have exceptional views and are very spacious. They are the only suites we have that have large patios instead of large balconies.

We hope to be able to welcome you back very soon.

Thank you!