“Fabulous, Convenient Boutique Hotel”
Review of The Oswego Hotel

The Oswego Hotel
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Our family of 4 upgraded to a two-bedroom suite and it was simply delightful. Excellent beds, lovely view of James bay and the distant hills, sumptuous bathrooms, functional and modern kitchen with island and stools. Great place to enjoy a bottle of wine before dinner with guests.

Only thing missing is a pool for the kids. Oswego is a real treat! Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: For a family, the two bedroom suites are simply excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Wow - thank you! We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us but most importantly relaxed and enjoyed the hotel and location.

The Two bedroom Suites are very spacious and we do encourage families to book these suites for the additional space. The full kitchen and balcony our guests definately enjoy.

We hope that your family come back and stay again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,978)

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I found myself in Victoria to deliver some training, and the firm that hired me put me up in The Oswego Hotel. I'd never heard of it before, and it's an unassuming building on a quiet street, but oh my, what a deceptive exterior! (It's a very nice exterior, by the way, just unassuming.)

First off, I had a suite. It must have been at least 500 sq ft, and you could tell that the decor was courtesy of a designer. I swear, I could have moved in there, it was so nicely decorated. It had a full kitchen with stainless steel appliances, granite counter tops, high-end faucets, and all the basic amenities, including a fancy French press and good coffee. The bathroom was gorgeous, including a soaker tub and a separate large shower with rainshower head.

The living room had all the appointments of home, including a big-screen TV. The bedroom has one, too, as well as a "regular" closet, not one of those mirrored sliding door things. The bed was quite comfortable, and the many pillows were just right.

The first night, I wanted to take a walk. The front desk pressed on me an umbrella in case it rained. The second night, I thought I'd dropped my glasses on the floor of my room and found a pair of reading glasses which I put them on the night table and checked out. Later in the day, I returned to the hotel to have a drink with a hotel guest and the fellow at the front desk stopped me, went into the back room and came out with the reading glasses, asking if I'd left them behind. Wow, that's paying attention!

The restaurant food is lovely - upscale and fresh, and reasonable portion size. I asked if the soup was dairy-free, and the server remembered throughout the meal and adjusted accordingly. They even had almond milk and gluten-free bread. I was truly impressed.

It's not like me to gush like this about a hotel. I usually balance out my review with the upside vs the downside. The only thing I could possibly say about the downside is that there was no magnifying make-up mirror in the bathroom. When I have to stretch to that level of detail, that's getting pretty picky.

It's obviously meant for the executive who goes to the province's capital and needs a home-away-from home. And it works. Would I stay there again? You bet!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Your detailed and positive review about your recent stay with us was fabulous. Thank you for taking the time to let other guests know how great the Oswego hotel is.

The hard working team, in all departments at the Oswego are driven by providing an excellent guest experience! I can see from your comments that 'the little things' are what matter and the team delivered on all of them. I will pass onto them your kind words.

We have many repeat guests that keep coming back after their initial stay and also lots of Corporate travellers that enjoy the hotel for its individuality and attention to detail. Please spread the word and we hope to welcome you back to stay at the Oswego next time you travel to Victoria.

Thank you!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Everything you need from a hotel: clean, spacious room. Great location (very close to harbour, Parliament etc).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Please come back and visit us again very soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We arrived by car to the Oswego Hotel, just off Victorias Inner Harbour located in an area with tree lined streets.. Parkings is available in a secure underground are. ($10 plus taxes per night) We parke to register just in front of the hotel and was greeted by a staff member who offered to bring us a luggage cart. After registration we unloaded the car with the help of a staff member and went to our 1 bedroom suite.

This room was large with full size appliances, kitchen with plates, cooking utensals, cutlery, kettle, toaster, can opener and living room area, a large bathroom with shower and separate tub. Two bathroobes were also available. The bedroom was narrow ( about 18 inches of space between the bed and walls.with a queen sized bed, wardrobe, chest dresser and TV. A second TV was in the livingroom which had a couch, ottoman, several small sitting cubes and desk. Free wifi was available.

The room had large wall to wall windows and a deck with sliding door accessed from our bedroom. Our room was on the south side which got rather hot, even with the blinds closed and two ceiling fans on high.

The positives were the staff. Friendly, eager to help. As an example, when I parked the car and walked to the elevator an employee from house keeping was also at the elevator. She asked how I was enjoying my stay and I indicated that t would be nice to have a third set of towels/washcloths. She asked for my room number and within 5 minutes extra towels were brought to the room.

I was always cheerfully greeted when passing the front desk

The location was a definate advantage. Perhaps a 6 minute walk north and east to the legislative buildings, Royal museum and inner harbour. Going south it was 6 blocks to a grocery store/starbuks and other small shops in the James Bay area of Victoria.

Several restaurants were within two blocks of the hotel. The hotel has a bistro with a selection of meals for breakfast, lunch and diner. Upon checkin we were given a voucher for 20% off at the Bistro.

The Oswego also allows pets ($25 plus taxes per stay) We encounted a few dogs in the elevators or at the entrance. The hotel offers complimentary dog beds, treats and poop bags.

Rates. The hotel offers higher rates when phoning in then does wholesalers like Expedia or Hotels.com They will match the rate any travel wholesaler offers. The hotel also offers government rates. I believe they have a loyalty program but one needs to stay on 10 separate occasions with resrvations made through the hotel to qualify for any rewards.

Room Tip: South side has views of the Olympic Penisula in Washington stae, the straight of Juan de Fuca and re...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you! What an amazing recommendation of all of our services and standards. The team work hard to provide an excellent level of guest experience and from your review we can clearly see that we did not fail in this regard.

The location and facilities of the Oswego is perfect for leisure or corporate travel. Thank you for letting our guests know how great the hotel is.

We look forward to welcoming you back with us again soon

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights in a studio suite room at Oswego, for our anniversary, and it was fantastic. Quiet area, very close to shopping/nightlife/restaurants. Lovely view of the harbour. The staff excelled at customer service, and overall it was a great stay. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 16, 2012

One of the best hotels we've stayed at! Our family of 5 was completely comfortable in the 2 bedroom suite, and thoroughly enjoyed the modern fixtures, quiet neighbourhood, walking distance to almost everything. Beautiful hotel, great experience.

1  Thank vdBfam
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I really can't praise this hotel too much. From the moment you enter all the staff are so friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and very comfortable with lovely spar products in the bathroom.
Location is very close to the center of Victoria but in a quiet area.
Often as a single traveler one gets the worse table and service in a restaurant, NOT here you are treated as well as anyone be it breakfast, lunch or dinner added to which the food was excellent and I probably had the best meal of my whole trip here. Had the taster menu and it was amazing I'm not normally a pudding person but everything was so good I just had to have it all.
As stated by someone else I would love to go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo