“What a delightful, cosmopolitan surprise!”
Review of The Oswego Hotel

The Oswego Hotel
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Victoria, Canada
“What a delightful, cosmopolitan surprise!”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I was booked into The Oswego by my corporate travel planner. having lived in Victoria for several years - I had no idea the Oswego even existed. Well I will be singing its praises to all. Beautiful, hotel chic boutique, I had a suite with a cool pull down bed - complete kitchen - and gorgeous bath. The staff were super helpful and the room service was divine. With a fabulous location steps away form the harbour and the famous Dallas Road ocean walk - this is a must stay for an urban getaway.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Reality_Rules

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aalsmeer, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed in the Oswego on Canada Day. Checked in early and got an upgrad to a luxury suite. The receptionist was very helpful with everything, as all the other staff!! The hotel is situated quietly but very convenient and within walking distance to the busy part of town. The room was amazing, clean, bright, it had just everything (even more) than we needed. A perfect stay!

1 Thank Jeanine01
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Firstly we appreciated the room being ready early for us. We emailed in advance to request this, and it was ready for our 11am arrival. Thank you :-)

We booked a 1 bedroom suite. It was our favourite room on our 3 week holiday. It was very modern, comfortable, well decorated, with a small kitchen, including large cooker, microwave, dishwasher, fridge, and sink. We even stayed in one night and cooked a meal - something we never usually do on holiday. Maid service was immaculate. Our room had a balcony, which was nice to use.

We ate in the hotel restaurant one night. The food was reasonably priced compared to other restaurants, and hotel guests receive a 20% discount card to use throughout their stay. The food and service was very good.

Free wireless internet. Well done Oswego! We've stayed in a few places on the trip which wanted $15 per day for this. Free internet is appreciated by guests.

The hotel is located in a very pleasant neighbourhood, yet only a few minutes walk from downtown Victoria and the harbour.

It costs $10 per day to park underground at the hotel. However you can park for free overnight on the street outside the hotel between 5pm and 9am (1 hour limit between 8am and 6pm). If you park 2 blocks further up Oswego Street, this increases to 4pm - 10am (2 hour limit between 8am and 6pm).

There is a liqour store (off licence) very close to the hotel. The grocery store "Thrifty" is about a 10-15 minute walk away, where there is also a larger liquor store and a pharmacy.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. Also email ahead if arriving early.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Starkraving
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a positive review of the Oswego Hotel and your wonderful stay with us.

I will be sure to pass on to the team your great guest experience comments and the added 'little things' that enhanced your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and we will make sure that you receive again your suite on a high floor next time.
Vancouver
Reviewed August 2, 2011

If you are looking for a place to stay in Victoria BC, this is the place I would recommend. I have lived in Victoria for most of my life and know most of the hotels that have a better reputation but found out that if you wanted to stay in a decent room, you would have to pay for the price, especially on the long BC Day weekend holiday. I also wanted to stay in a newer development since I usually have the best experiences there.

I needed a room for 2 nights for my wedding, 1 night to use the room/suite as a prep and 1 night to stay with the new husband so when I booked through Expedia, I requested that our 1 bedroom suite be one of the more spacious rooms since I would have about 7 people milling around getting ready in the morning for the wedding.

CHECK IN/CHECK OUT - I checked in earlier than the suggested check in time and fortunately they had the 1 bdrm suite ready. My husband also booked a hotel room, just a studio suite for 1 night, so he can prep with his groomsmen, which was also ready early. Check in was pretty much a breeze. The staff was polite and welcoming. We received the same great service during check out.

SERVICE - I brought my dress up and he brought his suits to the rooms, and I think they noticed as we walked through their quaint lobby. We left the hotel right after we dropped off the attire and when I returned to my suite later that evening, I was welcomed by a plate of chocolates with congrats written in chocolate. I thought this was a very nice touch, wasn't sure if it was from the cue of the dress going through the lobby or if I had mentioned it in the reservation, but it was appreciated. PS They were divine.

On the day of the wedding, we ordered breakfast at their bistro downstairs and thought we could quickly order and bring it up to the room and resume getting ready. They offered to bring it up for us when it was ready without an extra service charge and I thought this was very kind. It arrived within 10 minutes. We also requested other items such as bandaids and face towels, again they were INCREDIBLY prompt in filling in our requests. I usually have to wait 15-20 mins at most hotels...

The only downside (but didn't effect us since we didn't really require the service) is the lack of a bellman. Every time we walked in/out of the hotel, I noticed they didn't have one. Didn't bother us but those with lots of luggage may want to consider this.

Parking is only $10/night at the hotel... But if you are here for the weekend, there are lots of free parking on the street. But at $10/night that's a steal.

ROOMS - The rooms were contemporary, SUPER CLEAN, spacious and very comforting. I felt as if I was just in a new condo downtown. The kitchen was full with plenty of counter space, the living room was large enough for all of us to get ready in but the bedroom was quite small and barely fit a queen/double bed. I am pretty certain it was a double (or a super small qn) which was a little disappointing It was clean and comfortable.

The bathroom was huge for a hotel bathroom, imo. It was a 4pc and was well stocked. Even had 3 bath robes!

The rooms lacked AC. Although I visited my husbands studio suite and there was an AC device set up. For one of the smaller suites (the studio), it was quite large, since it had a small kitchenette and again, a spacious bathroom. For the price he paid, I don't think you can get that anywhere else in Victoria. Downside was that it was a murphy bed (wall bed) but he wasn't bothered. Despite the lack of AC in our suite, the room was cool in the summer evening but we were woken by birds near by around 6am... There are ceiling fans in the living area and bedroom which kept the air going.

All in all, it was a great stay and I would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel to those who prefer the contemporary type of hotel. If you do not want the murphy bed in the studio suite, I would look elsewhere. But if you don't mind, I would say go for it because you won't be disappointed by this condo(ish) style hotel.

Room Tip: Close your windows in the summer if you don't like waking up to birds.
1 Thank joann_ting
On behalf of the Oswego team congratulations on your special day.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a positve and detailed review about the staff and the hotel - we really try to give our guests a wonderful guest experience and remember the little things to enhance their stay with us.

I noticed from your review that your spouse was staying in one of our studio suites and yourself in a One Bedroom suite. Our One Bedroom suites are very spacious all with queen size beds in the bedroom and queen size sofa beds in the living room with full kitchen and balcony. The Studio suites are smaller with a murphy bed. We have recently installed in all of our studio suites (that do not have a balcony) - air conditioning units that have made things more comfortable in these smaller studios.

We are sorry that you didn't encounter a Bellperson throughout your stay. We always do have a bellperson on staff and always at hand to assist our guests with luggage and concierge details.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Oswego in the near future.
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We had a one bedroom on the 5th floor facing east, the entrance side, and felt very comfortable. No afternoon sun to cook your room. Ceiling fans did the trick and good cross ventilation from balcony door and other windows brought in cool air in the evening. If you are sensitive to noise you can ask to be on the west or north side because the trash collection is at tne entrance every morning at 7am, and it is a slow process. But we really didn't mind it. Hotel is quite small, only 9 rooms per floor. Very comfortable bed, large rooms, furnished like a condo. We travelled with a teen and the layout is perfect, plus being able to make meals. Grocery store 4 blocks away. Easy walk to everything, yet a quiet neighborhood. Other hotels are on noisy, busy streets. This place is off the beaten track. Excellent! Before you book with a service like expedia, double check for specials on the hotel website. We got a fabulous rate directly from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jophine
Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us - we are thrilled you had a great time at the Oswego.

We have 80 suites in the hotel and definately being close to the inner harbour but in the quieter area of James Bay makes our hotel a perfect choice whilst staying in Victoria.

Thank you for booking directly with the hotel. We always have website specials running and currently we have throughout the summer that 'Pets stay free' and 'our guests that bring their Hybrid cars will receive complimentary parking' . We also today launched a special 'Summer sizzling deal' for the month of August for guests to come and stay and receive value added items for booking directly on our website in One Bedroom suites.

We look forward to welcoming you back and make sure to check out our website for 'specials' for future stays with us.
Cape Cod
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This small boutique hotel is an all suite hotel and the suites are tastefully and beautifully furnished. Extremely high quality appointments in the room -- granite countertops in the kitchen, double sinks in bath, quality linens, etc. The only problem I could see is that it does not have air conditioning, although during our stay the evening were cool and we had no problem sleeping. But we did need to leave the slider to the small balcony open to get good air circulation. (Our room faced south so we get a lot of afternoon sun.) At check in they originally put us in a studio, which I would not recommend. It is a Murphy bed, low to the ground, and with slats for its box spring. We didn't even put down our bags before asking for another room. We settled on a one bedroom suite, which cost us $25 additional, but it was definitely worth it both for increased size of space and quality of bed. One note, the hotel only has queen beds. By the ways, photos on the website are true representations of the hotel.
We had a drink in the bar, which was perfect and breakfast on our last day, which was also fine. The 20% discount on food for hotel guests is a great bonus. We paid $150 for a room that at another hotel would have been twice the price.
Great location near the inner harbour and excellent views from the higher floors of the hotel.

Room Tip: We were in room 908, which was a medium sized room, but very capacious.
1 Thank SharonCapeCod
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Very nice hotel with a malmaison/W hotel vibe. Only weakness was that many of the staff were a bit young and inexperienced. Not once did anyone on the desk either say hello or goodbye to us as we entred or left the hotel. Odd.
Having said that, the older guy on duty on the morning of our departure couldn'thave been more helpful. And the iPhone I left in my room was flown on to my next stop in Vancouver with all urgency..

• Stayed July 2011
Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us at the Oswego.

We are so glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the facilities.

As so many of our guests have reviewed previously such positive things about the wonderful staff and high standards of service - we are sorry that you didnt encounter this. I will be sure to review your comments with my Guest Services Supervisor to ensure the standards we have for all guests to be acknowledged in the lobby, will be done each time.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.