“We love this comfortable and charming Victorian home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marketa's Bed and Breakfast

Marketa's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 94 Victoria B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“We love this comfortable and charming Victorian home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2009

We have been staying at Marketa's for 8 years and have never felt the need to look for another B&B in Victoria. The location is excellent- within walking distance of most of our favourite spots, including Ogden Point for an early morning or late night stroll, and one of the best Indian restaurants we know of for dinner. The breakfasts are wonderful- fresh, tasty and lots of variety. The staff are always friendly and helpful-Marketa works with our various arrival times and makes travel easy with her flexibility. We have stayed in most of the rooms-our favourites have the big jetted tubs, fireplaces, and Marketa's lovely original artwork. The house and location are quiet- and I am particular about noise. Housekeeping and cleanliness are always great. We expect to visit Marketa's regularly in the future as well, and look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Vancouver, B.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

I visit Victoria quite often and have stayed at Marketa's on a number of different occasions with various groups of people. We have always enjoyed our stay and felt right at home in this charming, yet elegant house which displays a lot of Marketa's own beautiful artwork. I have stayed in a couple of the rooms and while my favorites are the ones with the jacuzzis, if I am on a tighter budget and go with the cheaper rooms I still love staying here. For one, the location is great and the price is very low compared to anything else in such an ideal location. You can walk for 5 minutes in one direction and be at the ocean and 5 minutes in the other and be downtown. I've asked Marketa about places to eat or go and she's always had great recommendations for me. Her and her staff are friendly and down to earth and I have stayed in many bed and breakfasts where the friendliness doesn't seem sincere. I can't say enough about her breakfasts, you have different choices from french toast piled high with fresh fruit to eggs florentine with her own secret recipe sauce(my favorite). There are freshly baked muffins in the morning and there's nothing like sitting in a jacuzzi under a candelabra at the end of the day and watching a movie or just relaxing in your four poster bed. This isn't a brand new luxury hotel and I see a few people are complaining about things like peeling wallpaper but Marketa's is a beautiful bed and breakfast with tons of class, character, and charm and I really don't know what these people are talking about as I have stayed in many of the rooms and never had a problem with cleanliness or anything, it's always in excellent condition. I highly recommend this as a destination for a fun weekend with friends or family or a romantic getaway with a loved one. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

I stayed at Marketas B&B the end of Sept, when Victoria is at it's most beautiful, the air is crisp, and tree leafs have fallen. If you have never been to Victoria and experienced all it's wonders and sights during the fall time, I highly recommend it!
I have stayed here before, last summer, staying in the room upstairs. I've got to say I fell in love with the place. The room is gorgeously decked out with an antique bed, and matching room furnishings. Our room featured an original fireplace and claw foot bathtub, a big highlight for sure! On my last stay I stayed on the middle floor closest to the shared toilet, and also loved the room. It was homier than the upstairs, with more floral patterns and richer colors.
And the breakfast, an amazing decadent affair, with a varied menu to choose from, fruits, cakes, muffins, juice, tea and coffee. What I loved most about breakfast was the setting it was served in. A warm sunny veranda!
I will most definitely be back soon!
Mark Perrier

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Brighton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2009

I booked one of the budget rooms, and it really was a budget room. I don't mind basic rooms, however I do mind smelly rooms! The room was in the basement and I don't think much air could get in as the room smelt very doggy! Although I have to stay the room was immaculate and very clean.

I probably wouldn't stay there again, but for value it was reasonable and as everybody mentions, the breakfast was really good.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Vixenthefoxylady
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

Hi guys, what I have to say on Marketa’s B&B? We started there our vacation in Vancouver Island and it was a great start but also, thanks to the tips that Marketa gave us, we definitely had such a great time all around the island.
We didn’t know anything about Marketa before and we just reserved the 1st night there, in the budget room, because had the right price and a great location. We arrived really late during the night and out of the door there was an envelope with inside our room keys. At a glance seemed really strange but a couple on the stairs just behind us smiled and told us “Is it your first time here? That’s the way here if you arrive late in the night.”
Then we went to sleep thinking about this place which people come back at often and has “his own rules”.
The morning after we figured out why people come back at this place. We went upstairs to have the breakfast and we found this wonderful friendly atmosphere in a sunny veranda, with all the guests seated around large tables and with Marketa and the other girls smiling, cooking and serving different breakfast for each one of us.
People were happy! That’s it!
The house is an old English style house from the beginning of the century, completely made by wood, that Marketa preserved really well with original curtains, furniture and beds (wonderful antique beds).
The location is in a quite neighborhood, in downtown Victoria, really close to all the main attractions of the city.
What we did?……we immediately reserve another night in Marketa’s B&B.

P.S. If after Victoria you are going to Tofino……Marketa can suggest you something really magic.
But if you want this secret information, before you have to stop by Marketa’s B&B ;-)

Ciao and have fun.
Claudio&Valentina

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2009

We stayed in room number 1 on the first floor. I assume it was budget room, however I expected more of it. The room was in poor condition- lucky for me we stayed there 1 night. Must admit, the room on the other size of the hall looked nicer. The location is great though. Marketa wasn't welcoming at all: she wasn't there when we arrived, and disregarded us completely when she did see us in the morning. The only time she accually saw us was when we came to pay. As someone before me has written, it really did feel like a hotel (in our case- a very cheap motel). The tub in the shared bathroom was very weird. The only thing that made the stay worthwhile was her breakfast. Actually, it was the gravy on top of benedict eggs. Everything else was not better than other breakfasts we had along our trip. By the way, it was quiet during our stay.
I would barely recommend staying in the room we had, but based on other reviews other rooms are probably better.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank natal101
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2009

This is a lovely old wooden house dating back to 1912 and, as the publicity says, it is a delight. I booked to stay in one of the budget rooms but I think Marketa upgraded me as I ended up in a beautiful room on the first floor (room 2 - see pictures). It had a lovely four poster bed, beautiful chandeliers and a roll-top bath (there was a separate toilet in the room). It was a shame I was travelling alone! Marketa is from Prague and she was really friendly, giving me complete access to her kitchen to make a cup of tea. The breakfast was lovely too - I had eggs benedict and freshly baked muffins. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Marketa's B&B. However, having seen some of the rooms in the basement (which I think are the budget rooms) I'd make sure I stayed in one of the rooms on the ground or first floor as the budget rooms are quite dark.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo