“Basement rooms leave some to be desired”

Marketa's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 91 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We were disappointed. There was no-one there to greet us, the keys with my name on, were left hanging outside the front door. The basement rooms were dingy, with wallpaper hanging off the walls and a broken bedleg. The other room was passable, but the best thing was the flat screen tv on the wall. The only redeeming feature was the breakfast, even if the chairs were decrepit. Will not stay again, but will say the the staff when saw saw them to check out, were pleasant.

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank blossomLangley

Reviewed September 18, 2008

After searching for reasonably priced accommodations in Victoria, we settled on Marketa's and were not disappointed. For those who prefer a bed and breakfast over traditional hotels, this is the place. The gourmet breakfasts are wonderful! Yummy homemade muffins. Marketa and her staff love what they do and they do it well! Lots of original artwork by Marketa throughout. Very friendly and helpful people. Quiet neighborhood and within a short walking distance to downtown Victoria. We would stay there again and would recommend it to all of our friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Marketa's is decorated in dark browns and is a little forbidding for my taste. Our room had a spa bath, a tiny shower and a large bed. There was a kitchen for guests' use but it was not all that clean and was poorly equipped. Breakfast was extremely tasty, varied and filling and served by friendly staff. We did come across Marketa herself and found her polite but not the bubbly personality that reviews here have described her as - perhaps she had things on her mind. The atmosphere was that of a small hotel rather than a B & B - you really had to read the info and find things out for yourself rather than being welcomed into someone's home as is the case with many B & Bs. Location is good - about 10-15 mins walk into central Victoria and there are several restaurants close by. If you like old buildings, gothic decor and spa baths and don't expect absolute cleanliness in every nook and cranny then the location and breakfasts will make this a good bet for you.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janetea
Reviewed August 17, 2008

Marketa's has the best breakfast I have ever experienced at a bed and breakfast, and I've stayed at many. There were many many choices on the menu--not just one or two that you have to take or leave. And the presentation of the food was divine! The breakfast staff was accommodating and wonderful. We stayed on the first floor and it was a bit creaky and you could hear quite a bit of noise from the upper floor, but I guess that is to be expected from an old house--I suggest booking a room on the second floor. The room itself was ok, but the bathroom in the room could have been a bit cleaner.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed June 13, 2008

We had a wonderful time at Marketa's this past May. I invited my fiances parents to come visit Victoria and we spent two great nights at Marketas bed and breakfast.

I heard of Marketas several times as my mother stays there whenever she makes it to the island. The house is beautifully renovated with large spacious rooms, very clean and well taken care of. There is a great sitting room with amazing artwork and lots of great books. The beds were super comfortable and the next morning we had one of the best breakfasts in a long time, eggs benedict Marketa style!!!

We could walk to town and the location is probably the best you could ask for. We all had an amazing time and next time we are in Victoria we will stay there for sure. I would recommend this place anybody !!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 13, 2008

Marketa's B& B is a wonderful place to stay, a genuine bed and breakfast experience!!! It is beautifully decorated and a charming Edwardian house. Marketa, the hostess, is friendly and welcoming with lots of great tips on what to see in Victoria. Her breakfasts are superb with an outstanding selection of treats not found in many other B&Bs. It is obvious that Marketa has put alot of t.l.c. into her B&B. I encourage visitors to this website to read all the reviews to gain a fair appraisal of Marketa's B&B. I, personally, recommend Marketa's Bed and Breakfast as a wonderful place to stay while visiting Victoria!!!

Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank Pririegirl
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Are you looking for the real deal? I was and I found it at Marketa's. Marketa and her team of lovely, helpful ladies provided me with insider knowledge; they pointed me towards the best Jamaican restaurant on the (Vancouver) island, the hippest clothiers, and the best oceanside views! The decor was charming and I nearly inhaled the breakfast. If you want an authentic and pleasant place to stay than, seriously, call these people.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank montrealmaiden