“Something special....” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 94 Victoria B&B and Inns
Montreal
“Something special....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2008

Are you looking for the real deal? I was and I found it at Marketa's. Marketa and her team of lovely, helpful ladies provided me with insider knowledge; they pointed me towards the best Jamaican restaurant on the (Vancouver) island, the hippest clothiers, and the best oceanside views! The decor was charming and I nearly inhaled the breakfast. If you want an authentic and pleasant place to stay than, seriously, call these people.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank montrealmaiden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

Usually, I'm a really easy going and positive person but this place I have to grade it a 1 out of 10. Let me explain why.
We booked our stay over the phone as we read all the positives here on tripadvisor. When we arrived Marketa just handed us the keys saying that she didn't have time to show us the rooms. After walking back and forth in the very old fashioned big house we finally found our rooms. When we entered the room we were hit by a old smelly outdated room. The matress was ugly, full of old spots, dirty looking and the bed sheets were also old and smelly.I don't want to talk about the duvet as they were smelly and old very old too.To be honest I'm not really sure if they were cleaned or washed. We checked into the basement room which has a little kitchen before entering the room. That kitchen also looked unbelievable dirty, greasy and I'm absolutely positive that that kitchen was not cleaned either.
While walking in the house after that we had a look at the main kitchen. Like I said I'm a positive person but this kitchen was out of ordinary. Dirty dishes every where not just in the sink, grease everywhere again which makes that place disgusting.
I didn't want to think that I would have breakfast there as I were getting nauseated. After seeing all this we checked out right away and went to the Marriot Hotel in downtown Victoria. We paid 50 dollars more but it was worth the extra money.
I would not recommend that place to anybody as it is dirty, smelly and very outdated
P.S. If you need any extra info please send me an email to:
lucipreda@yahoo.com

• Liked — nothing.old, outdated, dirty, greasy
  • Disliked — nothing. I would not even stay there for free
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
msgypsy, owner ? operator at Marketa's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 13, 2008
Hello there, my name is Marketa and I am truly shocked by the review above. I am not sure who the person who wrote this review is, since there is nobody of that description listed in my history of guests who arrived in March.
I would like to mention a few facts about our place; which are related to the complaints of this anonymous writer.
Unlike most bed and breakfast’s we go out of our way to please everyone. We have a full menu (please see our web site), that guests can choose from every day. We try to please meat eaters as well as vegetarians and people with special dietary needs. We have been told over and over again by our repeated customers (and we do get many of those), that they love the breakfast and would come back for it any time! Since we do a lot of extra work (I bake fresh muffins every morning, which receive rave reviews), and cook fresh food for everyone, it creates a lot of dishes. Since, unlike other places, we allow guests to check in at any time, for their convenience, if you check in early we allow you to leave your luggage here, and park for your vehicle for free. Unfortunately, this means that sometimes there will be dirty dishes in the kitchen because breakfast has just ended. If you are someone who requires to check in early, please don't expect the kitchen to be clean by 11 am and for the rooms to be ready. As it says on our website, check in is usually at 3, but we do not mind if you need to check in earlier. We do, however, hope that you will understand that we haven't had the time to clean the rooms and the kitchen yet. We do our best to accommodate everyone but the clean up takes time.
I hope that you will come to see for your selves and that you would spend few minutes to read the rest of our reviews.
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2008

We really enjoyed our 2 night stay!! Great bed!! Great tub!! Great breakfast!! Great house!! Great time!!!!! Easy couple of blocks walk to town, fishermans' wharf - where you can get the little ferry very easily, either to the other side, and walk back to town, or to the inner harbour, or just a leisurely stroll through the neighbourhood to town, right hand to everything to see!
The staff were really nice and friendly and happy!
Mr. T was very lovable!
Early risers (like us) could make their own coffee downstairs, bonus! and we could come and go, with no problems. The house is very quiet, full of history!
Beautiful art, Marketa! Thanks again!
We'll be back again!
Rose & Brian,
Mission, B.C.

• Liked — location, bed, tub, food, owner!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank binsky57
Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2008

Thank you so much Marketa and staff for being so accommodating during our stay. We certainly appreciate all the little things you took care of to make our stay more relaxing and memorable.

Your B&B has such a wonderful sense of character and we felt at home our entire stay. Many thanks and we hope to stay with you again soon.

• Liked — friendly, easy-going atmosphere
  • Disliked — lack of drawer space for clothes
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BriVictoria
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2008

I have took a trip around the world recently, travelling from Australia, Asia, Europe and Canada. I happened to stop in Victoria on Vancouver Island. What a suprising and charming city! Doing the backpacking budget travelling I have treated myself to a couple of nights at B&B. And what a fantastic choice, it was a real treat. I stayed in beatufully decorated room with cosy fireplace and spa bath Yum! I have found Marketas hospitality surprising, friendly and unique, need to also mention her original paintings where I found some favours and considering to purchase at least one! T o sum it up I had great experience and if travelling this direction again I would make sure that I don't miss Marketa's B&B. Marie South Australia

Stayed November 2007
4 Thank MarieAdelaide
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2008

i can easily sum up my impression of marketa's in two words: OH YES. absolutely everything about our trip here was wonderful from the incredible breakfast to the friendly staff and the "secret" selection of dvds we were offered the one night when we couldn't find something we liked. our room was beautifully prepared and jimmy and i never wanted to get out of the jacuzzi. very romantic and peaceful and a short walk to everything we wanted to do- i will definitely be back and sooner than you think.

• Liked — Breakfast and the amazing jacuzzi tubs.
  • Disliked — Having to leave it!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank circus_syntax
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Marketa's for 3 nights in late September. It was a wonderful experience. We had a basement room with its own bathroom and French doors onto the garden. It was very clean and comfortable. We arrived early and were shown into the upstairs living area and served magnificent muffins and coffee while our room was made ready.

The location is hard to beat. A short walk to all the major attractions in Victoria

Marketa and her staff are warm and friendly and the breakfasts the best we had in 7 weeks of travelling. Undoubtably, great value for money. We would happily recommend Marketa's to everyone.

• Liked — Wonderful breakfast. Very friendly
  • Disliked — Steep stairs
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple