“A wonderful weekend made better”

Marketa's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon, United States
“A wonderful weekend made better”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I have stayed in B&B's all over the world and Marketa's up there with the best of them. The home is a beautiful Edwardian style decorated with Marketa's own art. The late check in was no problem. I was there to play in a soccer tournament and the Jacuzzi tub and delicious breakfasts really made a difference. When I had an early game and couldn't eat breakfast they saved me a couple of homemade fruit muffins. Wonderful. My teammates staying in a hotel were jealous! I can highly recommend this B&B

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Marekta's was absolutely phenomenal! Everything from their food to their service was so beyond excellent! We arrived early and she let us choose which room we wanted to stay in, made such a delicious breakfast every morning and when she had found out my fiancé had proposed in our room the night before she made us mimosas. She even left us a bottle of wine and a beautiful snack plate in our room the next evening. We will definitely be back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Located within a short walk of downtown Victoria, Fisherman's Wharf and the ferry dock, this B&B is a good choice for those that do not want to drive. The B&B, itself, is an old house that is fairly well maintained (not as well as others we have stayed at). Our room was small--the bed took up much of the room--there was no good place to put your suitcase (except on the old-style loveseat), no place to sit if you wanted to watch TV, etc. The bathroom was only adequate--it had a louvered door (for ventilation, I guess) and a small shower. Marketa wasn't feeling well, but was still friendly--she gave us a good recommendation for a "Bohemian" supper club down the street, which was fun. All that said, the breakfast was the high point. I would have preferred having breakfast before 8:30 am, but both mornings she provided a fantastic breakfast--homemade scones or muffins, fresh fruit and juice, and the best Eggs Benedict I have had for years! The breakfast upped my rating from 3 (average) to 4 (average with a good location and a great breakfast).

Room Tip: Don't know about the others, but ours was the only one on the first floor. It was small, but ad...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

A great place to kick back and relax. Beautiful rooms, friendly staff and a warm homelike welcome. Yummy food. Located within a short walk of downtown Victoria and Fisherman's Wharf. Dog friendly. We really enjoyed the self check-in ....the key was left at the front door for us with a welcoming note and we let ourselves in. The sitting room showed us the delightful character of the 101 year old home.

• Stayed March 2013
Gig Harbor, WA.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Marketa's suited us beautifully for a Valentine's Day overnight in Victoria. The location is convenient if you don't mind walking a bit. It's in a residential neighborhood about a six-block (10 min.) walk from the Black Ball ferry dock. Another 10 minutes farther down the street is a nice city park and a marina tucked beneath luxury waterfront condos. Walking about 20 minutes from Marketa's back past the ferry slips, the provincial legislative building, Victoria's excellent museum, and the Fairmont Empress Hotel, takes you to Governor Street shopping, dining, and pub life. Of course, you could always take a cab -- or a city bus.
As for Marketa's itself, it has been operated for several years by Marketa herself, a charming, attractive, 40-something woman with a slight Central European (Russian?) accent. Her rooms are clean and well-furnished; ours had a gas fireplace and modern bathroom fixtures. The breakfast was terrific, and cooked to order: eggs, bacon or ham, toast, plenty of fruit and OJ, tea and/or coffee. We could have ordered something more austere, but what the hey, we left our Spartan tastebuds back in Port Angeles.
The establishment is unimposing from the outside, but the interior is cozy, and Marketa could not have been more welcoming and hospitable. Besides the fine breakfast, she dispensed tourist advice, allowed us to store luggage after checkout -- and she left Valentine's candy and a split of sparkling wine in our room for us to find upon returning from dinner on the town. A wonderful surprise . . . and no extra cost!
At a room rate of $100 or so, the value here was exceptional, especially taking into account the Valentine's extras.
I'm a hard grader on TripAdvisor, saving my 5-stars for superior location, luxury, and service. But I gladly give Marketa's four stars for being only a notch below that standard. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mhada
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this B&B for 5 full nights. Marketas hospitality is unmatched! She is the most pleasant host, and she created a breakfast for the GODS. I have a specialized diet and she found a way to make sure to honor my needs! If I could add a photo of her menu (I took pics of my plate every day) I would upload them.
It is clean, quiet, quaint, and central to everything we needed. In addition it's just a short distance to the beach, which made daily exercise a treat rather than a chore.
I will stay there again and again....
Kim Pacheco

Room Tip: don't put too many bubbles in the jacuzzi!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KimPacheco
Brisbane
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in January 2013. The host was friendly, the room clean and the breakfast was delectable. The place is about a 10 minute walk into town, and very close to Fisherman's Wharf. We met some really nice guests at breakfast as well, which was a great start to our day exploring Victoria. I liked that the kitchen was available for use by all guests as well, as when I stay at a B n B I like to enjoy some wine and nibblies in the room, for which a knife and plate is required. I would stay at Marketa's again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple