“Beautiful home, comfortable bed...hectic, slightly crazy” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marketa's Bed and Breakfast

Marketa's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 94 Victoria B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“Beautiful home, comfortable bed...hectic, slightly crazy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

It was a nice vacation in Victoria, and although I hate to complain about such a nice B&b, I have to mention my not so perfect experience. The room was clean, and had an old fashioned beauty.

Where my complaints sit, are with the staff and the disorganization during the breakfast service.

After a relaxing night, I was awoken to find the kitchen/dining area in complete chaos. I've seen "busy" before, but this was completely unprofessional. Markata herself was no where to be seen, (I was informed that she was grocery shopping) There were two ladies in the kitchen when I entered, one running around preparing things, the other, standing in front of the oven, with smoke pouring out, laughing. I was afraid to learn what was burning, but she informed me that the oven is "just like that, don't worry about it"

I sat down with the other guests in the dining room, and proceeded to watch one young waitress running back and forth, pouring coffee with one hand, juice with the other, and trying to set the table. The other waitress watched from the kitchen, never once jumping in to help when asked.

It was embarrassing to witness a guest stand up and offer help to the two. A nice touch on her part, but a paying guest should be just that, a paying "guest" Especially when once waitress is dillydallying in the kitchen shouting orders, but not doing a thing herself.

My breakfast tasted good, but the experience kind of left me shaking my head (and very unrelaxed!) My advice is that Markata shops for breakfast food before the breakfast rush, and if she does need to step out, she finds calm and organzied staff members to take care of things in a proffesional manner. (including anyone doing any sort of cooking for her!)

Im torn whether I would stay again, I would like to give it another chance but I hope those issues stated above are resolved.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
, Owner at Marketa's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear guests,
We are very sorry you experienced a slightly hectic breakfast the morning you were leaving, unfortunately we had a medical emergency the previous day and shopping in the morning could not be avoided. Breakfast starts at no earlier than 8:30am and the girls arrive by 7:30 for preparation. We ask the girls to arrive this early to avoid these discrepancies. This particular morning our guests were excited for the sunny day and woke up a little early arriving before our regular breakfast time. We do appreciate our guests helping that morning but isnt necessary, most mornings are very peaceful and enjoyable. We can be fast paced as we are generally a full house but never expect our guests to do more than relax and enjoy their stay.
Again we apologize and appreciate your feedback, we hope to see you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed at Marketa's overnight, and just loved it. I was upgraded to a beautiful roothe m with ensuite bathroom and jacuzzi bath, due to a cancellation on Victoria day weekend. Loved Victorian decor of my room and soaking in tub with glass of wine after a long day of sightseeing in Victoria. The room was quiet and comfortable even if at the front of the house. Breakfast was made to order and delicious including all home made baked goods and fresh seasonal fruit. The hostesses were lots of fun and very accommodating. I recommend this B&B highly and great value at a reasonable price. Within short walking distance from all major sights and attractions in a quiet residential neighborhood.

MADJAY, Montreal

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

We visited this nice bed and breakfast last month. The accomodation was on walking distance of city center. The room was good and very clean. It even had a yakuzi. The people who worked at the b&b are very nice and friendly. And the breakfasts are delicious. I should recommend this b&b to everyone.

• Stayed May 2012
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed at Marketa's Bed and Breakfast the other weekend and absolutely loved it. The staff is so friendly and helpful. The rooms were gorgeous and full of character. And the breakfast was scrumptious.
I would recommend Marketa's Bed and Breakfast to anyone.

10 out of 10.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew H
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

If you're looking for a place with sumptious home-cooked breakfast, this is for you! You have a choice of pancakes, bagel w/ salmon, eggs benedict or french toast. Yum! The rooms are just average. It's about 10 mins. walk away from the city center. The hostess is also very friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

We arrived in Victoria late in the afternoon, tired and ready to rest our feet.. With only a few short minutes walk right from the centre of the city we were pleasantly suprised, right from the warm welcome by marketa the host, to the best dark roast coffee in the morning we have had in a long time. We were very happy with the beautifully appointed rooms Marketa had reserved for us, the bed so warm and comforting. The morning was a full house, but we shared stories and made friends while all care and attention was given to everyone while beautifully arranged gourmet breakfasts were being served, What elegance and charm in the old character home, We gladly will reccomend this bed and breakfast to everyone who would like to enjoy such wonderful experience as we had, we were very sad to leave and will definatley be coming back. Thank you to Marketa and her wonderful friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline S
vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

We booked here based on the reviews we read on trip advisor and the location. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed with our stay: the room was advertised as the honeymoon suite; however it was tiny and there were three other rooms on the floor that were the exact same (jacuizzi in the room, etc). At breakfast, we had to wait in the adjacent sitting room for 20 minutes and then had to ask to be able to sit in the dinning room. The staff at the breakfast were not very friendly. When we returned to our room in the evening, our bed was not even made. Very poor for the amount we were paying.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mcneicerachel
msgypsy, Owner at Marketa's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear Rachel,
Sorry to hear that your expectations were not met. The room is not advertised as a honeymoon suite, it is advertised as a honeymoon room. The price for the room is 125.00 Canadian which is a very fair price for being downtown in the center of Victoria and includes a full gourmet breakfast from our menu ( please see photo link attached of the room) .http://marketas.com/images/rooms/photo_th-8.jpg........ we are sorry that there was little wait for breakfast, we had a full house and were very busy, we provided muffins, tea and juice as soon as there was space in the dining room which was approx 10 min we called you in and provided a full gourmet breakfast. I am not sure if you find us unfriendly but I do recall chatting with you the night before upon your arrival about your bicycle trip, our staff pride themselves on making this a home and welcoming to all., as our guest book clearly states. I will however apologize for any mistakes our part time staff member made. When you checked out I wish you had brought this matter to my attention and I would have offered you a discount.