“Imagine being on a 100-year old schooner surrounded by the beauty of Victoria”

Maple Leaf Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cruise the Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands area aboard Canada's classic, 92-foot schooner Maple Leaf. Take the helm under instruction, help raise sails, tack/gybe and douse sail as well. Learn about the maritime, natural and cultural history of this area by cruising the coastline with expert guides.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had one of the best day cruise experiences onboard the Maple Leaf over an Easter long weekend a few years ago. The ship itself is a thing of beauty, right out of the movies … dark handcrafted wood touched with brass and graced by three tall white sails. We took an afternoon tour of the Victoria Harbour which was accompanied by a gourmet lunch and Maple Leaf bock beer (created by a local Victoria craft micro-brew). The crew were so helpful and happy which just added to the overall pleasure of the day. I would highly recommend this outing for anyone looking for a leisurely way to spend a sunny afternoon or impress a special someone on a date!

2  Thank Monimoni2014
There are newer reviews for Maple Leaf Adventures

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I did a multi-day trip with Maple Leaf - the Tall Sails to Ales tour (a must for any beer and food lover or locavore) from Victoria through the Gulf Islands. The ship itself is a thing of beauty, being a perfectly restored heritage schooner with lots of space and a cosy cabin area.
The staff was well acquainted with maritime, geographical, and culinary arts and each day was packed with the best the West Coast can offer. Pods of orcas, porpoises, sea lions, seals, hawks, eagles, jelly fish, ancient white shell First Nations middens, quiet coves, day hikes and stunning views of the coastline from the sea. This is the kind of trip that made me (a local) so proud to be from this neck of the woods, and would be a great way for travellers to get an off-the-beaten-path look at our coastal secrets in comfort.

3  Thank Harlowsgirl
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have had the absolute pleasure of doing two trips now with Maple Leaf and her crew. They were hands down the best boat trips I have ever done. The Crew is friendly, knowledgable and just down right awesome! Not only did I get to wine and dine on some incredible cuisine onboard and have my mind expanded with loads of knowledge about the ecology of the area and little tidbits of sea faring tales, but the sheer experience of spending time on such a magnificent vessel was one I will never forget! The Gulf Islands are a beautiful area not far from Vancouver with lots of things to see. I also had my mind BLOWN by what our incredible coastline has to offer up in Haida Gwaii and The Great Bear Rainforest! I would highly recommend heading out on Maple Leaf to experience our amazing coastline and realizing how important it is for us to protect it against oil tankers and any other threat that could damage one of our Earth's most precious treasures!

3  Thank Chili T
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I had the absolute pleasure to sail on the Maple Leaf and it continues to be one of the best experiences I have ever had. Everyone from the captain and crew, to my fellow guests, were in high spirits the entire trip. The service and food were as amazing as this ship herself. The best part of the entire experience was the gentle coaxing by the crew to sit on the bowsprit as we gently rolled along the waves. It was the closest I've been to feeling like a sailor! I would highly recommend a trip with Maple Leaf Adventures!

2  Thank brianinvictoria
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had the good fortune to sail with the Maple Leaf crew a few years ago to Alaska, during which time I befriended a couple of repeat customers who had spent time on the Maple Leaf sailing about the Great Bear Forest. They simply raved about the experience, and I hope to do a second voyage there one day.

Travelers are in good hands with Captain Kevin Smith, who was born on Salt Spring Island in British Columbia. Smith knows his stuff — he got his first boat at the same time he received his first bicycle. He is quite knowledgeable out and about, having worked as a back country ranger for BC Parks in Canada and with the country’s Coast Guard before taking control of the Maple Leaf.

He feels a special bond with the Maple Leaf and his guests, and a great responsibility for the traditions of his vessel. “The Maple Leaf changes people forever,” he said over breakfast one morning. “I am a guardian for something much bigger than myself."

The days are full of easy-access exploration, and during evening talks at the dinner table Smith and staff share insightful stories about how the rich wildlife and history in the region.

There were many highlights of my time with the friendly and helpful crew, but a few stand out:

One day, the Maple Leaf slipped through a narrow channel at high tide into Red Fish Bay and hopped ashore near a stand of red alders. We entered the moss-strewn woods and stepped into a canvass that reeked of bear-land; fresh scat and a formidable fresh bear track indicated company was near. We found an incredible stream that would provide a perfect salmon lunching spot for bears during spawning season, complete with streamside perches for harvesting the fish. It was a magical spot.

One morning we headed to what naturalist Alisan Watt refers to as “out where the continent’s hem unravels,” where Saint Lazaria Island rises about 160 feet above the surging ocean at the entrance to Sitka Sound. The island is so small – 65 acres – that as storm surf slams against the cliffs, you can feel the impact. Of course, we got to explore it in Maple Leaf's two inflatables, and captured incredible images of the birds there.

One day after watching icebergs birth new flows from aboard the inflatables, we appropriated some sparkling ice, which Smith chopped up once back onboard and served some heady scotch over the ancient but pure ice. At that point, it didn't take much imagination to toast our good fortune.

I would recommend the outfit to anyone with a lick of adventure and inquisitive nature.

John H, Ostdick