“I Love This Restaurant”

Hanks A Restaurant
Ranked #90 of 1,270 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Hanks * A Restaurant. We think that says it all. Yeah we use mostly local, free run, hormone free, happy things. More importantly we use big flavors on them to create different things. The menu changes drastically week to week. We're open late, sometimes it's loud, sometimes it 's not. We have a wicked beer, wine and cocktail selection. We don't have a lot of seats. Also the phone doesn't work and we tend to not check messages so please don't be offended. Come say hi please.
Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

This place is a gem. Great drinks, fantastic food, and irreverent charming service. Not cheap but the quality and creativity of the food exceeds the price point. Be aware thought that you basically sit in the kitchen as a customer so your clothes end up smelling like kitchen. Avoid wearing your expensive and highly smell absorbent Cowichan sweaters ya hipsters

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

We stopped by Hanks for dinner last night; couple of locals recommended it and we were blown away. What a lovely little eatery.

We shared a few of the smaller plates - duck rilletts, wagyu nachos and the mussels

The food was superb as was the service and the chefs sat with us at the end of their shift happily sharing info on their menu.

Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

We visited it occasionally just looked for some dinner - great small place.
So kindly bartenders !
They gave us an explanation about all food and drinks.
I tasted one of the most good aged hamburger.
We took also some specific local made and local created ! cocktails.
Anymore all dishes were made from great fresh components.
Nuce cosy atmosphere
I recommend this place.

1  Thank Ambassador620470
Reviewed June 27, 2018

Restaurant was recommended by a staff person at the Fish Store, so we tried it thinking it was BBQ, but it isn't. Small place with a couple tables, and bar stools at counter--friendly staff very serious about their food and cuts of meat being prepared with care. Gourmet dishes with menu changing regularly. Had pork belly burger with fried egg on top -- as that is one of their top sellers. Very good!

1  Thank donnaoracion
Reviewed June 19, 2018 via mobile

I work in the area, so walk by Hanks often. Today decided to stop in as it was early and not yet packed. I sat at the bar and ordered a glass of wine and the “steak sandwich’ which sounded really interesting. For 9$ I was expecting only a small (but quality) tasting plate and was surprised that the steak chunk was so large. Unfortunately it was pretty much inedible. Super tough, zero taste. When the cook asked me how I liked it, I (normally an “it’s good, thanks” person no matter what the experience) I told him. He blinked, shrugged his shoulders and got back to cooking. I pushed the plate off to the side and got my bill. Now, the owner Andrew, stopped by and asked the same question and I gave him the same answer. He offfered to comp but since I already paid, that wasn’t on. He did tell me to mention my experience to him next time I come in which was nice and the right thing to do. It’s too bad his staff didn’t get him over to me as soon as I expressed my discontent. Seriously, everything on the menu looks great but I’m not sure I will be back. So many other great dining options in Victoria.

3  Thank LyndZ4496