“Creepy crawlies”

Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart Gardens Tour by Bus
Ranked #12 of 202 things to do in Victoria
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Victoria Bug Zoo opened its doors in 1997 and has been showing visitors of downtown Victoria our awe-inspiring bugs ever since. A visit to this must-see mini zoo offers an excellent opportunity to view and experience live tropical bugs from around the world. All the animals are alive and in tanks. Discover roughly 50 fascinating species including giant walking sticks, beautiful praying mantis, glow-in-the-dark scorpions, hairy tarantulas, and Canada’s largest ant colony. Knowledgeable tour guides will introduce you to the wonderful world of bugs, give a wealth of information about the animals on display, and provide a safe bug handling experience for the more adventurous. You can choose the level of interaction you have with our friendly animals. Don’t forget your camera to document this unique experience! The displays are ever changing so come in and be amazed by the extensive collection of invertebrates from around the world any time of the year. This stop is sure to thrill everyone; from children, adults, bug-lovers to even the more skeptical visitors! Tours always in progress, so no matter when you come, you are always right on time. Don’t miss this unforgettable, hands-on adventure while in Victoria, BC!
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Fun for everyone. Whether it's a hot summer day or a rainy spring afternoon, head down to the Bug Zoo. I'm not a fan of creepy crawlies but the guides at the zoo helped to teach me more about them and help me understand them, so they are not as scary as they once were. My favourites were the stick bugs and leaf bugs. It's an excellent way to spend a couple of hours while visiting Victoria or exploring the city we live in

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Even spider-hatess might be tempted to hold big hariy ones. The hands-on experience was very fun for all ages. Just be open minded and you might befriend a scorpion

Reviewed August 16, 2014

I did find the fees to a bit expensive for what you get. It was smaller than I thought but I really enjoyed seeing all the different critters. I even found one that I want to add to the household population but that is not possible so I have to live with the picture. We have stickbugs as pets so this was right up our alley. It is something that kids will enjoy, especially the handling of some of the occupants. We were there Aug 2013 so I am not sure about their pricing now, should check their website if you are interested.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

The zoo is a room filled with tanks of insects. There is a "tour guide" in the room to talk about the critters and you can hold some of them but the guide in the room while we were there got stuck in one spot. The information in the wall is adult level reading and when most of the clientele is under the age of 12, it would be nice for there to be information at an easier reading level. We were done the zoo in about half an hour and my daughter enjoys insects, we payed $17.50 with tax for the two of us. I felt bad for the families coming in after us paying $50.

1  Thank temby77
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Fun little place that the kids thought was really cool. Being able to handle some of the critters made for a great experience. A larger space with more bugs would make this place even better.