“Super cool zoo!”

Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart Gardens Tour by Bus
Ranked #11 of 202 things to do in Victoria
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Victoria Bug Zoo opened its doors in 1997 and has been showing visitors of downtown Victoria our awe-inspiring bugs ever since. A visit to this must-see mini zoo offers an excellent opportunity to view and experience live tropical bugs from around the world. All the animals are alive and in tanks. Discover roughly 50 fascinating species including giant walking sticks, beautiful praying mantis, glow-in-the-dark scorpions, hairy tarantulas, and Canada’s largest ant colony. Knowledgeable tour guides will introduce you to the wonderful world of bugs, give a wealth of information about the animals on display, and provide a safe bug handling experience for the more adventurous. You can choose the level of interaction you have with our friendly animals. Don’t forget your camera to document this unique experience! The displays are ever changing so come in and be amazed by the extensive collection of invertebrates from around the world any time of the year. This stop is sure to thrill everyone; from children, adults, bug-lovers to even the more skeptical visitors! Tours always in progress, so no matter when you come, you are always right on time. Don’t miss this unforgettable, hands-on adventure while in Victoria, BC!
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Took the 5 year old, and expected that I'd be bored but feel like a good parent. I thought this zoo was excellent! It is small and if you don't join in with one of the tour guides, it could seem a bit "meh" as you look in a few tanks and see a few bugs. But we joined in with Emily as she took us from tank to tank, cage to cage, and told us *everything* there is to know about bugs and insects. We did a full round (I think it was about 90 minutes) and then did a bit of an overlap as my son still wanted to see one more beetle or spider. I have tonnes of pictures of him holding bugs, I got to hold some bugs, and he has delighted in explaining various bug tidbits in the days since ("If the queen ant dies, there won't be any more babies and the colony will die. Then they'll need to get a new queen. But she can live up to 17 years! They can't find her, but that's good. She isn't stressed out.")

Emily was excellent.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Five years ago my kids (3, 6 and 8 at the time) we spending the summer in Victoria and visited the Bug Zoo twice. We're from Russia and my kids didn't speak English but nevertheless the Bug Zoo was one of the highlights of our trip. My fearless bug-loving daughter wore the millipede moustache and my three year old was enchanted by the stick bugs. He didn't want the guide to take them off his arm. My kids have wonderful pictures of themselves with all the bugs and we are really looking forward to visiting again this summer.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

One of life's wonderful small pleasures. Especially so if you have children with you. You get to see and HOLD tarantulas, walking sticks, praying mantises and millipedes! The current guide, Mark, who completed his college studies genuinely liked his insects and was able to present them in about the best way I have ever seen. Good job! There is also a leaf-cutting ant clear-tube display that spans three walls, and may be the largest such display in Canada. A great way to spend 1-to-2 hours. Located in downtown Victoria.

1  Thank Morris-Madison
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I absolutely love the Victoria Bug Zoo and the tours they give for people to actually hold many of the amazing insects. I bring as many young people I can to visit as they will likely never see any insects like these in Canada otherwise.

1  Thank Julie D
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was very impressed with the Bug Zoo. They had a huge variety of 'bugs' to see and touch! Yes, you can actually hold (carefully) some of the creatures! My children, who were skeptical at first, ended up loving the time we spent. They (and I) learned so much. The narrator was very knowledgeable and she led us to each terrarium and gave in depth information and tons of opportunities to ask questions. Definitely consider this family-fun activity if visiting Victoria!

1  Thank urban_girlie