“i found a place we enjoy”
Review of Helm's Inn

Helm's Inn
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Saskatoon, Canada
“i found a place we enjoy”
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We have stayed at several hotels in the Victoria inner harbor area over the years, but we have never checked in this one before. Even we have drove by it many times, the hotel had never appealed to us very much. .However, we check into this hotel during our recent trip to Victoria. It was a quite surprise once we entered our suite! Above a dinning table, there was a nice lamp gives us a sense of home right away. Unlike those typical kitchenettes in most hotels’ suites, this kitchen is a full kitchen. It comes with a stove/even, a hood fan, an apartment size refrigerator and a microwave. The cabinets looked very clean and modern, with thick granite counter tops and glass doors. When I opened those cabinets, I found a toaster, a coffee maker, a tea pot and plenty of utensils. There are even some creamers ready in the refrigerator for coffee.
From the dinning area walked into the living room, the floor from granite tiles change to hard wood, both rooms looked very clean and fresh. The size of living room is small, but for a hotel room, it’s still a nice size. Furniture is not fancy, but comfortable. A plasma TV sits in front of a large hide-a-way sofa bed. Next to the living room there is a separated bedroom with a King-size bed and another plasma TV. The bed is very comfortable. Decors are tasteful.
After we have settled in, we realized that we were only one block from the Victoria Inner Harbor, BC Parliament Building, the Royal BC Museum, the Empress Hotel and Victoria Conference Center. Although we were in the middle of everything, we still felt like we were in a quite park like area. In the front of the hotel, there is a beautiful park extends all the way to a nice beach, a great place for a morning/evening walk!
Next to the lobby, there is a “tea room” offers complimentary coffee, tea, fruits and cookies every afternoon. We met three couples during our tea-break. They told us that they stayed there for 2-3 months every year for last ten years and how much they enjoyed their stay. For the location, the amenities and price, we are so glad that we have finally discovered a place we enjoy in the beautiful Victoria.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SpringThunder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Clean hotel with nice rooms. The beds were comfortable. Nice little kitchenette. Two blocks from the inner harbour. Four blocks to a large grocery shop, video rental shop and drug store. Reasonable prices. Didn't like the wired internet...but that's just personal preference.

Warning...no elevator, so if you don't do stairs ask for the basement level.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank AloraDanin
Portland, OR
Reviewed December 30, 2009

For about half, or less, than surrounding lodging, we had a private bedroom with a flat screen TV, a brand new, fully furnished, full kitchen, sitting area with its own flat screen TV, and a new bathroom. The housekeeping is impeccable. The reception people don't gush, but they do their job. Free wireless. We stayed at the Princess once, the Admiral twice, and here ever since. We'll be back!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LuViPortland
Calgary
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Based on positive Tripadvisor reviews, I stayed here Sept.18-22, 2009. The reviews are accurate. The hotel is comprised of three separate buildings. The main building is on the corner of Douglas and Superior. The other two are located west along Superior. I stayed one night in a studio kitchen suite in the main building, and two nights in a one-bedroom kitchen suite in the westernmost Royale building. Both rooms were very nice, clean and comfortable. The one-bedroom was on the small side, but newly renovated. The studio was older, with carpet and lino, but still clean and comfortable, and it seemed roomier with a bit more character, than the one-bedroom. The east side of the main building borders Douglas Street which is busy, so if you sleep light and with the windows open, you may want to request a room off this street.

Location is excellent: kitty-corner to Beacon Hill Park and the museum, 5 minute walk to the inner harbour and Parliament Buildings, 10 minute walk to downtown shopping and restaurants, 15 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf and the Dallas Road sea walk. Close enough to the downtown action to walk, yet far enough to get away from the crowds. I enjoyed quiet, early-morning coffee with the Haida totems and the birds in the museum park just north of the main building.

Staff were pleasant and helpful. Excellent value. I will definately look to stay here again on my next trip. No hesitation in recommending to others.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank BioguyCalgary
Lacey
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Funny how my view of things change as I get older. When I was younger I ooooed and ahhhhhed at the Empress, saying to myself I would one day stay there when I could afford it. Well, 20 years later and more than able to afford it , I just walked walked through that hotel and laughed. The Helms Inn is everything I wanted at this stage of my life(39). It is; quiet,safe,clean inexpensive and not pretentious at all. The price for two wonderful nights was 2/3 of ONE night at a higher end hotels. The other good reviews sum it up so no need to go on and on. One thing that was not mentioned was the Old Spaghetti factory a block away. We ate there both nights! When I find a great place to eat why venture out for something else! After 3 pints of beer it is an easy walk up the hill to the hotel. Another thing.....its quiet! I think the other patrons also have real jobs so it was quiet all night. The room we had was 318, a king studio on the corner of the main building. I will stay here again if I return to Victoria.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank olympiaguy
Prince George, BC, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2009

My Fiancee stayed here on August 14 and we had a wonderful stay while there. We reserved via the 1-800 number and had no problems whatsoever. The room was incredibly clean and recently renovated complete with a nice modern kitchen and bathroom. We also had a fridge, stove, and microwave oven as well. The room was very quiet and peaceful with a king size bed. We had a great nights sleep. The only downside was that we had to pay $5 for parking and there are not many spots available.

Helms Inn is very close to downtown and many restaurants as well the Royal BC Museum and the Inner Harbour. You are also right beside Beacon Hill Park for those of you who like to run. The Victoria Conference Centre is right up the street as well as the Grey Hound Bus Depot. For the meager price we paid, it was by far the best value I have seen in a hotel in a long time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank PG_Coach
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed August 27, 2009

It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the rooms inside are very nicely appointed! We stayed in a one-bdrm. suite. Our room was on the ground floor on the side of the building that was a bit dark and damp, but once we got inside the room, we were impressed by the new laminate flooring throughout, granite kitchen counters, full appliances, and lots of closet space. Clean, beautiful furniture. A person could easily use it as a regular (and very nice) apartment (I believe they have monthly rates, too, for that purpose). Great location (practically next to the Royal Museum), easy walking to major attractions and good eating places. Great value!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family