“Mostly good- great for the price!”
Review of Helm's Inn

Helm's Inn
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We took my husband's parents to visit Victoria and stayed at the Helm's Inn.
The pros:
1) The front desk staff were great!
2) The rooms were clean, well appointed
3) The location is EXCELLENT- I can't stress enough how great this location- its right by everything unless you can't walk at all.
4) My inlaws got the suite and its huge! We got a regular room and its tiny but adequate for people who only want to sleep there.
5) The price for the quality and location cannot be beat and believe me I did a lot of research.

The cons:
1) There are three buildings, we were in the furthest west. It looks like they've taken bigger rooms and chopped them up to make the smaller rooms which is no big deal except the walls are SUPER thin. We got to hear quite a bit of "interesting" things from the couple next door. However, don't let this stop you from staying there, just take earplugs- we had rooms in Europe that were just as noisy.
2) Bed was good but like 90% of the places we've stayed all over the world, the pillows are like slabs of concrete. Not as bad as some ones we had in Bologna that actually made my ears hurt so I wrapped it in my sweater to try to get a little cushion.
3) There is no elevator so if you're on the 3rd floor you're hiking. Not a problem for my husband and I but my mom in law is 76 with bad vision and my father in law just turned 80. If you have any issues with that get a room in the main building on the first floor or on the second in the other two.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AandMLoveTravel

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Helm's Inn doesn't pretend to be upscale, but if you can do without the luxe spa, full restaurant, and swimming pool, it is an entirely satisfactory place to stay in Victoria because it is clean, well maintained, incredibly well located, and reasonable. Our room was spacious and well appointed and contained a kitchenette which we found most useful. The great thing about the hotel is that it is in easy walking distance of all the main activities and attractions of downtown Victoria and has a pleasantly relaxed and comfortable feel about it.

Room Tip: There are only three floors but there is no elevator if you have an issue with stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard_MLM
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I came here with 2 other friends. We booked a 2 bed small suite, with a kitchenette.

The overall room was nice and clean. The small kitchen was well supplied and obviously renovated, as was the bathroom. The bedroom part was older, but still pleasant.

There was enough space for everyone and the location was really convenient. Price was great, especially shared between 4 adults in 2 double beds.

Check in & out was smooth and easy.

Will come again.

Room Tip: Note that there are 3 or 4 separate buildings. It is not a motel, but you might still need to go out...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This small hotel has a great price point and an excellent location going for it! Located right behind the Royal BC Museum it couldn't have been better. We were able to walk everywhere downtown. We booked two rooms (4 adults) and unfortunately they were in different buildings, not ideal, but we could work with it. Each room came with a functioning kitchenette and since I like to eat a simple meal to start my day this was perfect. The cleaner did a pretty good job, but missed the bathroom light switch and the edges of the table, but overall I could deal with it.
This hotel was a bit tired, but it met our needs.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Comoxfoodie
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Booked the last room available in the hotel over a busy weekend. Arrived at the hotel to check in and was informed of a maintenance issue and that they couldn't rent the room out. Instead of simply giving me a voucher as most establishments would do, they booked me an equivalent room (though much costlier) at a nearby hotel at no additional cost to me. Even included parking for free. We were bummed that we didn't actually get to stay at the hotel, but I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed with the service. Will definitely be back to stay on our next Victoria trip!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We spent two nights here in late August. The location was ideal. Beacon Hill Park across the street was beautiful. Saw a wild peacock and great flowers. Our room was newly furnished. It was very clean and quiet. Our room was in the unattached building. We used our key to enter the front door of the building - it felt like we were going to our own apartment. We could have used a towel rack in the bathroom but the corner shelves served us well. Great lighting in the bathroom. AC worked well. We couldn't have asked for more. Hotel staff in reception area very nice and helpful. Free computer in the lobby was bigger than most TVs.

Room Tip: This is a unique hotel in a beautiful city. We would definitely return here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2012

If you are looking for a place to stay in Victoria close to the Harbour, this is quite reasonable and very convenient. It is two blocks easy walk from the empress hotel and close to everything in downtown Victoria.

• Stayed: July 2012