Helm's Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Fairmont Empress(Victoria)
  • Restaurant
Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites(Victoria)
Embassy Inn(Victoria)
  • Pool
All reviewsbeacon hill parkno elevatorfull kitchenbc museumgreat locationmain buildingsmall kitchenempress hotelgreat kitchenshort walkdowntown victoriawithin walking distancemurphy bedreception areaseparate bedroomlarge rooman older hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Hotel very well located close to the harbor, restaurants and so on.
Rooms are really cosy, well equipped, clean, etc... We had a kind of appartment and it was really perfect to spend a few nights and not being obliged to go to the restaurant every evening.

I could have rated this hotel with a 5 if we would not have been really disturbed by a lot of noise coming from the upstairs room all over the night. The staff tried to do something but didn't succeed...

At the end, I will probably go back to this hotel anyhow.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank schuminou
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Last year I stayed at this small hotel complex, in the Thunderbird building, this year in the Mount Royale building. Their lengthy room renovations seem nearly complete. They have done a nice job, unifying the rooms with nice modern decor. I think all have a kitchen or kitchenette, since two of the three buildings were originally small apartment buildings. I quite like the place, but there a couple of negatives. The parking is cramped and not really adequate, and noise can be a problem in some rooms. Douglas and Superior is a fairly busy intersection, but the traffic does quiet down in the evening. This year I was in the Mt. Royale so didn't have that problem. However, I was bothered by guest noise (until after midnight) on one of my five nights. The room doors are rather flimsy and loud noise can easily travel out one door and into yours. That said, the location is handy and the price is right.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This place is just about perfect in every way. Great rooms, staff, location, ambiance and yes price. Ok, the place does not have a pool or a restaurant, but it is in downtown Victoria. I can't see wishing to have either one.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Helms Inn was a superb choice for our several days visit to Victoria. It is not fancy, but it is very pleasant and had a great deal of space for the price. I appreciated having a kitchen, complete with kitchen table and chairs, a sitting area with a sofa and TV, and a separate bedroom. Our room even had a little balcony, although not much of a view.

Before our trip, I had combed the accommodation for Victoria both on Trip Advisor and other websites for the best place to stay. I looked at bed-and-breakfast and vacation rental apartments as well. My sister lives close to Victoria and had told me the Helms Inn was the best choice and the best deal for the money, and after all my research I concluded that she was right. Of course, if I'd been willing to spend a lot more money, we could have stayed a place with more charm, but the Helms Inn was pleasant and comfortable and the price was great.

Once we were in Victoria, I especially appreciated the Helms Inn’s remarkable location with the waterfront a five-minute walk away, the museum a three-minute walk away, and the beautiful big park kitty corner across the street.

Room Tip: I liked having a balcony, and only some rooms in the middle building do, so if you would like this feature, ask when booking (it doesn't really have a view, but it was pleasant to be outside.)
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2012

a great little hotel. We ordered the cheapest option, and got a large, clean and generally well maintained room (enormous bed), with excellent amenities. The staff were friendly and helpful, there was air conditioning and free wifi, cooking and dining facilities - all for ~110 Canadian $.
The hotel is 3 minutes away from the Royal BC Museum, and 5 from the inner harbor - so great location as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple