“Good Economical Choice”
Review of Helm's Inn

Helm's Inn
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Last year I stayed at this small hotel complex, in the Thunderbird building, this year in the Mount Royale building. Their lengthy room renovations seem nearly complete. They have done a nice job, unifying the rooms with nice modern decor. I think all have a kitchen or kitchenette, since two of the three buildings were originally small apartment buildings. I quite like the place, but there a couple of negatives. The parking is cramped and not really adequate, and noise can be a problem in some rooms. Douglas and Superior is a fairly busy intersection, but the traffic does quiet down in the evening. This year I was in the Mt. Royale so didn't have that problem. However, I was bothered by guest noise (until after midnight) on one of my five nights. The room doors are rather flimsy and loud noise can easily travel out one door and into yours. That said, the location is handy and the price is right.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This place is just about perfect in every way. Great rooms, staff, location, ambiance and yes price. Ok, the place does not have a pool or a restaurant, but it is in downtown Victoria. I can't see wishing to have either one.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Helms Inn was a superb choice for our several days visit to Victoria. It is not fancy, but it is very pleasant and had a great deal of space for the price. I appreciated having a kitchen, complete with kitchen table and chairs, a sitting area with a sofa and TV, and a separate bedroom. Our room even had a little balcony, although not much of a view.

Before our trip, I had combed the accommodation for Victoria both on Trip Advisor and other websites for the best place to stay. I looked at bed-and-breakfast and vacation rental apartments as well. My sister lives close to Victoria and had told me the Helms Inn was the best choice and the best deal for the money, and after all my research I concluded that she was right. Of course, if I'd been willing to spend a lot more money, we could have stayed a place with more charm, but the Helms Inn was pleasant and comfortable and the price was great.

Once we were in Victoria, I especially appreciated the Helms Inn’s remarkable location with the waterfront a five-minute walk away, the museum a three-minute walk away, and the beautiful big park kitty corner across the street.

Room Tip: I liked having a balcony, and only some rooms in the middle building do, so if you would like this f...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2012

a great little hotel. We ordered the cheapest option, and got a large, clean and generally well maintained room (enormous bed), with excellent amenities. The staff were friendly and helpful, there was air conditioning and free wifi, cooking and dining facilities - all for ~110 Canadian $.
The hotel is 3 minutes away from the Royal BC Museum, and 5 from the inner harbor - so great location as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Have stayed at hotels in over 15 countries till date but I must say I was thoroughly impressed by the Helms Inn. It's a simple 2star inn with a very basic exterior....but don't let that fool you.

Excellent location in the heart of downtown Victoria; just a hop skip and jump from the Pacific Coach bus depot.

What I found most impressive were their rooms. Stayed in a normal King Suite and it was amazing in every aspect....cleanliness, spacious, full fledged kitchen, great bathroom, etc.
The overall experience was just fabulous.

Do not think twice before booking this hotel....it's superb!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kevin_Mumbai
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We were delightfully surprised by our room with a kitchen here. Shame we only had one night as it was good value and close to Victoria CBD and harbour attractions. We had a good night's rest and were able to make our own meals.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We spent a week at Helm's Inn visiting our grandsons in July. Our third-floor room was spacious, impeccably clean, comfortable and had a full kitchen. Our only complaint was the design of the bathroom: it was tiny with too little space for toiletries or hanging our towels out to dry. Our windows faced Douglas Street, so at night we closed them and turned the fan to low on the AC, which solved the problem. (We never needed air conditioning.) The folks at the desk gave us good advice and free coffee and the fixings were always available in the lobby. The Inn is located at the south gate of Beacon Hill Park, a lovely place to walk, attend concerts, and appreciate some of Victoria's history. It's a short walk to downtown, The Empress, the BC Museum, and the lively inner harbor area. Though the Inn charges daily for parking, their rate is cheap. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: If you cannot manage stairs with your luggage, ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple