“Great Place - food, service & beer choices are amazing!”
Review of The Guild

The Guild
Reserve with OpenTable
The Guild is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #137 of 1,227 Restaurants in Victoria
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Victoria's signature Gastropub. Specializing in delicious West Coast cuisine, extensive rotating craft beer selection, feature cocktails, superb wine list, top-shelf scotch, whiskey, and bourbon offerings. Our Dinner Menu includes: house-ground Angus burger, clam linguine, aged rib-eye, sirloin steak, grilled eggplant, fish & chips, smoke salmon salad, goat cheese salad, smoked duck, Mussels, seared salmon, and many other dishes. Our Lounge Menu includes: truffle fries, marinated olives, scotch egg, poutine, edamame, kennebec chips, bacon in a glass, giant pretzel, put neuf chips, and many more. HAPPY HOUR: 3pm to 6pm every day; 9pm to close Sunday thru Thursday. Any three lounge menu items for $15. Half-Price Burger. Large Ploughman's Platter & Bottle of wine $59. Also, $4 sleeves of local craft beer, $4.50 single highballs; $6.50 double highballs; $7.50 feature cocktails; $6 house wine/$25 bottles; $6.50 prosecco/$35 bottles; $5 shafts.
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I don't live in Victoria, but go the The Guild every time I am in the city. It is always great, the servers are friendly and courteous, the food is amazing, and the choice of beers is second to none.
Last week I was in Victoria & went to the Brewmaster's Dinner they have once a month. It was fabulous. Three courses with beer pairings for each course...and not just a small glass of beer, but a full 16 oz. all for $50 plus tip. Unbelievable value for the high quality of food and beer that are served.
My other favourite is the Prime Rib roast dinner they have every Sunday. I have been to The Guild 5 or 6 times when I have been in Victoria and have always had a great meal... love this place!

1  Thank Love Food S

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I am a Britisher. I know pubs and i know English pub food. This place is a poor facsimile and though i accept this is Canada the fakeness of this establishment in a heavily touristed town like Victoria leads me to conclude this is a tourist attraction, a poor attempt to give visitors a real English pub experience on Queen Victoria's door step.
A chalkboard on the wall makes it clear the owner wants to give punters British pub food which he describes as 'homey'.
The fact is our food was very poor quality, not just the quality but the menu itself. My burger, a UK Pub staple, was a bun with a slider pattie. It had cheese apparently but i couldn't find it in the salad jungle. My partner had a fish pie which came in a flat dish; pies don't come in flat dishes and if they do you know why.....the pastry lid was limp and in her words, it was previously frozen peas and carrots with 1 inch square piece of fish in white sauce. Our friends steak pie looked as if it was covered in a plastic gravy.....her face was a picture. If i had this food at home i think i'd get take out and you may have found this english pub food in a pub in the 80s but English pub food is now much more sophisticated and the quality doesn't compare with anything i have eaten in a UK pub for years. Pie an chips is old hat but if done it is outstanding.
As a venue It looks fantastic and could be an awesome place with a new kitchen staff and no table service.
And that is in my opinion where all Canadian 'pubs' miss the point. English pubs don't have servers. You order your food at the bar and it gets delivered to your table. thats it. You go to the bar for your drinks, you can stand at the bar, you share tables, it's is always a pub first, not a restaurant masquerading as a pub, this creates atmosphere and that is what makes a pub, not table service in a 'pub' stage setting.
There are a few things i truly miss about the UK, Indian food, fish and chips and our pubs. The Guild could be one but it is a poor copy, massively over priced for what it is and a wasted opportunity.

6  Thank sirstig
Reviewed December 14, 2013

It is unfortunate that this restaurant does not understand that the need clients to survive. There is plenty of competition in Victoria that know the value of true customer service. We booked our company Christmas function for 12+ people for mid-afternoon. We had our mediocre lunch with service that required us to get the servers attention to get the service. A few hours later were told to leave with the explanation given was they had another reservation, but no attempt to accommodate us elsewhere. This was never explained when we booked our reservation. Staff, managers and the owner could offer nothing but poor explanations and and a few insults. We promptly took our business to another establishment that values its customers. Having worked in the service industry for over a decade, this is the worst restaurant service I have ever experienced. Advice: Stay well away from The Guild!!!!

3  Thank KDHN
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I say this restaurant is disappointing for a couple of important reasons. First, I hope the owner reads these reviews because only s/he has the power to turn around their dream before it's too late.

First, I showed up at an odd time for any restaurant but that's a good thing because you get to see how people operate when things are slack. I sat at the bar, ordered a great California craft stout ale and took in the scenery. Unfortunately, I had two (2) people sitting next to me who rambled on like two (2) twelve year olds. One was former staff and was was current staff. They used profanity is almost every sentence; were semi-intoxicated; and, had no notion that they were 'representatives' of their workplace and had a duty, while being there, to behave and act like real 'grown-ups'.

Second, the food was disappointing. I had the appetizer of Salt Cod with Mango Chutney. The presentation was not appealing to the eye and the golf ball size cod was fried in oil that was well past it's expiry date. The result was a dark brown blob of over-cooked code mush that had little appeal both visually and taste wise.

To the owner: It's not too late. You need to get a professional staff and a professional manager to monitor them. By the way, I never saw a manager at all during my one hour stay in the facility. I applaud your vision and I know where you want to take this restaurant. I commend you for investing in this vision but, trust me, you will end up being another restaurant casualty if you let the staff run the business. Again, you need quality control and the supervision to enforce standards that are obviously lacking.

Good luck!

4  Thank Bmcarthur
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We walked in thinking that we'd have dinner. But an odd smell (somewhat like a cleaning solution) convinced us to leave after one drink. The waiter was nice, but I just couldn't get past that smell!

3  Thank Jomomma8