“Great food and value”

Catalano Restaurant & Cicchetti Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Featuring the Mediterranean flavours of Italy and Spain, views of the inner harbour and an intimate summer patio
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We recently visited Catalano Restaurant with some friends for dinner. As a rule, I stay away from restaurants that are associated with hotels as they are generally overpriced and pretentious. However, this was definitely the exception to the rule. Located below the Magnolia Hotel, which is conveniently located in the downtown core, we found Catalano do be a pleasant surprise. The room was spacious and comfortable as was the seating. We were there too late to be outside but there were a few outdoor table where one could catch harbour views. The service was relaxed, but efficient and friendly. The food was delicious and well presented, with many interesting choices on the menu. There was an adequate and reasonably priced wine menu. The 4 of us had starters, mains, desserts and 2 bottles of wine and the bill was less than $200 before tip - great value!
We will be back!

Reviewed August 7, 2014

We spent a couple of nights in Victoria in late May. We had a large party for dinner and then brunch the next day. Food was really great and the service just as good. We had salads, salumi platter, various mains including gnocchi. All really good. Next morning 6 of us had brunch: weekend crossword was a hit as was the polenta and chorizo with eggs. Go -- you won't regret it.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I have dined here several times. The menu is varied and interesting with Tapas style starters, Food is consistently good with service second to none. Any concerns are immediately addressed by a very competent staff.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed two nights at the hotel while my husband was on business in Victoria. We had vouchers for the continental breakfast and decided to use them. Our first morning, we were ushered to a very small table for two in a virtually empty restaurant. The host didn't seem to be sensitive to the fact that we wanted to read a newspaper and that my husband is a taller guy.

He said our server would be right with us, but she wasn't. It was quite a while before she came over and she was very indifferent and seemed totally bored to be there. I ordered two eggs off the menu as the continental breakfast seemed a bit scanty.

When the eggs arrived they were delivered on the smallest 'dinner' plate I've ever seen. It wasn't a dinner place, but more like a dessert plate. See attached photos. They made the eggs difficult to eat as I had to avoid sliding them off onto the table! They also were visually unappealing on the small plate. The worst was yet to come.

Upon finishing my eggs - I noticed a hair. I'm blond. Said hair wasn't. It was under the eggs and made my stomach turn.

UGH.

We got NO refill of coffee. We didn't see our serve again after she delivered the eggs. We had to ask another fellow for our bill.

My two eggs cost me $4 as they weren't included in the breakfast and had to be the worst two eggs I've eaten in a long while.

I wanted to give this place a chance so I went back the second day alone. Again - seated at a table for two which was at least ok for one. But again - I had to get up and ask for coffee as no server appeared. I ordered off the menu and had a nice Traditionalist breakfast on a regular sized plate at least.

The same server as from the day before never came back to refill my coffee - maybe there's a policy against coffee refills.

The same server never delivered a bill to me so I left cash and left hoping it covered my charges that weren't covered by the voucher.

I am sorry I have to give this place a mediocre review. I wanted to like it and I enjoy eating out. For me - eating out is about service. If it's lacking, it doesn't matter if the food is spectacular. I can cook at home. I can order take out. When I go out, I want the experience of being served!

I hope others have better luck with this restaurant. I doubt I'll be back.

2  Thank XQU
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I were in Victoria for the weekend visiting, and we were looking for a good place to have breakfast/lunch. We walked up to Catalano and checked out the menu they have posted outside by their entrance. The food sounded really good so we went in. Very friendly service and had a nice little sunny spot on the patio. We both ordered eggs Benny, there are a couple of different options. I had the west coast Benny (this one had salmon on it, so good) and my friend had the weekend crossword Benny (this one had crispy prosciutto on it, also very good). they came with crispy shredded hash browns and a bit of fruit on the side. Everything was so fresh and so yummy, will definitely be back to try some other options on the menu!

1  Thank Chelsea M