“Lovely sushi and gyoza”

The Bop
Ranked #161 of 933 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: James Bay
Description: KOREAN RESTAURANT The word “Bop ” literally means a bowl of rice or a meal, but for Koreans, it holds a deeper meaning. “Bop" goes beyond just a simple meal and becomes a way to connect and show affection towards others. In Korean culture, asking if someone has eaten rice (meal) after inquiring about their well-being is as common as saying "How are you?" in Western cultures. This question reflects a sense of care and consideration for family, friends, and close acquaintances. The Bop wants to share this part of Korean culture with our customers.
Reviewed August 15, 2015

We were very tired after a long drive, so just wanted to have a quick bite to eat. My boyfriend and I both love sushi, so we decided on trying Sushi Matsuri, mainly because it was close to our hotel.

The entrance to this small restaurant is marked by a typical Japanese cloth, but the people working there are, I think, Korean. The interior isn’t much to talk about, but I liked the lanterns which gave the restaurant a lively feel.

Since we were there right before closing time, we decided on ordering some starters and a sushi combination to satisfy our hunger. We went for edamame, oyster tempura, gyoza, the Alaska roll and Combo C (some nigiri and rolls). Our order turned out to be more than enough. We even had some trouble finishing it all.

The nigiri sushi was really good. I loved it. The seaweed in the rolls was a little bit to chewy for my taste, but I enjoyed the rolls nonetheless.

Throughout the meal our tea cups got regularly refilled. Staff was very friendly. Really made us feel welcome.

I can recommend this place, if you’re looking for no nonsense sushi.

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank CarolienBAC

Reviewed July 27, 2015

Sushi Matsuri is a modest little spot to have a quick lunch or dinner. Located near the Parliament building it is not far from the Harbour. The fish was fresh and well portioned. My wife had the tempura and Gyoza which were both hot and delicious. Pricing is very reasonable for the quality. This isn't quite set up for a "fine dining" restaurant experience but the quality of food we had was excellent. Service was prompt and pleasant.
There is also a Koren twist to the menu if you are also so inclined.
We would certainly return when back in Victoria.

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank shogun025
Reviewed May 31, 2015 via mobile

Went here with my girlfriend, had the BBQ eel and flaming dragon roll the eel was my favorite definitely worth another visit

Date of visit: May 2015
1  Thank travelingmaniam
Reviewed May 31, 2015

That is not saying much because I have not found a great place in Victoria for sushi yet. This one passes the test though and James bay is a nice neighbourhood away for the hustle and bussel in tourist season.

Date of visit: February 2015
1  Thank jbarbs8
Reviewed February 20, 2015

Food is so fresh! Came in for sushi, and also ordered bibimbap. I could have continued eating more sushi, but guests were full. I will return on weekend to finish. The ahi was nicely presented, and good portion. We had the crispy California roll, and a few others. All fresh, a good side of wasabi, and ginger. The take-out was very busy that night. Orders of sushi are carefully prepared, containers reviewed by server, and stored in cooler until customer pick-up. Itamae was very nice, and server was lovely. This place was so busy on a Monday night that my only complaint was that service was a little slow - only because they were crazy busy. We were not ignored. Tea was regularly served, and we got to see the lovely food going by. The restaurant is quite small, but very nicely put together. Gives it a very authentic feel. If you are around that neighbourhood worth a stop in. If you are further away very much worth the trip.

Date of visit: February 2015