“Gone down hill”

Cuisines: Japanese
Victoria
“Gone down hill”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We have always been fans of Akemi. We were regulars when it was on Ledsham Rd and no one knew about it. Brent the Manager was one of the reasons we kept going there when it moved over to the Station House. My husband and I went last night only to find out that Brent is no longer there and the quality has gone way down hill.
The shrimp in our Sunomono Salad were dried out, the Beef Sashimi was thick and fatty, the Spicy Tuna Roll tasted odd, the Rock and Roll was barely deep fried and we sent our Prawn Tempura back because the prawns were raw.
We have paid way less for better Sushi in Langford and will not be going back to Akemi.
Brent, if you read this please let us know where you have gone so we can visit you!!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank danabananaVictoria

“Would not go back”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Definitely not the place to go if you have allergies or food sensitivities.

We placed an order for pickup. The order took about twice as long as they indicated despite the restaurant being almost empty. The food was extremely overpriced, which was all the worse since I was unable to eat the $15 roll. The chef had made a mistake on the order and added an ingredient that I cannot eat - which I only discovered after I had eaten a piece. And this after I had had an explicit discussion before placing the order about which menu items did and did not contain wheat.

They were very apologetic and offered to make it up to use but we won't go back.

• Visited October 2013
Sooke, British Columbia, Canada
“Our go-to sushi restaurant in Victoria!”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Delicious, super fresh sushi, wonderful staff who go above and beyond, and a great environment. We get take-out from here a few times a month, and have a sit-down meal every couple of months and are never disappointed. They are always very welcoming, with fast refills, and very fast service. Their sushi chefs are great! We were very impressed recently when the owner completely comped our take-out order when there was a major mix-up with half of it. He told us we would have a credit for the rolls that were wrong, but when we ordered the next time, he ended up comping the entire new order. Going above and beyond for their loyal customers is what keeps us coming back and recommending! :) Thanks!!

• Visited October 2013
“Best Sushi”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Most of us love the first sushi we had and all the other ones are not as good. This place is better than my first one.
This is the place I order in for my wedding anniversary and bring my business associate to. Thanks Frank!

Visited July 2013
Victoria, Canada
“Great food again - timing could have been better”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

It's not cheap. But that fact is costs a chuck of change is also reflected in EXCELLENT quality of all the dishes.

3rd time I've been there. Very good.

ALL the food was great.

New (redesigned) menu. They seem to have cut their extra frilly desserts - which is fine. You don't go to a good quality Japanese restaurant for the desserts. I did see on the menu that were offering a plum wine for dessert as well as about 4 or 5 types of ice cream. But, in the end was too full from dinner to try anything for that part of the menu.

There were four of us - we had at the table the following:
1 - Teriyaki Salmon Steak – grilled B.C. wild salmon served with vegetables
2 - Teriyaki New York Steak
both dishes were served with miso soup, green salad & rice – Serve on sizzling teppan (metal, oval to rectangle, plate/dish)
3 - Beef Teriyaki Box – thinly sliced beef with teriyaki sauce
served with green salad, rice & fruit
4 - Akemi Supreme Boat for 2
2 Miso Soup
2 Sunomono Salad - awesome, comes with REAL crab
20 Sashimi (snapper, red clam, two types of tuna, salmon, scallop, octopus and one I forget)
2 Sushi rolls
8 Nigri (one of each of the sashimi)
Assorted Tempura - 2 shrimp, 1 zucchini, 2 yam, 1 onion
5 - Caterpillar roll (tempura shrimp in a sushi roll with thin slices of ripe avocado over the top)

1 coffee, 1 green tea, 2 water

Bill was $136.

Food was VERY GOOD, but the salmon and the boat arrived and were nearly finished before the steak and beef dishes arrived - this was not good. Need some better planning there.

The miso soup was excellent - perfectly seasoned.

Sunomono Salad was also excellent - really great flavours.

Only complaint would be there timing of the dishes - that needs to be better. Good thing was that we were all sharing the boat, but that was not a 'planned' thing.

Tempura was very light - perfectly done.

No question I'll go back again... but it's still pricey.

• Visited May 2013