“Great food but terrible service”
Review of Belmiro's Restaurant and Lounge - CLOSED

Belmiro's Restaurant and Lounge
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Victoria's most anticipated new restaurant is now open in the Executive House Hotel.Just steps away from the inner harbor, across the street from the Victoria Conference Center, and close to everything downtown, Belmiro's is sure to be a favorite by locals and visitors alike. With a vibrant menu of fresh local influences, coupled with an extensive selection of wine and beverages, we're certain you'll quickly find a few favorites.Whether you're looking for the perfect dining spot for that special occasion, or simply want to slip into the lounge for a cocktail, we're committed to making your experience a memorable one.
Reviewed March 1, 2013

It was my first time to Belmiro's and I'm not sure if I'll return. I went with a group of ladies to take in the dine around menu. First impressions...Belmiro's has a confusing lay-out and there was no host or hostess to help you out. I walked into the entrance and to the left looked like some party going on with people standing around drinking and chatting and straight ahead was the seated area which actually was bigger than what you could see from the entrance. It would have been nice to have a host or hostess at the entrance to help direct me to my table. Instead I wandered around until I found my party. When it came to ordering it was quick and our first course arrived in a timely fashion but it went downhill from there. The second course took a little longer to arrive but still was not too much of a wait. The food was fantastic, however it appeared that after our main course that our waitress completely forgot that we were there. Dessert took 25 minutes to appear and the only reason it didn't take longer than that was because we had to stop a bus boy to ask about our dessert. It was completely ridiculous and there was no apology. When we were leaving the restaurant we saw our waitress socializing and drinking at the bar...maybe why she forgot about us?! Overall, great food but terrible service which completely deterred me from wanting to return. If you're going to Belmiro's you might want to go early...you might be there all day waiting for your food!

Once we were done our second course

5  Thank Letomax

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed a dine around menu on my own this evening. I started with the calamari which was very tasty and the matching gewurztraminer which was yummy and an excellent match. I then had prawn linguine which was also quite nice but I was not expecting it to be creamy so was very heavy, the prawns were also a bit over cooked but I did not mention it and I am sure they would have fixed it if I had. I was unable to have the suggested wine match as it is only sold by the bottle which was disappointing. The dulche de leche cheese cake was yummy to finish. I would have also had this wine match but didn't get a chance to order it. My server was clearly busy with other tables so maybe I missed put a bit because of that but otherwise service was good. I probably won't return bit it was an ok evening.

3  Thank Amba6
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I had dinner at Belmiros on the weekend at the recommendation of our hotel. We arrived and were greeted by a friendly and professional hostess. I found the diningroom itself quite bright with very warm pot lights. It is a very prettty room but lacks intimacy for a couple. The service was efficient, warm and also professional. It did seem as though there may not have been enough servers on as the servers that were there seemed overwhelmed not by lack of their training but by volume of table they were expected to servce. So hats off to them. We had a wonderful bottle of wine (great wine list), very good calimari, my husband had the prime rib special which he said was good and I had the filet mignon. Sadly, I had to return my filet as it had too much unpleasant tasting sauce (the entire plate was floating in it). Now I am not one who returns food unless it is truly not edible as was the case with my meal. The sauce on my very nice filet was kind of a dark burnt garlic sauce - almost a burnt teriaki sauce if you will. So my meal went back and by the time my husband had finished his meal mine returned replated, hot with new veggies and no sauce. The server was gracious and apologized but at the end of the day we were not able to enjoy our main course together with our bottle of wine. Kind of a drag. We decided after that not to order dessert but paid our bill and left. I tipped our server as it was not her fault. Despite the rave reviews and the earnest service I would not return to this restaurant.

3  Thank RomanVancouver
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Last week, we took my Mom in law to a beautiful Sunday dinner in Belmiro's dining room. My husband had the Sunday special Roast beef dinner with Yorkshire pudding. My mom in law had the seared tuna. She said it was the best she had ever been served in Victoria. The roast beef was tender prime rib, perfectly prepared. The service was outstanding. Our server was polite, discreet, and attentive. An outstanding Grey Goose Martini before dinner was exactly what you hope for! I think it, too, is the best I've had in this city. The seating is very comfortable. The decor uses alot of soft materials, so, it is not a hard surfaces-clattery-dining room, which seems trendy these days. If you want a downtown dining spot that serves fabulous food, beautifully plated, and makes you feel relaxed by offering an intimate boutique dining feel, try this Belmiro's. Well done, Blemiro's and welcome to Victoria!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Excellent service and quality of food. New York steak was well prepared with delicious sauce and scalloped potato dish.
Loved the Bread Pudding desert!

1  Thank KamGuy63