“Yum!!”
Review of Jam Cafe

Jam Cafe
Ranked #6 of 1,223 Restaurants in Victoria
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Newly opened breakfast and lunch restaurant in Victoria, B.C.
Reviewed March 7, 2013

What a great find. The food was sooo good and the service equaloing as good. Very friendly staff. We enjoyed the whole experience.
You gotta eat here folks should go here and try the Fried oatmeal with buleberry sauce. YIKES!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went to have breakfast here on Saturday, only 10 minute wait to be seated which was not bad considering the line up outside!
It's a hipster joint, so we were a little out of our league, age wise, yet laughed and enjoyed ourselves looking at old boat motor, stuffed armadillo and canoe paddle affixed to walls as decoration! Small venue and very noisy at times. We had a table of twenty something girls there for a girls morning out and they laughed iincessantly after their meal!!
We started off with mimosas...there is a lovely selection of morning alcoholic bevvies available.
Service was okay, a little lacking with refilling coffees at first but picked up when our wait staff realized we were in desperate need of caffeine!
I had the "Charlie's Bowl", similar to breakfast "hash" with potato hash browns, crumbled biscuit (oh my, they are delicious), ham, sausage gravy, two sunny side up eggs and fresh chopped green onions in a HUGE bowl. I had enough leftovers to bring home for breakfast the next day!
My meal mate had the "The Gravy Coupe" and breakfast version of chicken and biscuits. The only thing not good about this meal was the chicken. It was OVERCOOKED and stringy....a condition that the sausage gravy did not remedy. The large sized biscuit, sausage gravy and eggs were apparently delicious.
We added a "Little Piggy", a banger sausage dipped in pancake batter and deep fried, served with maple syrup. Again, it was overcooked and very dark in colour, yet the idea of this combo was appealing and it was one of the reasons we tried this cafe.
Open 8 am-3 pm daily including holidays with no reservations taken (hence the line up out the door.)
We may go back to try the lunch menu, but maybe not. I would go get the biscuits "take out" if I was able!!! Yes, they were THAT good!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This fun, funky restaurant was a great find. There menu is varied and oh so yummy. I had the Cracker Jack french toast (a nutella and banana sandwiched between think brioche french toast, I subbed the bananas for strawberries) and my boyfriend had the pulled pork pancakes. Even I liked them. The vibe was fun and hip with casual butattentive wait staff. They dont take reservations and we went on a sunday morning for brunch so we did have to wait a bit but it is so well worth the wait. They served coffee to those waiting and made sure we were seated as soon as possible. Our waitress said that if you want to avoid a line come mid morning on a week day. I cannot say enough good things about this place. A must go if you are in Victoria.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Going out for breakfast is one of my favourite things to do, but too many restaurants offer the same, uninspired menu. Not this place! Its menu was fresh, unique, and filled with tempting dishes I've not seen on offer anywhere else. I was hard pressed to make up my mind which I wanted to order because they all sounded so great! The decor is fun and funky, and the wait staff pleasant and helpful. Their French toast special on the day I visited was light and fluffy, and the strawberry sauce served with it was a revelation! I could have eaten a whole bowlful by itself! Their heritage sausage makes for a nice side; its very flavoursome. The only drawback on the weekends is the potential for a long wait, but I visited on a weekday morning and was seated immediately.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been to this restaurant twice in the last month, the first time was fantastic, the second time poor! On the first visit in early January, I had best huevos rancheros I've ever had, with crispy real tortillas, refried black beans, avocados, salsa, with two eggs on top and on the side cornbread and chorizo. It was perfectly balanced and delicious. The place was humming and cozy and the service was good. It cost me an arm and a leg to pay for four breakfasts though ($100)!
The second time I went, primetime Saturday morning, I ordered the huevos again, but was really disappointed. Maybe they had a different chef in the kitchen. There were way too many pasty mushy beans and not enough salsa to balance it out, one of my eggs was overcooked, and the other one must have broken as it was hard. The cornbread was mushy and undercooked inside. I couldn't finish the plate by a stretch although I was hungry. The service was good, but I was pretty surprised when we had to pay for two coffees - one for the coffee they offered us in line while we waited, and one that we ordered inside. I thought that was off side. I didn't complain as I was with my girlfriends and didn't want to make a fuss. I won't go back soon.

1  Thank mossvic