“Fresh and delightful!”

Jam Cafe
Ranked #1 of 90 Coffee & Tea in Victoria
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Newly opened breakfast and lunch restaurant in Victoria, B.C.
“Fresh and delightful!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Going out for breakfast is one of my favourite things to do, but too many restaurants offer the same, uninspired menu. Not this place! Its menu was fresh, unique, and filled with tempting dishes I've not seen on offer anywhere else. I was hard pressed to make up my mind which I wanted to order because they all sounded so great! The decor is fun and funky, and the wait staff pleasant and helpful. Their French toast special on the day I visited was light and fluffy, and the strawberry sauce served with it was a revelation! I could have eaten a whole bowlful by itself! Their heritage sausage makes for a nice side; its very flavoursome. The only drawback on the weekends is the potential for a long wait, but I visited on a weekday morning and was seated immediately.

• Visited December 2012

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
“Great place but inconsistent”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been to this restaurant twice in the last month, the first time was fantastic, the second time poor! On the first visit in early January, I had best huevos rancheros I've ever had, with crispy real tortillas, refried black beans, avocados, salsa, with two eggs on top and on the side cornbread and chorizo. It was perfectly balanced and delicious. The place was humming and cozy and the service was good. It cost me an arm and a leg to pay for four breakfasts though ($100)!
The second time I went, primetime Saturday morning, I ordered the huevos again, but was really disappointed. Maybe they had a different chef in the kitchen. There were way too many pasty mushy beans and not enough salsa to balance it out, one of my eggs was overcooked, and the other one must have broken as it was hard. The cornbread was mushy and undercooked inside. I couldn't finish the plate by a stretch although I was hungry. The service was good, but I was pretty surprised when we had to pay for two coffees - one for the coffee they offered us in line while we waited, and one that we ordered inside. I thought that was off side. I didn't complain as I was with my girlfriends and didn't want to make a fuss. I won't go back soon.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank mossvic
“Well worth a wait”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

There are restaurants/cafes that are good as long as there's not line, and then there are ones that are worth waiting for. Jam falls into the latter. We waited 20 minutes to get in for brunch (which can jade your response to the food) but were nothing but impressed.

The interior is kitschy/vintage hipsteresque. A little tight, but warm and homey feeling. Servers were friendly and attentive. If you are a coffee person, skip the drip and get an espresso based drink (despite using good beans the drip was disapointing, Ferris' does much better on that front).

I can't find the item I had on their website, but it was an oversized biscuit (baking powder biscuit) with sausage gravy, fried chicken, eggs on top with a side of hash browns. I ordered this despite having a horrible first experience with biscuits and gravy in the US. The chicken was to die for and the sausage gravy was actually tasty. If my taste buds weren't fooling me I am sure there was leeks in the "gravy" (I have a hard time calling sausage gravy, gravy.. maybe sausage béchamel?). Anyhow, it was surprisingly good and gives me renewed hope in trying it elsewhere.

The hash browns were excellent and well seasoned. My pet peeve is breakfast/brunch places serving under-cooked hash browns (probably about half the locations I've been in Victoria).

My wife's meal was excellent as well (the french toast special that day) and the rest of our party appeared to enjoy their meals. I'll be back to try more of the menu.

• Visited January 2013
Victoria, Canada
“A must-try for breakfast lovers!”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Ate at Jam Cafe last week with co-workers and i have to say that it has become my favorite breakfast place. They have a very innovative take on breakfast with really unique daily specials.
They also have the best (sugar-cured) bacon in town which is both salty and sweet.
It is a smaller restaurant which seems to fill up pretty quick so I recommend going early.
While they have all the usual favorites, I recommend trying one of there unique dishes:
The pan fried Oatmeal sounds boring but is the best Oatmeal you will ever have.
The Huevos Rancheros is very good.
The Charlie Bowl and Angry Bird are very heavy but equally good.

They also have some of the best hot sauce i have ever had.

Prices range from about $8.00 to $16 per person and the service is very good.
On the down side, this place closes at 3pm.

Keep up the good work Jam cafe!

• Visited December 2012
“Mouth-watering food!”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The food is awesome! Some interesting combinations for traditional food made it a real treat! The bennies are amazing! The staff are friendly and helpful and the service was good. It does fill up fast so be warned - it's a popular spot!

Visited November 2012