“Well worth a wait”

Jam Cafe
Ranked #1 of 90 Coffee & Tea in Victoria
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Newly opened breakfast and lunch restaurant in Victoria, B.C.
“Well worth a wait”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

There are restaurants/cafes that are good as long as there's not line, and then there are ones that are worth waiting for. Jam falls into the latter. We waited 20 minutes to get in for brunch (which can jade your response to the food) but were nothing but impressed.

The interior is kitschy/vintage hipsteresque. A little tight, but warm and homey feeling. Servers were friendly and attentive. If you are a coffee person, skip the drip and get an espresso based drink (despite using good beans the drip was disapointing, Ferris' does much better on that front).

I can't find the item I had on their website, but it was an oversized biscuit (baking powder biscuit) with sausage gravy, fried chicken, eggs on top with a side of hash browns. I ordered this despite having a horrible first experience with biscuits and gravy in the US. The chicken was to die for and the sausage gravy was actually tasty. If my taste buds weren't fooling me I am sure there was leeks in the "gravy" (I have a hard time calling sausage gravy, gravy.. maybe sausage béchamel?). Anyhow, it was surprisingly good and gives me renewed hope in trying it elsewhere.

The hash browns were excellent and well seasoned. My pet peeve is breakfast/brunch places serving under-cooked hash browns (probably about half the locations I've been in Victoria).

My wife's meal was excellent as well (the french toast special that day) and the rest of our party appeared to enjoy their meals. I'll be back to try more of the menu.

• Visited January 2013

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
“A must-try for breakfast lovers!”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Ate at Jam Cafe last week with co-workers and i have to say that it has become my favorite breakfast place. They have a very innovative take on breakfast with really unique daily specials.
They also have the best (sugar-cured) bacon in town which is both salty and sweet.
It is a smaller restaurant which seems to fill up pretty quick so I recommend going early.
While they have all the usual favorites, I recommend trying one of there unique dishes:
The pan fried Oatmeal sounds boring but is the best Oatmeal you will ever have.
The Huevos Rancheros is very good.
The Charlie Bowl and Angry Bird are very heavy but equally good.

They also have some of the best hot sauce i have ever had.

Prices range from about $8.00 to $16 per person and the service is very good.
On the down side, this place closes at 3pm.

Keep up the good work Jam cafe!

• Visited December 2012
“Mouth-watering food!”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The food is awesome! Some interesting combinations for traditional food made it a real treat! The bennies are amazing! The staff are friendly and helpful and the service was good. It does fill up fast so be warned - it's a popular spot!

Visited November 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Great Breakfast Place!”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

what a great place for breakfast in Victoria. Great funky decor; good service and fantastic food. You can tell it's great restaurant by the line outside. We went at opening time @ 8:00 on Sunday to avoid the line - by 9:00 am line was forming. Some unusual dishes - How about Red Velvet pancakes! I had green eggs and ham! - good size portions and very flavorful. There was spinach and goat cheese mixed in with my eggs. My wife had one of their eggs benedict choices. Would be good place for family as well as children would enjoy some of their choices.

• Visited November 2012
Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada
“First time taste experience!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

After a 5am flight arriving in to Victoria at 8:00 am we were hungry and desperately in need of coffee!

My brother had recently eaten there and sent me mouth watering pics that had me daydreaming the whole flight.

The place was PACKED at 9am. Always a good sign! We sat at the counter and the server was friendly and smiling and brought us excellent coffee immediately. We had breakfast appetizers (there was a FIRST!) of yummy donut holes and a cream cheese or sour cream dip. Husband ordered Pulled Pork Maple Pancakes, Brother and I had Chorizo Benedict. The portions are HUGE and the food was sooooo GOOD! Also - there was no noticeable wait on the food despite every table being filled and a line up at the door.

So overall Jam Cafe is too great a place to miss. Check it out!!

• Visited October 2012