“Food is consumed here: scrub the place - please!”

Brady's fish and Chips
Ranked #797 of 1,180 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Canadian, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Brady's is a family owned and operated restaurant, providing old style fish and chips, burgers, salads, and a wide variety of choices for lunch or dinner. The Brady's name has been operation since 1965, and was previously Burnside Fish & Chips since 1949. We still use the same batter recipe since 1949, with a nice fluffy texture, cooked golden brown. The halibut is cut fresh, usually off a 100 to 180 pound halibut. This is a skill in itself, but it adds to the fantastic, fresh tasting Halibut & chips , that customers keep coming back for. Brady's is a Licensed Family Restaurant, providing Take-out or Dine-in menus catered to all tastes.
Victoria, Canada
“Food is consumed here: scrub the place — please!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

On reading some of the reviews here I find myself scratching my head in bewilderment. What frustrates me is, if the critics here actually believe the glowing reports they are writing then it goes a long way to explaining why the standard of food, service and cleanliness in these smaller family style restaurants continues to be deplorable.

I’ve passed Brady’s Fish and Chip shop in Victoria for years and finally decided to visit yesterday. I expect it’s changed hands because, despite good reports in the past, our visit from the outset was unacceptable.

When I enter a restaurant, particularly one that is deserted at 5:00pm on a Saturday evening, I don’t expect to be greeted by two or three cluttered tables, spray-cleaner bottle on a table and a filthy dishrag used to “clean” off the tables on another. The floor is dirty and overall there is an atmosphere of stark 70’s decay about the place.

Two of us ordered two pieces of cod and chips, and two teas. The cost: a ridiculous $36.54.

Regardless of cost, the fish batter was overcooked, hard and crunchy. The cod itself was mush with the consistency reminiscent of Sea Urchin. The microwaved buns were doughy but the tea was fine and hot despite being delivered in a teapot with a hole on top? (Hot tea should be served in a teapot with a lid not a gaping hole where the lid should be.) The fries were crisp and acceptable (I was told they were "delivered" daily) but why the packaged Kraft tartar sauce? Can anyone tell me why so many fish restaurant owners can’t make their own delicious tangy tartar sauce and Cole slaw? It’s really quite simple. On a personal note our waitress said she likes Kraft tartar sauce.

If somebody scrubs this place, dumps the gaudy plastic furnishings, creates some atmosphere reminiscent of the old-style British fish and chip shops, rolls up their sleeves and gets cooking, this has possibilities. But sadly I sense the spirit has left.

This is Victoria after all, hanging on valiantly to what's left of its "British" image. Let’s not kill the goose that’s been laying the golden eggs for years. Daily it’s heading toward extinction. Calling this a Fish & Chip shop doesn't help.

Long story short I shall continue my quest to find a decent fish and chip shop in Victoria. They can’t all have disappeared…or could they? Somebody let me know if you find one. Thanks.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank ScottieMcFrugal

Victoria, Canada
“Good value, good fish and chips!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

As a native Victorian, I have been eating fish and chips since I was very young. Brady's is one of those local places that doesn't look much on the outside, but delivers the goods! The pieces of fish are of the large, flat piece variety, perfectly battered with a nice, deep-coloured batter, crisp fried. The chips are fine, not excellent, but better than some chippies produce. The coleslaw is not swimming in mayo, and NOT toooooo sweet!

I had to have them package up my second piece of fish, and it actually tasted good the next day, heated up in the little toaster oven.

Recommended!

• Visited July 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“The best fish and chips I've ever had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I've eaten at a lot of fish and chips restaurants over the years, but so far none have compared as well as my meals at this little gem located in the suburbs of Victoria, BC.

The halibut here is awesome. I'll usually get a few pieces of it and chips to go. The crispy batter is amazing and the fish is always cooked perfectly. They use real home made french fries here and you can taste the difference.

If you're in the area, I would whole heartedly recommend a visit to this place. It isn't flashy or exciting, but it still takes the crown for the best fish and chips I've ever had. The prices are also extremely reasonable for the quality of food that is served.

• Visited July 2012
“Great fish and chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

The other review on here and I must have been to different chippies because the chips and fish from Brady's are fantastic (and I mean that compared to Barb's - which is more of a tourist trap and Red Fish Blue Fish, which is great but always has huge queues and if expensive!!).

Anyway, back to Brady's - regularly on a Friday we'll pop down to Brady's and grab a double helping of chips for us and the kids and everyone loves them - real chips, not some pre-cut/packaged stuff; these look and taste like the real deal. I would agree that it doesn't look the cleanest and tidiest but don't let that put you off - the fish and chips are great!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank SteveH250
Vancouver Island, Canada
“the worst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We came her on the recommedation of a co-worker. He said this was the best fish and chips in town. Wow was he way off. obviously he has never been to red fish blue fish.
The decor looks like it was from the 1950's. Everything looked greasy.
The was one table that was clean with 2 other tables occupied. My knife was dirty. not a good start.
We ordered the cod and chips and the halopeno poppers.
Mine fish came with tartar sauce in packets. Who serves these anymore. I wasn't even going to try that. The fish was so thin that I wondered how they can cut it so thin. There was 3 times as much batter as fish. The oyster was runny inside. It was scary to eat and I was hoping I wouldn't get sick.
The popper was so bad they tasted like they were commercially made and refried in their oil. There was a sliver of a pepper in there not a whole one with cream cheese. There was no heat in it at all. A rip-off for $5.50. The coleslaw was dry on the top and wet in the bottom. They served it in a little ramikin. It was probably dished out in the morning so all the liquid settled to the bottom.
The only thing that was good was the fries. But that was not worth $33.00 for the 2 of us for the worst dinner Ihave ever had in a Victoria restaurant.

• Visited April 2013