“New spot for lunch!!!”

Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout
“New spot for lunch!!!”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We went there for lunch and racked up the bill for yummy sheep and gouda cheeses, baguette, rabbit and duck terrines and spicy spanish chorizo. So glad that we found this place, affordable lunch menu and you can tell they really pay attention to the quality and customer service. It is a small place so best to go early or after lunch time. They need a large sign in front of the store, just a bit tricky to find it. If you follow them on facebook, they will let you know the lunch menu for each day. Definitely will come back.

2 Thank justEatOk

Victoria, Canada
“Was I Not Actually in Paris?”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I can't tell you how many times I've walked by this unassuming shop front without paying more than passing attention to it, but last week decided that I would drop in for lunch. Oh, my Lord! Heaven, I'm in heaven! I ordered one of the specials -- pate en croute -- and took a seat at one of the miniscule and rickety tables in a corner by the freezer case. Soon I was greeted with a perfect-sized and perfectly-accompanied meal. I can't begin to describe the vinaigrette on the spinach salad, but I was so inspired I've been eating spinach all week since! While I ate, I had the opportunity to glance around the shop -- cheeses, meats, breads, French delicacies in the refrigerator and in the freezer case, prepared French tortes and casseroles. I suspect there were desserts that I just missed. By the time I had finished lunch I was more focused on the "Violette Moutarde" that was written up in the article posted near my table than I was on dessert or coffee, to be honest.

Clearly the clientele was made up of regulars. I'll become more regular now that I've had this experience -- I've promised my husband I'll take him in at the first opportunity. Service was quick and friendly. The meal was exceptional and inexpensive -- the jar of "Violette Moutarde," at $19, was more than twice the cost of a beautiful lunch. The atmosphere was just as relaxed, bright, and homey as one could ever ask for. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and was instantly transported back to Paris!

PS, the mustard is REALLY good!

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank SyrinxSounds
Victoria, Canada
“SSSSHHHHHHH!!! Dont tell too many people about this GEM”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We are here weekly and love this place. Part French Style deli and part fun cafe. Food served is what they butcher for the deli mainly and varies each day with a main (today was Steak Tartar with a wonderful salad and dressing to Cassoulet, Tortiere, Sausages and always a Chacueterie Charcuterie Board with homemade Pate's and Terraine's and wonderful soups. All served with local Fol Epi baguette. Doesn't seat many and they soon go though the quantity of 'main special' but can always come up with an alternate from their deli range. THEN .......you buy stuff from the deli and in my case usually too much!! Canalles, Pork Pies, Pate's, Sausages, Prime Pork cuts are a speciality using local Sloping Hill Farms supply. If I had to design the perfect little deli cafe there is no doubt this would be it. Look for the Blue Cow in the doorway.......Bon Appetit!!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Bob H
Vancouver, Canada
“The hidden gem of downtown Victoria”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We almost walked right past this place a couple of blocks off the tourist stroll. But as we walked in another customer said, "you made a good choice." And was he right! The staff are friendly, prices reasonable, and the atmosphere has you in France in vacation in seconds. But the food is where it's at: generous slice of quiche with perfect pastry and a big slice of pheasant & brandies apricot terrine put a big smile on our faces.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank GastownWanderer
Victoria, Canada
“Experienced Choux Choux sort of second hand”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

By second hand I mean that I had the joy of eating a whole host of different meats and cheeses that were provided by Choux Choux for a friends party instead of directly at the shop. The range of meats was amazing and the tastes were fantastic - I don't know how many different types of meats and pate's there were but I do know that my wife and I enjoyed everything we tasted. Pepper coated salami, incredibly thinly sliced hams - if you're in Victoria and love meats then Choux Choux is the place to try.

• Visited May 2013