“good atmosphere”

Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites
Tofino, Canada
“good atmosphere”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Very cool hostel with a cool laid back atmosphere. Price wise best place in Town. Super friendly staff and close to everything in Victoria. Definitely stay there instead of at HI, which is closer to the harbour but seems those big mens dorms are just unpersonal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review us online! It’s a pleasure to hear you enjoyed our atmosphere, our low prices, ideal location, and last but not least our friendly staff members. We’d love to see you again sometime if you find yourself visiting Victoria in the future. Safe and happy travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Vancouver
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I was moving to Victoria & decided to stay here for a month. It was within walking distance to my work in the downtown area.
First of all, I rented a private room which was a nice size with its own mini-fridge. The only thing they should supply is a few hangers. Living out of a suitcase sucks.
There were 5 bathrooms in my area & I only got to see three. I never had to wait for one & they were extremely clean. They had a laundry room in the basement. You can buy detergent at the front desk. $5.25 for wash, dry & soap.
I didn't try their cafe although their prices were reasonable. The kitchen was through the lounge. I didn't really like cutting through at night because there were people watching bands & drinking, but other than that, the kitchen was adequate.
One incident that happened was a man unlocked my door while I was in my room. Luckily, he turned around & left as soon as he saw me. I thought the front desk had just given my room key by mistake, but after voicing my concern the next morning, they decided to change the lock on my door. The person I talked to (Lana) was extremely apologetic. I enjoyed my stay there otherwise & I highly recommend staying there. Location is excellent!

• Stayed April 2014
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Hello there!

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We’re pleased to hear about the positive experience you had throughout your month long stay at Ocean Island, and that you highly recommend us to other travellers! We’re glad you enjoyed your private room with mini-fridge, as well as the cleanliness and availability of our washrooms. Additionally, we’re happy you took advantage of our laundry room and kitchen.

We offer you our sincerest apologies in regards to your room door being unlocked. We took this incident extremely seriously, which is why we changed the door lock immediately following the concerns you voiced to us. The security of our guests and staff is of the utmost importance to us, and we always take an immediate and proactive approach to any actual or potential breaches.

Our lounge can be quite active and lively in the evening, but we feel that our common kitchen and dining area offer ample facilities and space for those who prefer to a quieter dinner experience. As you mention, our cafe also offers very reasonably priced meals.

It’s a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your month spent at Ocean Island - we certainly enjoyed having you stay with us! We hope you drop in and visit sometime.
Safe and happy travels,
Ocean Island.
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We checked in fine, got to our room, it was a little small but nothing that we hadn’t been use to during our 7 month round the world trip. We settled ourselves in the room for a hour or so before heading out for some drinks and dinner. We had only been gone 3-4 hours max. When we returned to the room, there was a note on the door saying they had moved us rooms and to go collect our key at reception. We opened the room, and saw all our stuff had gone and someone else had moved in! We went to reception saying that we weren't happy that they had gone into our room and removed all our belongs (that we had unpacked including two ipads and a laptop) as it was an invasion of privacy.

The excuse we got was that we were checked into the wrong room (a room usually given to single occupancy not a double) and that we now had a better room. They said they had tried to contact us, but could’t so they just moved our stuff anyway. When we explained that anything could of gone missing, the reply was that they always do it in twos…that doesn’t matter, all that means is two people could have stolen our stuff rather than one! We asked to speak to the manager but were told that he had left already, they guy left a note and said that he would be back in the morning to speak with us.

We stayed three nights and never saw the manager. We looked up online about rights of hostel rooms and them going into our room without consent and touching our stuff and turns out, it’s illegal! What they should have done, was told the guy checking in that they had made a mess up with rooms and that they couldn't get hold of us so he would have to leave his stuff and come back later. But they don't want to deal with the problem at hand, so they broke the law, went into our room, and moved all our personal belongings without our permission. Also, not being funny, but at the time, we had a key to this guys room, bit trusting that WE weren’t going to take any of his stuff, plus we returned the key without locking his door (by mistake) so his stuff was venerable the whole time, but not our problem.

Our new room was incredibly hot, there was a fan but all that did was move the air a little it didn't cool us down, the heating was on full blast the whole time and there was no way of turning it down. We left the window open but you get no sleep as there are sea gulls nesting near by. There was also a celling window, which meant as soon as the sun was up, our room was incredibly bright and there was nothing we could do about it. None of the bathrooms ever seemed very clean, I read reviews saying they were…these people either have incredibly low standards of cleanliness or they were the travellers that cleaned to earn a free lunch and drink.

The kitchen was discussing, I would never want to prepare food in a room like that (which we didn’t). We always had to wait for a free bathroom in the morning, there was always a queue or you had to try about three different ones before your finally found one that was free.

When you check in you sign a form saying that you will keep noise to a minimum between 11.30pm and 8.00am. On our last night we went to bed around 10.30 as we had to be up at 3.50am for a flight. At 12.30 a girl not only decided she would take a shower in the bathroom next to our bedroom, but be a noisy about it as possible, such as slamming the door against the wall, knocking over her bottles in the shower, and then blow drying her hair!!! I couldn’t believe it, how rude and inconsiderate. The point I am getting at, is what is the point in the form? You can’t exactly go down three flights of stairs to reception at 12.30 a night to complain, neither can you really confront someone who is locked in a bathroom blow drying their hair! The form is pointless because reception have no idea what is going on on the floors above them as they are all contained and shut behind doors. Basically all the form is doing is making people aware that they need to be considerate of others, but surely when staying in a hostel this is common sense (or maybe not)…or why not put up a sign, as nothing gets done about it and people clearly forget.

Basically, this hostel goes on about how it is owned by someone who has travelled the world and knows how to run a good hostel that travellers want…well this must have been some time ago now, because we ARE travelling the world, and what we didn’t want was everything that this hostel is, run down, dirty, hot and noisy. The only two good things about this place was the location (although don’t go two blocks to the right or you end up in some homeless person street) and had good wifi. Would defiantly not recommend, would never stay again and we are looking into possibly reporting the whole moving of our belongings to the police or trading standards.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ocean I, Owner at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for writing us this detailed review, helping us correct a serious lapse in our operations. A recently hired staff member made a serious error when he moved your luggage to your new room, which is completely against our policy. We wholeheartedly apologize and are happy to offer you a full refund for your stay. Please contact us to arrange the refund.

A manager would have been more than happy to speak to you and resolve this situation during your stay. However, the new front desk person failed to notify the office about this situation. We would have much preferred to resolve the situation while you were staying with us and ensure that you had an enjoyable stay, unfortunately now all we can do is offer you a refund and our apologies. Due to your feedback, we will review the training and supervision of all of our summer front desk staff to make sure that incidents like this do not reoccur.

In regards to the other issues you brought up:

The heating is fully adjustable in all of our rooms. If you’re not sure how to adjust the heat, our staff can assist you. Due to your comments, we are adding signs next to each heater with operating instructions. We hope that our friendly front desk staff and the signs we have posted in every room encourage our guests to bring up any issues with us as soon as possible so that we can rectify them immediately. Our signs also include the phone number of our front desk so that guests can contact us without going to the reception desk. We also provide extra fans upon request which help to cool down the room.

As for the ceiling window, most of our guests are delighted with a skylight in their room so we are surprised to hear that you were not pleased with this extra feature. They are not directly above the bed and we have never had a complaint about them before, but considering your comments, we will look into installing a cover for them.
We put you in this room because you requested a quiet room, and our quietest rooms are on the top floor facing away from the street. Unfortunately, some noise from seagulls is unavoidable in Victoria during the summer. You could consider it part of the charm of being in a seaside town! We do have complimentary earplugs at the front desk.

Regarding the kitchen and bathrooms- there are six bathrooms on every floor, so if one is occupied, there should always be another one free on the same floor. Both our bathrooms and kitchens are cleaned three times every day. One messy guest can make a bathroom or kitchen appear less than clean until the next time it’s cleaned. However, due to your review we are checking that our housekeepers are consistently meeting our high standards of cleanliness. As you mention, Ocean Island consistently receives very positive reviews specifically about the cleanliness of our bathrooms.

Based on our experience, letting guests know about our quiet hours does help to keep the building quiet. We do this by including the quiet hours information on our check in forms, as well as on a sign in each room. Our front desk staff regularly walks through the building during the night to ensure it’s quiet, but they can’t be aware of all sound in the building at all times. Like all hotels, we rely on our guests to let us know of any excessive noise by coming to the front desk or calling from their room or the phones in the hallways. Our free earplugs are also helpful.

Ocean Island is in fact owned and operated by travelers, who use all of their collective travel experience to try to create a great experience for our guests. As far as we know, we don’t go on about this, but some of our guidebook and guest reviews do mention it. Regarding our facility being “run down”, as you didn't mention anything specifically, we’re not sure exactly what you’re referring to. However, we do have a full-time very experienced maintenance person who is continually working to ensure that our facility is maintained to a high level.

We’re pleased that your were happy with our central location and the free WiFi throughout our building. We feel that Ocean Island is among the best and most affordable places to stay in Victoria, but we will certainly take your comments into consideration as part of our efforts to uphold the highest standards and continually improve.

Happy travels.
Brisbane
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Clean rooms, super friendly staff and guests and a ton of activities all the time just a stone's throw away from Victoria's main street. Love the place and would definitely stay again next time I'm in town

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to write us a review! It’s great to hear you enjoyed our friendly staff, central location, and cafe/bar activities. We hope to see you next time you visit the beautiful city of Victoria!
Cheers,
Harstad, Norway
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The staff was always friendly and helpful. They provided me very good advice in a serious situation when I got sick, which was not caused by the hostel. When I was feeling better on the next day I received very good tips for activities in all price categories, especially also free or low price activities without own interests.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write us a great review! We’re happy to hear that you got some great advice from our staff when you were feeling unwell. Making sure our guests are safe and healthy is our top priority. We hope you still enjoyed your stay in Victoria despite feeling under the weather.
Cheers, and safe travels.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The location is great. Easy to walk to anywhere you want to go in downtown Victoria. I had my own room with shared bathroom. The bathrooms were always spotless.
The hostel has a great bar area to chat to other travellers and there's plenty of activities like bingo and trivia and a pub crawl to join.
Highly recommend Ocean Island inn!

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a great review on Tripadvisor! We’re always happy to hear when guests enjoyed their stay with us. It’s a pleasure to hear you appreciated our great location, clean bathrooms, unique ambiance, friendly staff, and our awesome bar and cafe events! The cafe events are a great place to meet other travelers and make friends and it seems like you took full advantage of that. Feel free to stop by for a quiz night or a pub crawl next time you’re in Victoria.
Cheers, and happy travels.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I originally booked 3 nights in a 4 bed female dorm, however the room was very small but had a surprising amount of storage space! It wasn't for me so moved into a private room with the help of very friendly & helpful staff.
Reccommend this as the price difference is not huge.
Rooms are very clean & tidy.
Great location, great staff, relaxed atmosphere at a good price.
Would reccommend.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to review us! We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff friendly and helpful! We have experienced people at our front desk 24/7 to assist in any room changes, and upgrades are usually available for only a few dollars more. We’re glad to hear our front desk helped you find the room that worked best for you!
Kind regards and safe travels,