“Exactly what you would expect”

Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites
Palm Desert, California
“Exactly what you would expect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

It's a backpacker's inn! Yes the rooms were small, but that's what the website states. The staff helpfulness and friendliness is almost random because people work there in order to work off their room.

I share an individual room and not a dorm, so I can not speak on those accommodations, but the small room was more pleasant than I expected. Considering a random backpacker cleaned it, it was nice and the decorations were a great touch.

It is a pretty busy place, so if you don't like people, get another place. I enjoyed the music most nights, but not a fan of the food. They do not have a special liscence in order to just sell beer so you have to buy food with it. Seems like a good deal but the food was the worst part about the place.

Overall a positive experience, but remember it is a hostel. Don't expect a five star resort.

Stayed July 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

I booked for only one night, thank god! The room was small and downstairs. It was noisy due to the musical act that was there, that played until about midnight. The staff were unfriendly and the place seemed understaffed. My room was supposed to be ready at 3:00pm, but I didn't get into it until 6:00pm. I would have left and booked somewhere else, but it was too late to find something else.
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
OceanIslandManager, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this review, December 15, 2008
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're glad you liked our location.

We do offer small rooms on our first floor. These are priced much lower than other rooms in our building and tend to be very popular for people traveling on a budget who might be out late. For people who would like the comfort of a larger and quieter room, we have 10 categories of room types of all sizes with different features, right up to hotel style rooms with private bathrooms and cable tv, while still at better than hotel rates. We do warn people booking smaller rooms on the first floor that we have larger and quieter rooms on higher floors, and there is also a notice posted in the room itself asking guests to see the front desk if this might be an issue. If excess noise, or any other issue is brought to our attention right away, we are almost always able to resolve the issue to to our guest's satisfaction.

However, we have also recently renovated our lounge and turned it into a café, so the musical acts and the customers are much quieter than previously. All acts do end at our posted quiet hours, starting from midnight.

We were shocked to hear some of the other comments in your review. We make great effort to see that rooms are cleaned and available at the standard check-in time of 3pm, so this oversight would have been a rare occurrence for us. We also pride ourselves on our excellent staff, the great feedback we get from guest questionnaires and the nominations we have received for hospitality awards. We apologize if you encountered any staff members who were not pleasant and helpful. As for being understaffed, we make great efforts to ensure that we are always sufficiently staffed, and we feel we are much more heavily staffed than most backpackers and hostels. Of course, especially in the summer, there can be unpredictable rushes of guests at the front desk which may lead to short waits.

We encourage anyone who has any comments or concerns about Ocean Island to contact us directly as soon as possible when the issue is occurring - we'd be more than happy to find resolutions to them.

Adam Bartosik
Manager
Ocean Island Backpacker's Inn
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2008

My middle-age friends who stayed in Vancouver and have been in Victoria many times were dumbfound when I told them that I have reserved 4 nights at the Ocean Island. They warned me against contagious diseases, drug addicts, criminal, burglars, man-eaters.... As a stuborn old man approaching his 50s, and stayed in too many 5-star hotels before, I thanked them for their concerns (and they really cared about me, sincerely and whole-heartedly. Lovely people...... and yet they have never stayed in Ocean Island before, nor any of their friends.)

Well, I enjoyed the warm sunlight diffused into my very small room in the chilly Victorian April plus a clean sheet and a clean room. I am not very social, maybe too much older than the normal Ocean Island dwellers, and so I could not feel the grove/kool etc.... Nvertheless, I have a very nice stay, private, peaceful, safe, and met some young ones. I strongly recommend anyone who heard something bad about that place to go and stay there!

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank file13
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

I had read mixed reviews about this hostel before I went but decided to take the risk and stay there and Im glad I did. Do not be put off by reviews saying you get free internet access for writing a good review about the hostel. This was not my experience. There is a computer with free access for people looking up travel information or wanting to write reviews but you are not able to check other internet on it like email.

The hostel itself is well located within walking distance of the Inner Harbour. There are a few homeless people hanging around the area but I never had any problems and I was a single female. I actually found a lot of homeless in Victoria overall. The hostel is right beside the famous Johns Place where you have to go for an amazing breakfast!!!! I had a private room (Small Dbl - Type 3 I think) and it was spacious and clean with a fridge and double bed. Asked for a quiet room in advance and got one on 4th floor. There is no lift. SEcurity is good. Bar downstairs open and noisy until 1am so beware if on 1st floor. But Id stay there again. Good hostel. Loads of nice people. Staff really friendly and helpful. Can even work there and earn dollars or work and earn free nights in dorm room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Area not that great but I found it safe
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
Humboldt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2007

Returned from Victoia, B.C. last week. What a great experience to have. Wonderful staff & helpful, friendly people. That is something you can't say about where we live. Loved the art work on the walls, maybe you can incorporate some art work onto the cupboards in the rooms or even the kitchen. This was our first experience staying in a hostel & felt a warm welcome while staying here. If we had anything negative to say it would only be that it could use a fresh coat of paint in all the rooms to give it a fresh clean look, don't forget to get those chairs in the lounge. We noticed that this had already been started. What a great place to stay at a reasonable rate. The band was awesome and that is also something you can't get when you stay at a motel.

Humboldt, CA / USA

• Liked — Friendly, Helpful Staff
  • Disliked — Could stand some new paint.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate C
vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2006

I stayed in a private room on one of the upper floors, and, while it had a lot of potential, overall it was dirty and infested with bed bugs. I did not mind the tiny size with quaint cupboards along one wall -- it could have been very cute. However, a dirty, unkept mattress was laid on the floor without any proper frame or setting, and, while I was given clean sheets, the blanket for the bed in the room was extremely dirty, smelly, and, as it turns out, infested with bed bugs. I was only visiting Victoria for a couple days to attend an event, and the bed bugs came home with me in my backpack, causing an infestation in my home. Bed bugs bite at night and multiply quite quickly -- having an infestation caused me physical and psychological turmoil, and I ended up having to buy a new mattress for my home plus having professionals clear my home of the infestation (which involved having to wash all clothing and linen items in hot water and storing them in sealed plastic bags until my place was clean). I will never stay at this hostel again.

• Liked — Its heritage potential and location in Victoria
  • Disliked — bed bug infestation
  • Tips/Secrets — learn about bed bugs before you travel
  • Stayed August 2004, traveled on business
5 Thank boleyna
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2006

What a place to stay, evrything was so clean and the staff were great.
A wounderfull place to come for one night and end up staying for longer with a great Bar and live music what ever you want out of a backpackers Ocean Island has it.

• Stayed June 2006