“Great staff. Nice clean rooms.”
Review of Arbutus Inn

Arbutus Inn
Ranked #37 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Duncan, Canada
“Great staff. Nice clean rooms.”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I came into town on Halloween and stayed at the Arbutus Inn. The hotel is well located, the staff are friendly, and the rooms are clean. I enjoyed my stay and I will definitely stay again next time I am in town.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank LauraHDuncan_Canada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Colorado
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

While our room was clean and the beds were comfortable, overall we were not too impressed. The desk clerk who checked us in wasn't just quiet, she wasn't even remotely friendly! In tried to ask some questions about the area and just got the feeling she had better things to do besides help me. Later that evening, I called the front desk to ask for more towels and was told she didn't have any, couldn't get any and I should call back in the morning when housekeeping was in. Really?! On the second evening, after spending the entire day out and about, we turned on our sink faucet only to get gurgling, spitting and then finally a reddish trickle of nasty looking water. We called the front desk and someone said they might have been working on the plumbing. Really, how come you don't know for sure? Checking out after our second night, I wanted to confirm that the damage deposit would be dropped from my card. (By the way, if I'd know this was such a cheap place they need security deposits to prevent damage, I would have looked elsewhere!). A third and new clerk who was also unfriendly! What is wrong with the place that they can't hire congenial employees?
Honestly, the price was great and the location was decent but I expect to have helpful people behind the counter, not churlish, grumpy people! So long story short, I'm not booking here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Audrey W
ArbutusInn, Manager at Arbutus Inn, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Audrey W.

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. First let me say how sorry we are that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel as the service your received is not the norm of what is provided to our guests. If you look at past reviews on TripAdvisor the staff is always praised of how friendly, helpful and congenial they are. We are always very eager to help our guests find things to do while visiting Victoria, from making whale watching reservations, golf bookings to Tea at the Empress.
If you would like you may contact me directly, the hotel manager, by calling the hotel and I will make your stay right. I and the rest of the staff certainly do not want anyone leaving the hotel unhappy with their stay. Again thank you for your comments.
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2012

A decent place to stay at with helpful staff members, especially the manager, Claudio.
The wireless internet connection was a bit of an issue as it decided to works sometimes and not others.... The lobby area is good but I noticed an old building smell as soon as I walked into my room. The place was pretty clean otherwise. The neighborhood is not the best part of town but is relatively safe. It is a 5 minute bus ride away from downtown and close to a shopping mall and restaurants. Bus stops are close by with good bus service.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are better
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Montgomery Village, MD
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are small but comfortable with coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator. Too far out of town to walk but only a 10 minute drive to the harbor. Right on Rt 1 so easy access to the north. Restaurants a short walk away. We were on the third floor which is one flight above the lobby. There are no elevators.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jackbirdmd
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed September 25, 2012

If you have plans to be on the road the whole day, then Arbutus Inn is is an ideal place to stay at. The inn is at a quiet spot and you can easily leave the city from that point. At night Arbutus will comfort you with a very good bed.
We preferred taking the bus to Downtown and leave the car at the parking lot. The busstop is just a 2 minutes walk away. We also walked to the mall and the restaurants nearby.
Parking is free. A car rental office is on-site! We will not forget: the desk clerk was very helpful with any questions.

Room Tip: If you hate climbing stairs, please ask for a room on the same level as the lobby.
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed for 3 days during a visit to Victoria. While it is true that it is beyond downtown, it is less than 10 minutes due north on Douglas St. so if you are driving it is pretty handy. Since we were taking day trips into the wilderness areas north of the city it was perfect for us. I would say avoid the slightly cheaper lower floors (that some reviewers have complained about). Our room was on the same level as the lobby and only 5 doors down from same -- it was quiet, clean, spacious and nicely equipped. Luxe bed and nice linens. We were able to open the window for ventilation and were very comfortable there. Having the mini-fridge and coffee maker was a plus. Only drawback was the TV is horribly low in the cabinet so it was nearly impossible to watch from the bed. We removed a drawer from the nightstand, flipped it over and slid it under the TV (a lightweight flat screen) to boost it up and that helped. The ABC chain restaurant across the street was decent and budget friendly when we were too tired to bother with a nicer place in town. There is a mall just a short drive down the side street which was handy when we needed to go to a drop-in clinic. We did, since I fell hiking and broke my arm the second day of our vacation -- heads up to US visitors: despite the propaganda you may have heard, the Canadian healthcare system is prompt, efficient humane and inexpensive -- I paid $216 for a doctor exam and a full set of x-rays and was on my way in under 45 minutes.

Back to the Arbutus: the desk clerks were very helpful with any questions and we had a nice stay. I would definitely stay there again when I go back to Victoria (which I plan to do regularly -- one of the nicest cities I have ever visited.)

Room Tip: Request a room on the level with the lobby -- the 200 series (we were in 210 which was perfect, good...
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I will start with the positives. The room was very clean, the beds were dreamy comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful. Unfortunately that's where the positives end. We had a room on the lower floor what I did not realize was lower floor meant basement. At first I thought great it will be cooler since it was quite warm during our stay. I could not have been more wrong. It was so hot it was very uncomfortable. I tried turning the air conditioner to fan only but the unit was noisy. We slept with the window open which was not comfortable since the window was ground level and anyone could have come in from the parking lot. The taps in the shower are not only backward but do not function the water temp went from VERY HOT to HOT and when I tried to brush my teeth all I could get out of the cold tap was warm, they really need a plumber.
When House keeping came during the day they opened the curtain and left the window unlocked. That left a view of the Flat Screen TV and my lap top open to anyone passing by, and easy access. The next day we decided that we did not need any house keeping so we left the do not disturb notice on our door and headed out for a day of visiting and sightseeing. Upon our arrival back arms full and exhausted we found our keys would not open the door. They were very nice about reprogramming the cards but no one could answer why they had been "cancelled". We both found this extremely inconvienient. This happened twice during our 6 day stay (very annoying).
I am not sure if staying on the first or second floors would have been better, or not but I know I will not be back.

Room Tip: Do not get a lower floor room.
2 Thank Ryckpen L