“Very nice”

GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel recently. I booked it through Hotwire, and thus did not know "what I got" until after the transaction was completed. I must say it was a very pleasant surprise! I expected a room in a decent hotel, and ended up with a one-bedroom suite (it s a time-share place). My suite was modern, clean and nicly appointed with a good sized fridge and freezer in the kitchenette, which also had a microwave, and a small cooktop. The bed was very comfy and the bathroom had heated floors :)

There were amenities available at Parkside which I did not use so cannot comment on - gym, theatre, hot tub, etc. The building itself is "green", which is impressive, and it has a lovely atrium.

I only stayed one night, but service was efficient and friendly at check-in and check-out. Secure underground parking is available at an additional charge.

I noticed that some posters complained about noise...you *are staying right downtown* in Victoria, and there is going to be the noise you can expect to hear in a city! You are just minutes' walk from restaurants and Victoria's Downtown and Inner Harbour.

I would give it a full five points, but there were two very minor issues, which are easy fixes. When I stay in a good hotel, I assume that in addition to soap, the other little extras will also be provided - shampoo, shower cap, etc. there was only soap. Expecting "the usual", I did not bring my own stuff. Also, the shower knob on the bathtub faucet did not work. I don't mind baths personally but I expect both options to be available, and I am sure this would have made other folks unhappy.

Overall, my stay was great and I would certainly stay there again. It was great to get out and walk all over Victoria's beautiul downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

We spent three nights in a two bedroom suite and would return and recommend this hotel. Check in was not friendly nor helpful - no greeting when I reached the front desk despite three staff and only myself at the counter. My greeting of hello was met with a cold response of "I'm busy right now." Further dealings with staff went well but the first impression had already been made.

Rooms were large and very clean with a full kitchen which helped with meals for the two grand kids. Street noise was bothersome with buses and a busy corner right out the window. Maybe an inside room would be quieter - that said, you are right downtown and that comes with noise.

The Royal Museum, the Bug zoo and the harbour are all within a 10 to 15 walk. Lots of restaurants in the area and a 7-11 just around the corner. We had a car rental and grocery stores were a few minutes drive as was fishermans wharf. Beacon Hill park is a few minutes away with great walking areas, a nice playground for the kids and a petting zoo. The hotel has a nice pool, a nice little cafe attached, a movie theater where we were the only family and got to pick the movie - grand kids thought this was amazing.

A great room, nice amenities, great location .... Worth every dollar.

Room Tip: Try an inside room to avoid street noise unless you really want the balcony to the street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Malone2
Seattle Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here with 6 other female friends for 2 nights in early May. This hotel is beautiful! The room was very, very clean with a small kitchen with everything we could need for a weekend get away. The only thing we didn't like was in the one suite (we had 2 adjoining rooms) the bathroom off the bedroom had no door, however there was 2 baths in that unit. The lobby was beautiful with a peaceful water feature. One evening we went and watched a movie in the "theater" which was a fun way to spend the evening after visiting Buchart Gardens earlier in the day. A comfortable waking distance to the harbor. The first night we wanted to watch a movie a friend had brought only to find out that the only DVD player was in the bedroom. The "handyman" did come and put one in the living area...but it took him a while to figure out attachments and had to put the DVD player on a chair. It is a beautiful place and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

5 stars for what we need during our 2 nights stay (deluxe one bedroom)
- good size fridge to keep our food
- all the kitchen necessities we need for cooking - a blender, tea kettle, toaster
- large size fitness room and pool with hot tub
- location ( walking distance to the harbour)
- well lit and secured underground parking garage.
- arrived @ 3:30 PM, they gladly check
3 stars for:
- the room temp was always warm even with windows open
- no A/C. So, I wouldn't suggest this hotel during summertime
- noise level. Pick a room not on the street side if street noise bothers you.
- very expensive parking fee ($18)

Room Tip: pick a room away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in 1 bedroom unit with full kitchen and 2 baths.Lots of space and very clean and quiet. Nice large fitness room with lots of weights and machines. Large pool with hot tub. Front desk staff was helpful. Would stay again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was the worst hotel stay of my life! The hotel has great potential but customer service is awful. Our suite was missing the washer and dryer and had Broken tiles and after we told front staff about it the front end supervisor told us we could pay to upgrade to something else. The problem could have easily been solved but it was the way we were treated, like we were just a hassle. We wrote an email to management and after a week received an email just saying she looked it the situation and she wanted me to see it from the hotels point of view. Last time I checked it was usually customers point of view that mattered. Cleanliness was a big issue in this hotel the rooms are not cleaned well and dont smell fresh, and if there are any parties dont plan on sleeping because the walls are really thin and you hear everything. I could write a novel on all the things that was wrong with this place.I didn't feel like dealing with this company anymore and just agreed to disagree but would not let my dog stay at this hotel!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Lmccbrand
Saskatoon, Sk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We arrived the Hotel past Midnight April 3th 2013, due to a delay by our Airline. Our experience was horrible and very unpleasant. from the start. We booked preferred view and paid for it in advance. We were given a wrong room, not the room we booked. I had booked a preferred view, and phoned in 2 weeks earlier to remind the Hotel.

The reception informed us the room allocated was what he gave us and the mistake will be rectified, he was very polite but we had no choice. In the morning, we went for late breakfast in Victoria and came back to see out things being moved......our privacy was violated. No one packs and moves your bags from your Hotel room without your consent....they broke the law.

We were informed to stay in the hallway with our belongings on the bell till the new room is cleaned. In addition, they have to clean the room we slept, hence our things were moved to the hallway. We felt disrespected, violated and very embarassed. It was really awful.

Since they packed our belongings, we had to go back to the room 3 times to pick items they forgot when packing our bags. I was gravely disappointed at the quality of service we received. I was very disappointed and gravely embarrassed at the quality of service we received from the start. We have stayed in hotels and resorts all over the world.

We never received any apology for their mistake, we booked April 2rd to April 9...8 nights, no apology, no mistakes acknowledged. I surprised. I mentioned when I went to settle our bills the last night that I was not very happy with thir quality of service and I do reviews. It was then I got a call for a quasi-apology. Not genuine, just because I mentioned review.

Your room is never given out to someone else, if you don't show and don't cancel, the fee for one night is deducted automatically. Parkside Victoria resort and Spa DID NOT honor their end of the contract. My family - wife and Children were very embarassed, it was a VERY bad experience.

The hotel did not make anything up to us, no compensation, no apology, no kind words. I WILL NOT recommend this hotel for their quality of service. We were not respected, we did not receive good service, they have the amenities, good rooms and building and location. It was a nightmare for us, we did not feel welcomed AT ALL. Our privacy was violated, we were disrespected. Customer service in my rating is ZERO or MINUS 1.

NB: Please get in touch with me if you need more information.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

8 Thank Dr. Niyi O