“Needs to remember the basics” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Parkside Hotel & Spa
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersGold level
Prince George, Canada
“Needs to remember the basics”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Lots of things about this hotel that I loved - the atrium, rooftop garden, and movie theatre included. But customer service was not up to par and there were a few "odd" features about our suite. We reserved a 2 bedroom suite when my sister and I took my mom to Victoria for 2 days and a night of browsing shops etc to celebrate her 80th birthday. The website says the 2 bedroom suites have king size beds. That's not true - only one of the rooms does. We found this problematic, as my sister and I have difficulty sleeping in the same bed and definitely wanted a king. When we called the front desk we were advised that it was our fault because we hadn't specifically requested two kings. Why we would specify something that was listed as standard on the website is beyond me. We were told there were no suites with 2 kings available. It was only after complaining first on the phone then in person at the front desk that they offered us a voucher for breakfast to make up for the inconvenience. I appreciated that but the initial response still irks me.
When you arrive at the hotel, there is absolutely no place to put your vehicle without blocking the underground parking. You can't get into the underground without checking in. The design of this area is very poor - my sister had to keep circling the block while I attempted to check in.
The suite itself is lovely with the exception of the fact that only one of the 2 bathrooms had a shower, and one of the bathrooms had no door. This means you have to keep the drapes closed in the bedroom, and if you're sharing with someone, you have to kick him/her out of the bedroom to have some privacy in the bathroom. Not good. The door to our bedroom squeaked and didn't close easily, so I woke my sister up when I tried to sneak out in the morning. The shower stall has no shelf to put shampoo, a razor or other items on, and there are no hooks in either of the bathrooms for your clothes or pj's or even to hang your bathing suit. It seems like they were so excited about the movie theatre they forgot about bathroom doors and shelves.
I really liked the cafe - had the chicken and eggs for breakfast and my sister had the beans and eggs - both delicious - if you're on a low carb or slow carb diet, this cafe is an excellent choice and still has all the usual baked goods available.
The swimming pool is great for swimming lengths - it is narrow and long. Perfect for me, but a family with children may not enjoy it as much. The pool was too cold for my mother. The hot-tub needed more water and more jets.
If I was going to stay in Victoria for a week and was traveling on my own, I'd definitely stay here again. I wouldn't stay here again and attempt to share a room with someone, the bathroom thing was just too weird. The toilet isn't even tucked around a corner, it's just right there.

Room Tip: Specify the bed size you want and ask if the bathroom has a door
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank ZNorth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Korean first
Bonnyville, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

arriving with 3 children ...no room ....we had booked a superior suite. They insinuated we used expedia & that was why no room was available. The cost of this suite is considerable , so you think you would be treated well. NO WAY!!! We had to wait in a room as they spoke to some "superior in the sky". We were given the "Show suite" and told this was the only thing left & that they were giving us a great deal. Contrary ...it was not. We paid for additional breakfast which was the same. No one ate the bran cereal or other items & when we suggested substitutes...none are available & when we asked for no breakfast & remove it from our bill...They said impossible..therefore-DO NOT PAY FOR ADDITIONAL BREAKFAST-save your money & use a nearby cafe!!!! NO AIRCONDITIONING & NOISY VERY EARLY. Really disappointed that no one cared to rectify any of the problems. NOT MEANT FOR HOTEL STAYS!!!

Room Tip: only utilize in cool temps otherwise, too hot & too noisy
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank holiday670325
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed here while in Victoria, B.C having arrived on a ferry via Anacortes, WA (just north of Seattle) to Sidney, B.C. (about 25 miles north of Victoria). As always, my wife found this. There are so many places to stay in Victoria including BBs, historical hotels (Empress), and many new constructions like this one.

This is a LEED platinum property. It shows it throughout. Super modern living, all with a flair towards energy conservation. If you're into LEED (for professional, or perhaps your own home), this hotel is a course-in-living. They give near daily tours of the facility, explaining all the LEED aspects from bathroom floors you program to heat up in the morning and evening, placement of windows to promote natural convection, a pool that is "oxygenated" to eliminate chlorine, and everything earth-friendly (no VOCs used in anything).

I was a bit paranoid about the LEED thing. I was thinking "cold showers", dark interiors, and everything small. Quite the opposite. The automation in this place works. The showers were hot, rooms bright, comfortable, and spacious.

The place sells condominiums for all-year living, is part of the RCI for vacation exchanges, and has hotel rooms for short stays. We stayed in a 1-bedroom, with 2 baths, a full kitchen, dining, living room, and balcony. Be sure to avail of the "government discount". I brought my US ID badge (which says Dept of Energy)on it and we saved about 50$/night for a nightly rate of around $150 which was a ridiculously low price for a place like this.

The kitchen appliances were as best as I've seen. Radiant, ceramic stove tops, stainless appliances, microwave, coffee maker with really good coffee. Even the sugar, creamer, and tea (tea is big here). Bathroom amenities were Aveda, i.e., top-notch also. One very large, LCD TV in the living room; one smaller one in the bedroom. No in-room safes. Also, in room washer/dryer/dishwasher/dishwashing soap. No laundry soap though. Also, check with the staff on how to use the combo washer/dryer. Cleans well but dry-cycle is terrible. There is a very nice, well-lite, basement for parking at ~$9/day with security code and elevators, not that you need it. The area looks about as crime-free as being at Walt-Disney.

I loved the heated bathroom floors. This was real luxury. The pool and gym were also as best I've seen. One of the pictures below shows the pool area, the gym is 1-floor up via the spiral staircase. Excellent equipment. I worked out each day I was here, solely for the gym, it's equipment, the locker/spa area, and pool. You could spend your whole time at the resort (with the exception of food) and have a great time. I forgot to mention: they have a real movie theater with comfy seats and a widescreen playing movies at 7 and 9 PM each night. My wife and I made popcorn and went down to watch 3 movies on 3 nights in our sweats just because it was so cool to do this while "traveling".

The ONLY problem was the lack of an onsite restaurant other than a small bistro. The latter is open early (7AM) and stays open till I think 9-10 PM. Good for coffee/tea/lattes/sandwhiches/fruits/booze. Not really for dinner, though it does in a pinch. No room-service. Not a problem. Restaurants within 2 blks are plentiful.

This place is about 2 blocks from the inner harbour which is the MAIN tourist area. Great restaurants (salmon, oysters, crab are specialties). DO NOT FORGET Barb's Fish & Chips. Walk to the harbour. Take a harbor taxi (a small boat) to a place called Fisherman's Wharf, and have your salmon, halibut, flounder, etc deep-fried (yuk), grilled (yes!) with the best chowder in the area. We also used take-out, brought it back to the resort, and had dinner in their outdoor, on-the-roof, garden terrace.

Victoria is the place most would like to retire to, but it's too expensive for us I'm afraid. I figure the cost-of-living is about 1.5 times what it is here in Denver (a good 1-bedroom is going for about 300-400K; the tour bus driver said this was closer to 500K!). Beautiful parks, coastal areas, neighborhoods, gardens, coastal areas (again).

Some things we did on this trip: Butchart Gardens for half-a-day (a must), a miniatures museum (in the Empress), afternoon tea at the Empress (dress nice), feeding seals at the marinas, sleeping in the park at Beacon Hill, driving up the coast (very friendly auto access; rent in Seattle, ride the ferries to and from Victoria), going on a "ghost-walk", visiting Chinatown, taking the "hop-on hop-off" bus tour (not necessary at the price their asking), going to Craigdarroch Castle to see how the robber barons lived, and like I said earlier, working off all the calories in the gym.

Room Tip: Street traffice (buses, cars) are kind of high here and it continues very late (i think buses run al...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheZipMeister
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

Mostly a great place due to accommodations: beautiful rooms, amazing furniture, including beds. Our issues were: laundry machine & staff.
We stayed a full week so we used the laundry machine-CAUTION it ruined some clothes. Thankfully it was my husbands undershirts and not our shirts and pants. It turned them a odd yellow color. When I called the front desk, I was asked if I had washed anything brightly colored with the white shirts in hot water? Of course i had not. Then i asked if i had read the directions? Believe it or not I had read the huge confusing directions. The attitude was very much: you must have done something to cause this. I decided to call back and I got the same young lady at the front desk who then went on to say they have a "grave yard" of the machines in the basement and they can't get parts because they're made in Europe. ?????

Now I'm upset, so I ask for the manager. I proceeded to tell the manager the above story for which she was reluctant to say her staff could have handled things better. I asked if there was anyway we could get a few things laundered and she said yes, if I could bring the clothes to front desk. So I did: now I assumed those things would be sent out and laundered-no they were sent to housekeeping to do. So a few hours later we get our clothes laundered-still somewhat damp, laying on a pile quite wrinkled. When I asked for compensation for my husbands shirts she said there would be. We did receive a $50.00 gift card for the cafe downstairs-however we were leaving the next morning and could only use a portion of it.

This is a gorgeous hotel- we loved the room. I didn't expect staff to make a huge fuss, but geez we didnt get an I'm sorry or the gracious attitude one expects at a hotel of this stature.

One more thing: I would highly advise avoiding this place during warm weather. It's warm when it's 65 degrees.

• Stayed July 2011
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Nassau
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

There were 8 of us wanting to rent in Victoria in a location close to the city centre and with a feeling of luxury that we enjoyed. We also wanted this to include 2 - 2 bedroom condos with kitchen and 2 bathrooms. I found this resort and have to say that it completely satisfied all of us and our wants and needs. Even though this was our last stay in Canada for 4 nights and we all had laundry that we wanted to do, we discovered the washer/dryer was not useable, the resort, took our laundry and washed and pressed it and returned it within 24 hours. WOW we were all impressed. From the beds, the decorating, the bathrooms, the kitchens and the amazing service, I would say this resort is a 5 star resort at a lower price. The staff were wonderfully accommodating and friendly and helped us with everything we needed and wanted. I would not hesitate to stay here again and in fact, am planning another vacation at that resort within the next year. Thank you Parkside Resort and Spa for fulfilling our wishes and expectations.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights - Sept 2 and 3. I have to agree with many of the other postings. Being a very light sleeper at time of reservation I requested a room away from traffic noise. The room assigned was on the corner of two very busy streets. Obviously no effort was made to fullfill my request. Lots of traffic and bus noise and early morning gabage trucks. I phoned front desk to request a room change. Was told the hotel was full that night. So I ask "what about tomorrow". The front desk clerkput seemed put off by the request says, "we can't tell, call us in the morning". Terrible attitude and service. If a hotel cannot accommodate my request for a quiet room and especially if they, as this hotel's staff did, seem offended by my request, I will never stay there again.

We stayed in a one bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms. One bathroom without doors. As commented by others, this is just weird. Who wants to sit on the throne in full view of others. So we used the other bathroom by the kitchen.

On the positive side, the pool and hot tub are very nice. The room was nice. And as others have commented the cafe downstairs is very good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank garyr59
West Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

This hotel's reservation system is appalling. I reserved a room at 10 p.m. directly through the hotel at a matched expedia rate. At 9:00 a.m. the next morning I still had not received an email confirmation despite being told I would. I went on line to get the hotel's phone number again and noticed that the price for the type of room I reserved had dropeed overnight by $18. I called to see if they would alter my rate and the reservation clerk said she could but then after playing around in the reservation system, she not only couldn't rebook under the new reduced rate, but she also lost my original booking which specified a certain (quiter) building and . She also told me that if I wanted to stay the extra night which I had originally had set aside (I was told I would have the option of staying a second night if I wanted), I would now have to switch rooms! So in my attempt to get the better rate that was offered less than 24 hours after my booking I got completely screwed. I don't care what experience I have once I get there, which I am now very doubtful will be very positive, I will never stay at this hotel again. Most decent hotels honor expedia rates or atleast warn the guest that they risk loosing their original booking if they try and alter it. The girl should also have known ahead of time whether she could or couldn't change the rate! It was just unacceptable p.r. service.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jazzywhiskers
aviawest_management, Manager at The Parkside Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
We apologize for the confusion in your reservations process. Much like fares in the airline industry, hotel rates fluctuate based on demand. We can make the necessary adjustments to ensure that you do not have to change suites after your first night. Please contact Guest Services Leader Andrea Farkas at 250.940.1200 Ext. 8411.