“Fairholme was Exceptional in Every Way”
Review of Fairholme Manor

Fairholme Manor
Ranked #5 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Midhurst, Ontario
Reviewed March 8, 2005

Fairholme Manor was recommended to us by some friends who stayed there many times before and I am most thank-ful to them. My husband and I stayed at Fairholme Manor for 5 glorious nights. After a long flight we arrived late in the evening and were welcomed with a beautifully lit front porch and our keys and a note from our hostess. The room was even more spectacular than the web site pictures ( if you can believe it). Gorgeously decorated, very spacious, impeccably clean and comfortable ( with fresh flowers, potted orchids too). When we looked out of the window in the morning we could see the snow covered mountains and water in the far distance. This view was upstaged by the lovely garden surrounding the Manor. Fairholme is perfectly situated near Government House and in a very impressive neighbourhood, with expansive historic homes and fabulous gardens. Our hostess greeted us every morning and late afternoon (evenings also) and answered all of our questions and made any reservations we required. She had a wealth of knowledge about all the sights and outings within walking distance and beyond. Delicious fresh breakfasts were served in a very soothing and cheery breakfast room. For a couple of mornings we were leaving early on our adventures and our hostess provided continental breakfasts in our room refridgerator so we could get on our way. We will be returning again and again.

J. and C. Tebbutt from Midhurst, Ontario, Canada

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed February 16, 2005

We had the pleasure to stay in the Penthous suite at the Fairholme Manor and it was truly a pleasure. The furniture and linen were gorgeous and surprisingly, this 19th century Italianate ancient mansion is spotless from the inside to the outside! I cannot describe how immaculately clean this place is. Our room looks out to the garden and the sea and together with the pleasant Victorian weather, our stay at the Fairholme was very enjoyable. I also took the opinion of the previous comment writers and asked the innkeeper, Sylvia, for recommendations on restaurants and attractions to visit. And without a doubt her recommendations were excellent and made our visit to Victoria so wonderful and romantic. Sylvia is a passionate and easy-going innkeeper and she thrives to do her best for guests at the Fairholme. Once you enter this glorious mansion, you can tell how much thought and effort was put into this beautiful b & b.

• Stayed: February 2005
7  Thank maggiekk
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 21, 2004

I love every aspect of Fairholme Manor! In fact, we love it so much we decided to get married there two years ago and just returned from celebrating our anniversary at Fairholme. The setting is extraordinarily romantic, and the gardens are stunning. We have visited Victoria several times and have stayed in almost every room at Fairholme. The rooms are spacious and decorated exquisitely…some with glorious views of the pacific. Sylvia Main, the proprietor, has exceptional taste and her attention to detail is impeccable. There are always fresh flowers and candles in every room, and Sylvia even remembers my favorite flowers and colors. The staff prepare a gourmet breakfast every morning and even the presentation of the food is divine. I travel frequently, and now, my standard for every place I stay is Fairholme Manor, and believe me, it is not easy to find a place as wonderful as this. I highly recommend it.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 12, 2004

This is one fabulous B&B. The innkeeper, Sylvia Main, is fastidious in her attention to detail. The rooms are spacious, fresh, simply but impeccably decorated (no Teddy bears), many with water views, and always set off with an imaginative fresh floral arrangement. Government House with its magnificent gardens is right next door - a perfect venue for a morning stroll before the lavish breakfast served in the cheerful downstairs dining room. A recent breakfast included granola, a fresh fruit platter, yogurt, freshly baked scones, juice, Eggs Neptune with the most delicious smoked salmon I have ever had, and of course coffee. Plus, the innkeeper always remembers that I like warm milk with my coffee so it magically appears on the table each time. The inn itself also has an impeccably maintained garden available for guests to enjoy. I have stayed here many times as Victoria is a favorite destination and Fairholme is my lodging of choice, so can attest to the consistency of these high standards. This inn is a real find!

3  Thank WanderingP
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed September 9, 2004

My wife and I have stayed at the Fairholme Manor several times over the years, and have had the pleasure of staying in most of the rooms there. Quite simply, this is the best B&B in Victoria, BC, and a must for any discriminating traveler. The rooms are large, the furnishings and bedding first rate, and the breakfasts divine. Who could ask for more?

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 28, 2004

We've more than enjoyed our stay here. The Penthouse Suite is the nicest room we've ever stayed in, from the fabulous view, spacious surroundings, lovely decor and deck. The beautiful flowers added the final touch.
We really appreciate your cheerfulness & hospitality. We've loved all of your suggestions for activities and ways to experience your great city. We have had a wonderful time in Victoria and we are sorry we only had 2 nights to stay here. The breakfasts were absolutely delicious. The fresh fruits were great and so were the Eggs Benedict & the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes!
In additon the setting was perfect ! There is no better place to stay!!

4  Thank sansanas
Reviewed August 1, 2004

First, the room that we stayed in (and rooms that we saw) were quite nice. (We had the "penthouse", which had a full kitchen and more space than we could use.)

However, breakfast was a disappointment. We knew it was a bad sign when we sat down that the orange juice was from concentrate. It went downhill from there.

Especially given the price (275 canadian, I believe), we were not wowed by this place, especially given our expectations from the web site and other reviews.

For this amount of money, I would have rather paid $100 more and stayed somewhere like Sooke or $100-200 less and been equally satisfied at another B&B.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member