“A Magical Birthday”

Ranked #6 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Newport Beach
“A Magical Birthday”
Reviewed December 9, 2008

The Manor lived up to our expectation in every possible way. Sitting quietly off the road, nestled gently next to Government House in a beautiful, elegant residential neighborhood. Our suite (ground floor) was large, elegant and filled with thoughtful touches that made our stay incredibly wonderful. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating. The breakfasts are fabulous.

• Liked — the beautiful room, the setting and the lovely staff
  • Disliked — hairdryer was weak
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Trail, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2008

The Rose Garden Suite met our needs well. My husband and I were travelling with our adult daughter and visiting our son who lives in Victoria. The suite featured a well-equipped kitchen (bar-size fridge only though) and a dining nook. Complimentary beverages were provided in the kitchen. The second bedroom is smaller and you must walk through it to access the bathroom.
The bathroom was spacious and well-appointed with a comfortable soaker tub and a good selection of toiletries supplied. The main room included a sofa, king size bed and fireplace. A lovely deck with ocean views was located off the main room also.
We appreciated the pleasant decor and the spaciousness of the suite.
Breakfast was very lovely and I found the dining room especially attractive. I enjoyed the ability to select some of my breakfast options and portion sizes as I needed to control my blood sugar.
Sylvia was available each day for help planning day trips if desired. Her staff was competent and most pleasant. We would definitely stay at Fairholme again.

• Liked — The atmosphere of Fairholme
  • Disliked — the stairs to the second floor
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
dallas
Reviewed October 23, 2008

I have been to british columbia a number of times over the past 20 years and always seek different accommodations depending on the nature of my trip and who i am travelling with. This time the Fairholme met my needs perfectly. Sylvia and Ross have done a fabulous job with the renovation...the exterior is welcoming with the beautiful gardens and the interior is exquisite in finishing details. I stayed in Penthouse Suite which is a very large space and was like an apartment as it had a hall, a living/dining area, a kitchen, large bedroom and large bathroom.. I really appreciated that the furnishings, color palatte, linens were in soothing combinations instead of flowery, gaudy patterns you often find in Victorian styled homes. The small details included beautiful fresh flowers and a comprehensive folder that reviewed activities and eating establishments. The bed was oh so cozy! The room was very quiet and I appreciated the blackout shade.

Of course, all reviewers seem to agree that the level of food served here is more like a fine dining experience. The cold course buffet offers in-house made granola, yogurt, gorgeous fresh fruit (4 types offered), tasty freshly baked bread items....then the hot course selection was, on my two mornings, a frittata with bacon, and second morning a luscious ricotta pancake(s) with bacon. Perfectly cooked, beautifully presented with touches of edible flowers, or snippets of herbs from the garden. I ended up buying two cookbooks: one to keep, one to gift.

Last, but certainly not least, Sylvia makes her presence as the hostess extraordinaire! Any questions, requests or recommendations are quickly responded to.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Ajax,On
Reviewed October 22, 2008

We have been singing the praises of Sylvia's beautiful manor since we have left and it has spoilt us for other places. Not only was the Manor a beautiful and pleasant place to stay, Sylvia and her staff were incredible. The breakfasts superb; the gardens wonderful; the view from our balcony (we were in the Rose Garden Suite) was breathtaking; the advise on where to eat right on the money. The only problem was: we could have stayed much, much longer. I have already made and am enjoying Slyvia's granola - yummy. This was a special trip that had been planned before my sister died suddenly and Sylvia's empathy,generosity and kindness were outstanding - my sister would have loved Fairholme Manor. Enjoy yourselves and don't forget to buy The Book! Thanks Sylvia - you are the Best. Robert and Cynthia McLuckie (Ajax, On)| and Rodney Ayres (UK)

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed September 8, 2008

We can only try to limit our comments of praise regarding the Fairholme Manor. My wife and I in this last year traveled to 7 countries, 4 continents, 25 States. We have stayed in B&B's in various states and in Europe. We live in Vegas - the disputed hospitality capital of the world. Im a researcher and research I did to find the perfect place for our first born's babymoon in March. First, we had tremendous trouble with our flight (Philippine Air) who lost all of our luggage - causing us to be delayed at the airport for some time. Ross and Silvia were so accommodating they stayed up late for us and even eventually prioritized waiting on our luggage to be delivered (one day before we left on our week long stay). However, during the delay of our clothing Silvia and Ross loaned us coats and things so we wouldn't have to buy more large items that we would never use in Vegas. So we cannot say thank you enough to Ross and Silvia we felt like family.

Secondarily, the Rooms...Wow...so well done but not over the top, more modern than antique - which suited us perfectly. we stayed in the suite with a kitchenette and loved every moment. We then moved to the signature Olympic grand suite for the final leg of our stay - the views of the ocean and the Olympic mountains in Washington was breath taking.

Third, the Breakfasts...astounding. We of course loved it all so much we bought the cook book which by the way has not let us down once in all the recipes we have tried thus far. We were blown away...we often day, or morning, dream of the breakfasts we had there in only a week. The Granola alone is to die for.

This beautifully placed, beautifully kept gem of a B&B is off the beaten path but that adds to its charm. it is with in walking distance of nearly everything and with Ross and Silvia as concierges you cannot loose on local restaurants ( especially Camilles - to this day the best meal we have every had...ever) and sites to see.

My work has tied us down at the present but we can only wait for our return...and we rarely go to the same place more than once but for the Fairholme we must. A true 6 out of 5 Stars.

Blessings,
N and S

• Liked — The Hosts
  • Disliked — We had to leave
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed May 12, 2008

My husband and I planned our anniversary trip and needed a stop over in Victoria before heading over to the west coast. We are particular in our taste but at the same time did not want to break the bank for a short one night. Fairholme was perfect. When I called and spoke to Sylvia she told me about a room not listed on the website. Though small it fit all our needs perfectly as well as the price. It was the small room downstairs, beautiful decorated, comfortable bed and great tub. We did get to peek at theother rooms and when we return we plan on staying in one of the fabulous bigger rooms. Wow!!! The breakfast was yummy. She knows her stuff and loves cookng. We enjoyed the other guests and could not say one negative thing about our visit. Sylvia even recommended a great Thai restuarant we LOVED! I did a lot of homework on trip advisor prior to this trip and this place was amazing. Please do not hesitate to stay if you are considering it. Thanks Sylvia!!!!!

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed in the Grand Suite on March 28th and 29th of 2008 and had a wonderful, relaxing weekend. The suite was amazing! It had a very comfortable king size bed and the biggest bathroom I’ve ever seen. It was nice to relax in the jacuzzi bath tub after a long day of walking in the city. The suite also over-looked the beautiful gardens which was nice.

The location of the Inn is great because it’s only a brisk 15 minute walk from downtown. Sylvia, Fairholme’s gracious host, was fantastic! She was always very helpful with recommendations on what to see or where to go for dinner. If you have the chance, I would definitely have her book you an in-suite massage. My husband and I had the 90 minute couples massage and it was the best we’ve ever had!

All I can say about the breakfast is WOW! The home-made granola with yogurt was so good and there was always fresh fruit and baked goods. The hot entrees were to die for! If you’re a foodie like me, you’ll definitely want to pick up Sylvia’s cookbook. The scone recipe is fantastic!

Overall our experience at Fairholme was superb. We would not hesitate to recommend this Inn to anyone visiting Victoria. You won’t be disappointed!

• Liked — Friendly staff, great food, fabulous room
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple