“Good service and food”

Description: Same owners as Bistro 28 in Victoria
Austin, Texas
“Good service and food”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Lovely meal in nice stylish setting. The service was great! I had the halibut which was nice and the cocktail selection was great. I would go back!

• Visited October 2012

Victoria, Canada
“Better than "Average," not quite "Very Good."”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We've been to Bistro 28 a number of times and have always enjoyed the food and found the service good. This was our second visit to The Black Hat and overall I'd have to say that we were a bit disappointed. There was nothing wrong with the food but I simply can't rate it in the "very good" category, though to be fair it probably deserves something a bit better than "average." (The quandry of the rating system.) We were more disappointed in the service than anything. Although the room was less than one-third full, our server was more than a little bit inattentive.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Bob T
“Move on”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Given the prior reviews we were surprised with the quality of food. We are not really picky and I have not had more than a couple of poor meals from nice establishments in my life, however this was one of them. The service was also bad do to a new undertrained and overwhelmed waiter.

4 Thank Uwmatt1
Redondo Beach, CA
“Fab Food!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Visited this restaurant twice while in Victoria. (We rarely do that, but enjoyed the first meal so much we had to go back.) The charcuterie board is scrumptious, especially the liver pate. I know it doesn't sound good. I don't even like liver, but I loved this! The dry ribs were out of this world! They have a good selection of beers and wine as well, and friendly wait staff. Prices are generally reasonable aside from the $12 salads, which are not entree salads, but they were very good as well. Atmosphere is "casual fine dining".

Loved it!

• Visited July 2012
Victoria, Canada
“Good Food in modern setting”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband, myself and my niece who was visiting from N.B. decided to try this new restaurant on a Sunday night. All the wines by the glass are $7.00 and that is a very good thing. We were greeted at the door and sat pretty well right away. The restaurant was not very busy so we did get all the attention. It is a new decor of open concept with open kitchen and easy on the eye colours. Music was soft and varied which is very good. The service was good and the food was quite enjoyable. I had the duck breast and a ceasar salad before. It was quite tasty but a bit different with the lettuce being blackened on the grill. The other two with me had the sockeye salmon and they said it was very good. The dessert were nice but nothing unusual. It was not what I was expecting as far as atmosphere. It felt dull and cold. Perhaps because the main floor was so empty. It is really very pricey even with the wines at $7.00 per glass. The atmosphere was not there but I hope they liven up at a later time. I would give it another try though.

• Visited June 2012