“Very slow service”

Lao Vientiane
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: New restaurant (open only two weeks) Thai and Laotian Cuisine.
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Decided take my kids to Lao Vientiane for Father's Day. This would be my 3rd visit since I thought the food was great. The place was about a quarter full so not busy. We were seated then left to wait without any recognition. One waitress working which is rather new being there about 2 weeks. Finally came to our table so we ordered the appy spring roll, the drinks and main meal since I didn't think I would see her again for another 20 minutes. Didn't ask what meat we wanted with each order and how spicy and I forgot to tell her. The dishes all came with chicken. We also ordered the ginger beef but there were more veggies than beef!
The food is good but service unfortunately isn't. Each time I've been at this restaurant the floor and table was sticky. The restaurant business is a tough game so you would think service would be above and beyond. I will not be going back.

1  Thank Sculpin14

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Today I went to this restaraunt and asked for hot water to heat up my daughters (23 days old) milk. They kindly gave it to me and then I went to the bathroom with my three year old son and 23 day old daughter. I am an amputee ( I lost my leg due to a Kotor vehicle accident) and I use a power wheelchair. Now I understood they had no problem with me using the washroom so I went in there with my two kids. My daughter was hungry so I fed her and then changed her poppy which took me about 15-20 min. Also, I carry my breast pump with me and started pumping milk . this takes roughly a half an hour to do. About a half an hour of me being the bathroom, one of the restaraunt staff knocked on the door and asked if everything was alright. I Told her I was fine and I was just pumping and I fed and changed my daughter. She said okay and then left. Approx 10 min later she came back and asked if everything was okay again. I told her I'm fine , I'm almost done. Would you like to come in to see everything is fine? She said no and walked away. Just as I was packing everything and I was about to leave I get another knock on the door. this time it was saanich police. The staff called the police on a disabled mom who was taking care of her newborn baby. I find this appalling!! I felt very embarrassed and tears were streaming down my face. I didnt do anything wrong. I feel they were very discriminating. Please everyone spread the word about this restaraunt and how they treat people! I already took this to the news. Thank you for listening.

1  Thank chantell90
Reviewed May 7, 2014

As other reviewers have mentioned, the decor is less than appealing; however, the food is great! Everything was very fresh, authenic and arrived at our table hot. Servers are pleasant and premises are clean; this together with great food makes up for the very ordinary premises. Five of us went recently, and because we did not have any liquor or other beverages, our cheque was only about $65.

Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

When we arrived 1/3 of the tables were filled and there was one server who was almost running between the kitchen and tables. Although it took a long time to place our order we were fine seeing this one waitress was answering the phone, serving, busing and handling check out. But then reinforcements arrived in the form of a condescending female that knew nothing of team work. Her tone to the coworker was rude and condescending and instead of identifying what needed to be done and doing it she told her coworker loudly. When a customer came in and said he had a reservation for eight and questioned why the table was not ready, no apology was given. Instead, we heard the owners were on vacation, the other server was in training and had not even turned on the lights and that she had to miss class to come in. The food although good was not at the same level as prior visits. Service really does make the difference.

1  Thank cwbyjnks
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had a pleasant dinner at the family-run Lao Vientiane. It's in Saanich plaza, between the Uptown and the Saanich City Hall, so it's in a convenient location.

The atmosphere is simple and decor functional. Windows on three sides gives lots of light.

The menu had many items that we've seen in Vietnamese restaurants and there are some items we've not seen elsewhere. We were pleased to try grilled eggplant with ground pork in a hot sauce. The black rice dessert was soupy and tasty.