“Hands down the best Lao/Thai food in Victoria”
Review of Lao Vientiane - CLOSED

Lao Vientiane
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: New restaurant (open only two weeks) Thai and Laotian Cuisine.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I used to live five minutes from this restaurant when it first opened. I've been eating there ever since. I have been to Thailand and Laos, and while this is definitely more fusion than authentic, it is flavoured and cooked true to southeast Asian standards. The ingredients are fresh and high quality. The service was mediocre, I usually get delivery, anyways. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have been coming here for dinner off and on since this restaurant opened. The service has always been slow and confusing but food has been excellent. Tonight there was only one waitress working for the entire restaurant. My dish lacked flavor and I noticed most of the tables were dirty. A table of 3 got fed up with waiting to be served that they got up and left. I noticed that the husband of the owner actually served whereas previous times he just stood behind the bar and did nothing. My husband ordered rice after he received his dish but it took so long for the rice to come that he finished his dish and we ended up canceling the rice. We did not receive our iced tea and iced coffee until we finished eating. We will probably never return to this place. What a shame if this restaurant closes as it is Jess's dream. I hope they read these reviews and make improvements with the service then we may possibly reconsider coming back.

2  Thank Anna and Ron K
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I have eaten at Lao Vientiane several times and ordered delivery (online, hooray!) at least a dozen times. Why? Because it's so delicious! We've tried several other Thai restaurants in Victoria, but were always disappointed. We were pretty much ready to give up, but then we stumbled upon Lao Vientiane. My husband usually gets one of the curries - green, red, or yellow - and loves all of them. I go between 43 Kua Pho Jae and 33 Kua Nor Mai. We almost always get coconut rice and a side of peanut sauce. The free delivery (I think it's within 4 miles, min order $25) is great too.

2  Thank shreddywa
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We went there for a Birthday for our Chinese student, along wih a good friend. We ordered 3main dishes plus the Pork Egg Rolls as a appetizer, a sticky rice. We thoroughly enjoyed all our dishes, food was so fresh tasting, and really enoyed lit. The service was great and atmosphere was good. We will be back. Thank you for making this'd a special birthday for our student. Well Done!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have eaten here before and really enjoyed the food but not the slow service. This has improved. A group of us shared the food. The menu offers a wide choice, everything on the menu looks wonderful - hard to decide. The server was friendly and helpful. Food came quickly and all items were great. One member of our group is extremely difficult to please and has almost never had a pleasant restaurant experience. She really enjoyed the food and this is a good sign. Background music was pleasant but a little to loud and a little too intrusive - just my opinion. Will be returning.